Growly

Diet crisis

35 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Growly said:

@Leo Gura What diet do you have, so I can mimic it..

Why, do you have the same physiology as Leo?  What works for him won't necessarily work for you.

Just try cutting out or minimizing processed carbs, added sugars, and whatever you seem to have a negative reaction to.  That goes a long way.

16 hours ago, Growly said:

I tested out vegan diet, and it doesn't work for me... but it used to when I was 19. 

Can someone recommend me diets that aren't related to veganism? I know some already but I want to hear your guys' opinions and thoughts

What you are looking for is not a particular diet, but healthy & sustainable diet patterns.
Judging by your replies, you seem to be almost anxious about this stuff - but this is exactly the first pitfall when it comes to eating healthy.
Don't stress yourself out about reaching some "ideal" - sustainability takes root in slow progress & thoughtful interaction. You don't want to force yourself on a diet which isn't palatable to your specific needs - you need to find out what works for you and not copy someone's else diet plan.

When it comes to "what to eat" - there is an easy rule to follow: Eat real food, mostly plants & not too much. 
Notice that this is not a particular diet, but a pattern - from a health perspective, most of your diet should be focused around plant-products but could and in my opinion should involve some amount of animal products. Use extra virgin olive oil instead of butter. Prefer healthy snacking (nuts, berries, dates...) over that Mars-bar. Focus on eating real food - meaning cut out all the processed garbage - most people suck at cooking and therefore have to rely on precooked stuff or fast-food suppliers.  Not too much - meaning that you eat according to your specific caloric needs. 

The one goal you should try to hit every day from a macronutrient point of view is around 1-1,5mg/kg of protein intake. If  you are physically active/lift weights, then try to get closer to the 1,5mg/kg point. 

If you just follow this simple but effective pattern, you will be fine health wise. 
You don't need to be perfect when it comes to dieting - I personally follow a 80/20 approach, where I eat a mediterranian style diet for 80+% of the time and induldge in garbage food once or twice a week. It works because it's sustainable - sometimes I just crave a pizza or a fatty burger with fries - and there is nothing wrong with it. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Don't take any medication to sleep, it's a trap.
Even an antihistamine like doxylamine will somewhat decrease the ability to fall asleep the next night.
I think it's even worse for benzodiazepines, lyrica or stuff like that.

The best thing to do is to completely stop worrying about insomnia, stop typing the word insomnia on Google, stop talking about it, etc.
Then, don't think about it either once you're in bed, telling yourself that it will probably be another sleepless night or so and that there is nothing to do. The less you worry the better.
You have to trust that you are going to fall asleep, it's really a question of trust and nothing else. Just worry a little too much and you may not be able to fall asleep as a result.
If you can't sleep because your mind is too active, don't think that you can't sleep because of your brain, assume that you choose not to sleep because thinking about something is more interesting, and that you could take a nap when you have the time/desire.

Don't masturbate at night, an average person who doesn't have a hypervigilence problem can "benefit" from the increase in prolactin but depending on your neurological patterns, you may find yourself even more alert after orgasm.
Sexual excitement actually tends to sedate me, probably because the increase in dopaminergic and even norephedrinergic signaling decreases alertness.

Stop listening to loud music and doing loud activities during the day, do much gentler things like working, listening to classical music etc.
As a general rule, stop believing that what you imagine and do is important, if it means anything.

Do not do sports or intellectually stimulating things after 6 p.m. Get into mental retardation lol.

Avoid EMF signals.

The devil is in the details.

Don't worry about your diet. Eat whatever makes you happy as long as it remains generally balanced/nutritious. At worst, consider taking vitamins.

Btw, without going into detail, if you are thin and chronically low on calories this could be bad for sleep.

Edited by Schizophonia

15 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Why are people always asking @Schizophoniafor health advice. He's just a walking pharmacy about to turn into a Northropic pill.

:P:)

16 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Why are people always asking @Schizophoniafor health advice. He's just a walking pharmacy about to turn into a Northropic pill.

I would make fun of him too but he gets mad, I guess being French is enough of a downside.

Personally, I believe in diets that best optimize for key health biomarkers, like Bryan Johnson's blueprint, however, It's a vegan diet. I would personally get myself tested and see how I can improve from there. Visceral fat or any kind of fat that spills where fat isn't supposed to be, grip strength, muscle mass, VO2 max, ApoB, etc... you want to follow the science not bullshit.

If you want to feel better every day, It's very likely that sun exposure, exercise, and sleep are going to be much much much more effective. Diet is simply there to support those 3 things. You can nail those 3 things and completely miss with your cheeseburger-based diet, and as long as you're getting enough calories to make up for that wasted energy from exercise, you'll feel good. Whereas if you get the best possible diet but completely miss any one of those things, you'll feel like a zombie. It's not a fancy answer, but a simple one at least.

Any kind of diet should always start with throwing out the real killers, the highly processed foods, sausages, burgers, pizzas, kebaps, milkshakes, crackers, ice cream, chocolate, etc...

Edited by MarkKol

8 hours ago, undeather said:

What you are looking for is not a particular diet, but healthy & sustainable diet patterns.
Judging by your replies, you seem to be almost anxious about this stuff - but this is exactly the first pitfall when it comes to eating healthy.
Don't stress yourself out about reaching some "ideal" - sustainability takes root in slow progress & thoughtful interaction. You don't want to force yourself on a diet which isn't palatable to your specific needs - you need to find out what works for you and not copy someone's else diet plan.

When it comes to "what to eat" - there is an easy rule to follow: Eat real food, mostly plants & not too much. 
Notice that this is not a particular diet, but a pattern - from a health perspective, most of your diet should be focused around plant-products but could and in my opinion should involve some amount of animal products. Use extra virgin olive oil instead of butter. Prefer healthy snacking (nuts, berries, dates...) over that Mars-bar. Focus on eating real food - meaning cut out all the processed garbage - most people suck at cooking and therefore have to rely on precooked stuff or fast-food suppliers.  Not too much - meaning that you eat according to your specific caloric needs. 

The one goal you should try to hit every day from a macronutrient point of view is around 1-1,5mg/kg of protein intake. If  you are physically active/lift weights, then try to get closer to the 1,5mg/kg point. 

If you just follow this simple but effective pattern, you will be fine health wise. 
You don't need to be perfect when it comes to dieting - I personally follow a 80/20 approach, where I eat a mediterranian style diet for 80+% of the time and induldge in garbage food once or twice a week. It works because it's sustainable - sometimes I just crave a pizza or a fatty burger with fries - and there is nothing wrong with it. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. 

That's it, you're hired as a guide in this department and @Schizophonia is fired. Lol

Know thyself....

1 hour ago, Schizophonia said:

:P:)

You're fired. Come to my office.

Know thyself....

15 hours ago, Growly said:

@Leo Gura What diet do you have, so I can mimic it..

This is so absurd. He's on the tits and ass diet. Go mimic that.

Know thyself....

48 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

You're fired. Come to my office.

Oh noo, mistress :o

1 hour ago, MarkKol said:

I would make fun of him too but he gets mad, I guess being French is enough of a downside.

Fake 

3 hours ago, Growly said:

Leo is High IQ

Leo could have an IQ of 200 and it doesn't mean the diet he keeps would be right for you.  Do you understand the basic idea that the right diet for you may not be the same as for him because you have different responses to different foods?