Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr_engineer

What is your opinion on interrupting people?

4 posts in this topic

Is it a good habit or bad habit, socially? Is it appropriate or inappropriate? 

I used to think of it as a bad habit, because I hated it when others did it. Yes, there were those people who kept talking on and on and on. I had two strategies to deal with such people. Either be a good listener and listen to what they're saying, if it's interesting. Or, if they're boring, avoid them. 

But then, in a recent situation where they wouldn't stop talking, I realized the reason for it. It's that they're not a curious person. And, I realized that not only are they boring right now, they're never going to stop being boring, because they're not learning anything new! Nothing new is entering their mind, because they're not learning. 

So, my new rule - if they're being boring, it's okay to interrupt them. If they're interesting, they can keep talking!

Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, mr_engineer said:

Is it a good habit or bad habit, socially? Is it appropriate or inappropriate? 

I used to think of it as a bad habit, because I hated it when others did it. Yes, there were those people who kept talking on and on and on. I had two strategies to deal with such people. Either be a good listener and listen to what they're saying, if it's interesting. Or, if they're boring, avoid them. 

But then, in a recent situation where they wouldn't stop talking, I realized the reason for it. It's that they're not a curious person. And, I realized that not only are they boring right now, they're never going to stop being boring, because they're not learning anything new! Nothing new is entering their mind, because they're not learning. 

So, my new rule - if they're being boring, it's okay to interrupt them. If they're interesting, they can keep talking!

Thoughts? 

If you start ranting in front of me, especially if you interrupt me, I'll straight up turn my back and walk away.

This is not a black or white thing. You can definitely interrupt. But it has to be calibrated and mostly done in a subtle way.

Connect with me on Instagram: instagram.com/miguetran

it's not a good look. 

I generally shy away from people who do it. They either lack rudimentary social understanding, or they don't respect the person they do it towards. 

It doesn't take much mental effort to know when a sentence ends or when a person has completed their thoughts. 

Not everybody is equally as socially skilled. Even people who appear confident amongst people or outgoing and connected can have quite bad social skills. Some people just connect with peole well due to looks or accident of personality and circumstance. Or they're around people of a similar attidue/character type.