How To Never Quit - The Key To Reframing The Toughtest Obstacles
By Leo Gura - January 15, 2014 | 10 Comments
A radical, powerful way of looking at obstacles so that you never fall off track with your important goals ever again.
The Defining Moment
- The defining moment in any endeavor or project that you undertake is the point when you feel like all is lost and you will give up.
- The project either becomes too stressful, too challenging, or too mundane.
- Your mind is a master at coming up with excuses for why to quit.
- But this is exactly the moment you should be excited about, because this is what separates the winners from the losers!
- You have to realize that that moment when you feel like quitting is critical to your success.
Winners vs Losers
- Really successful people, world-class performers, are the ones who lean into the defining moments. They know that obstacles are directly create their success.
- Mediocre, average people are the ones who quit because they trick themselves into believing that an obstacle is a sign of serious trouble.
- To achieve anything big in life you’re going to have to learn how to reframe obstacles into opportunities.
- Successful people do this naturally. They realize that obstacles grow them, toughen them up, and separate them from the competition.
- The reason most people are mediocre is because they only want to do the things that are easy and comfortable.
- The point where most people give up is the point where you have to keep going!
Your Brain Is A Thermostat
- Your brain will always try to keep you in homeostasis, even when you’re trying to make a positive change in yourself.
- Most people are always eager at the beginning of an endeavor, that’s easy. What difficult is pushing through when you feel like giving up.
- Most people don’t realize that their brains will naturally send them signals to quit once they push their comfort zone a little bit.
- Your brain works like a thermostat, locking you into whatever mode of performance that you’ve recently been at.
- Changing the thermostat takes extraordinary effort.
- Any time you try to change your thermostat, you will feel resistance and discomfort.
Value = What’s Rare
- Realize that the reason you chose to pursue that big goal of yours in the first place is because it’s valuable, rare, and difficult to achieve.
- It must be this way. If your goal was insignificant, commonplace, or easy to achieve, you would either already have it or you wouldn’t want it.
- For example, if you’re trying to become a doctor, the reason a doctor is so respected and well-paid is because it takes a lot of hard work to become one.
- For example, if you’re trying to start a business in a new market, the reason that market is lucrative and open is because it takes a lot of hard work to exploit it.
- Consider the vast disparity in effort required to become a doctor vs flipping burgers at McDonald’s.
Everyone’s In The Same Boat
- The next time you’re feeling discouraged about your big endeavor, tell yourself to get excited. Because this obstacle will set you apart from everyone else!
- Knowing that most people are quitters, you can get doubly-excited about every obstacle because you know it will set you apart.
- Every extra mile that you run in a marathon race is an extra mile that someone else will quit.
- You have to keep reminding yourself that every obstacle you face, others will face.
- This holds true for obstacles that don’t seem like obstacles: like the boredom you might be facing in your career right now.
- Don’t get discouraged! Everyone will experience lulls in their career. That’s just part of the game.
- Whether your journey is smooth or rocky doesn’t matter. Ultimately all that matters is that you stay on the journey until the very end.
Seth Godin’s Dip
- Seth Godin talks about this topic in his brilliant little book, The Dip.
- Godin calls The Dip that moment when you are ready to throw in the towel.
- The key is to ask yourself in that moment whether the endeavor you’re about to quit has heart and long-term potential. If it does, you MUST NOT quit!
- The only endeavors you’re allowed to quit are the ones that have no long-term potential or conflict with your higher values.
- If you know the endeavor you’re working on is meaningful, then you just have to reframe every major obstacle as getting you one step closer.
- Not only is the dip weeding out the competition, it’s also making your stronger, smarter, and more resilient.
- Just the mere fact that you toughed it out past a major obstacle gives you incredible growth and personal power.
- If you want to become world-class at anything, the only way is by going through obstacle after obstacle as your competitions gets weeded out.
- If you want to be a well-known actor, a musician, a politician, or a successful entrepreneur, you will have to go through a gauntlet to filter you out from the crowd.
- The best filter of winners vs loser is emotional labor. Winners are always willing to endure emotional hardship to reach their goals. Loser never are.
- Sure, everyone would like to be an actor, an entrepreneur, or an athlete, but are they willing to pay the cost?
- There are millions of people that want things for free or at low cost. There a many who want things at medium cost and even high cost. But very few want something at great cost.
- The ultimate competitive advantage is being willing to pay extraordinary cost to get what you want.
Purpose & Vision
- Having a life purpose is so important. It will help you stay on track and tell yourself that the hard work is worth it.
- What you need to persevere past all the challenges is true vision: a crystal-clear picture of your dream.
- If you don’t have a vision right now, or your vision is lacking, don’t despair. Vision can be deliberately created.
- From now on, start seeing every obstacle in your way as a huge opportunity for you to advance and set yourself apart.
- The next time something catastrophic happens with your endeavor, tell yourself that you just have to keep going.
Bottom Line: Don’t let obstacles discourage you. Start reframing every obstacle as a big opportunity to set yourself apart.
Come join the Actualized.org Forum! Meet like-minded people & transform your life.