Reality Is A Strange Loop

By Leo Gura - December 4, 2017 | 13 Comments

A guided tour through Douglas Hofstadter’s paradoxical concept of ‘strange loops’

Comments
Karn says:

I’ve been watching your videos since last one year, and I find the recent videos very profound and very helpful. A major shift in perception occurred to me during the last video and this one took me even further.

There are appearances, and ‘I’ doesn’t exist. But how are appearances getting cognized if ‘I’ doesn’t exist? and by whom? Maybe….I am the appearances!Yes!
Then it was mind=blown!

It is pretty amazing that you are going to upload even more advanced stuff in your next videos. Eagerly waiting. I admire the hard work you put in. Thanks!

Bartosz says:

Hey Leo
What I understood from that particular video, is that God evolved in men-kinde to see himself or, to see what He has done yet.
I am wondering what will be next.
I like very much your videos. Keep going.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Bartosz

Galyna says:

Leo,

I am confused, in your videos you often say that time is illusion and DOES NOT exist, however you refer to events happening in the past before our life times.

How can this be? Why would you do it if it is a contradiction?

Hugs,

Galyna.

Human language is inherently dualistic, materialistic, and infested with sloppy conventional notions. It is the language of the mundane illusory world.

Basically, nothing exists. Not time, not space, not matter, not energy, not human beings, not objects, not even a self, not even the universe.

But that is only true from an extremely high level of consciousness: nonduality. It’s only true from outside the illusory world of Maya in which most people live.

Conventionally-speaking, from inside the world of Maya, we can speak of time as existing. Time is a human invention. It was invented to help us coordinate our activities. In the same way that we invented math, science, government, money, and million other things.

Einstein clearly proved that time is illusory. Time relative to your velocity. If you were going at the speed of light, time would freeze to zero. That’s standard scientific theory today.

You know how Einstein defined time: “the thing a clock measures”. So there really is no time. There is only measurements of stuff moving which give the illusion of time. It’s also possible to become conscious that time is a human fabrication.

Dan says:

It seems Tesla’s theory of 3,6,9 is also a strangeloop.

Mayur says:

Though, your old videos helped me get out of depression which otherwise didn’t seem possible through other videos on YouTube that I came across. Your way was something different.
And then you took all this to whole different….
Ohh I can’t speak.

Hristo says:

Amazing! So obvious yet I was never really aware of it. Also, to put it in another way, reality is the ultimate perpetual motion machine – there is nothing outside of it to fuel it, there is nothing outside of it where a “lost” energy would be stored, so it is the very definition of a perpetual motion machine. Totally mind fucked.

Spider Jerusalem says:

Thanks Leo, I appreciate all the hard work you put into every video. In this particular video, when you talked about the special definition of reality in that everything gets included in it (by definition!), I finally understood the meaning of a quote from Wei Wu Wei’s book Posthumous Pieces – “…all that appears is appearance and there can be no other appearance other than what appears.” Makes perfect sense now

Yes. Now you’re starting to see why reality must be ONE. There cannot even be a void in which reality takes place, because the void will also have to be included inside of reality.

Reality swallows absolutely everything.

Leo, I just flipped my script on or about Oct 18th after trying to diagnose a friends issue (go figure), and it’s taken about a month to both eliminate what was left of myself and to come to your conclusion. The way you said it, gave me a further “bump” being slightly different from my own observation but right on the money. So from the one that is here to the one that is there, your comment came from my mouth to your ear and I appreciated it all the more for having done so.

Marco says:

What is written in this buddhist text matches with Leos zip-file methaphor

Fifty Verses on the Nature of Consciousness

THICH NHAT HANH

Part 1. Store Consciousness

One

Mind is a field In which every kind of seed is sown.
This mind-field can also be called “All the seeds”.

Two

In us are infinite varieties of seeds – Seeds of samsara, nirvana, delusion, and enlightenment, Seeds of suffering and happiness, Seeds of perceptions, names, and words.

Brooke says:

Well Leo gave me ego death about a month ago. And now materialism death lol I just made that up. It should be a term though. materialism death.
Though breaking down materialism was essentail for me for ego death, this just knocked any of my preconceived paradigm’s out of the park. But something can not be outside of the park without having existed in the park in the first place to be perceived outside of it. simultaneously being in the park and outside of it. all one. grins

Brooke says:

I had to watch this video seven times and take notes everytime. I think I will have to watch it more before I can watch the next video. Soooooooooooooo much to learn. So beautiful.