LoneWonderer

I'm Finally Going Vegan (at least for a month)

66 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ZenAlex said:

Then why bring it up then? If you bring up a point like that it would imply that you're using it as an argument against Veganism.

I respond to the insinuation that it is “hygienism” which leads to the need for animal products for b12, it is a conspiracy theory conveyed by certain media-visited vegan figures.
You have deduced on your own the anti-veganism argument which naturally follows from this.

And there you go "interest". That is probably the main reason you're not vegan, you simply just don't want to, not because you can prove it's insufficient to be healthy. 

That's right, I'm not interested in a "good enough to be healthy" diet.

Ethically becoming more plant based is the way to go, environmentally it definitely is better. Healthwise the science suggests you can be healthy being vegan. 

I don't know where your ethics come from, concepts like this only concern you.

The devil is in the details.

1 hour ago, Schizophonia said:

I respond to the insinuation that it is “hygienism” which leads to the need for animal products for b12, it is a conspiracy theory conveyed by certain media-visited vegan figures.
You have deduced on your own the anti-veganism argument which naturally follows from this.

That's right, I'm not interested in a "good enough to be healthy" diet.

I don't know where your ethics come from, concepts like this only concern you.

Ethics - If we don't have to exploit animals for food, then we shouldn't? It's unnecessary suffering inflicted on sentient beings for nothing other than pleasure and it damages the environment far more than well sourced plant based diets.

"Good enough to be healthy". Not just that, it can be used to meet your nutritional requirements and I've met vegan bodybuilders and athletes. 

I see no evidence which suggests that diets with animal products are healthier, they are just easier to pull off.

2 hours ago, ZenAlex said:

Ethics - If we don't have to exploit animals for food, then we shouldn't? It's unnecessary suffering inflicted on sentient beings for nothing other than pleasure

And ?

I don't care about animals die for "my pleasure".

You too are selfish, it's just that your empathy and especially your ego are calibrated to avoid accepting that it happens.
I am calibrated in another way, if you do not accept that you only have to campaign for the extermination of all the meadows

and it damages the environment far more than well sourced plant based diets.

Everything you do that induces a post industrial standard of living potentially contributes to polluting.

"Good enough to be healthy". Not just that, it can be used to meet your nutritional requirements and I've met vegan bodybuilders and athletes. 

I see no evidence which suggests that diets with animal products are healthier, they are just easier to pull off.

It's fantastic for them. 👍

went vegan for 2 years+ at first i felt great later on i kept telling myself that i'm *detoxing* and i kept feeling like crap for a long ass time, till i ate some eggs and overnight all my health issue symptoms went away, i like a lot of dairy and have lots of eggs through the month i feel the best on that over meats i've noticed, i do eat some nuts/fruits/vegies on the side, i guess i'm accidentally vegetarian surprisingly

i did try carnivore that just makes me constipated, keto isn't sustainable for me either

On 1/9/2024 at 0:41 PM, undeather said:

The phenomenon that some individuals on a vegan diet go back to eating meat due to perceived health issues is well known.
And in almost all cases it boils down to either inadequate calorie/macronutrient intake, weird dietary patterns (frutarians, paleo-vegan...) or an insufficient supplementation protocol. I also believe that we tend look for associations when new, often transient and psychophysically triggered health symptoms show up - and diet being one of the primary go to's in that case - despite there being no clear causation under the guise. 

But then, and this is often left out, you definitely have people like Peterson who for whatever reason just come along well with plant-based diets.

That said, in my 10+ years working in the medical field and taking care of many vegan patients in my private practice, I have seen many more cases of drastic health improvements than people getting worse after switching to vegan (which they did in their own interest because I don't advice people to go vegan!). 

Yeah I can only speak from experience. 

Was vegan 8 1/2 years and tbh compared to how I feel now it is night & day difference. IDK why 

I tried everything supplement wise, worked with Michal go gym 4-5 times a week. live very healthy overall 

short term it was amazing and cleared my acne when i was younger 

Long term I felt very tired & lost a lot of ability to focus

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

17 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

And ?

I don't care about animals die for "my pleasure".

I see. 

Bye

44 minutes ago, ZenAlex said:

I see. 

Bye

Be careful for your personal development, not just to get rid of a person because what they say to you hurts your ego.

We are subject to what we think, forgive people for what they think.
Even Hitler.

I choose truth over ego.

22 hours ago, ZenAlex said:

Ethics - If we don't have to exploit animals for food, then we shouldn't? It's unnecessary suffering inflicted on sentient beings for nothing other than pleasure and it damages the environment far more than well sourced plant based diets.

I agree with this. 

However, I cannot deny I literally feel 100x better, have 10x the energy and am just in a better mood on my current diet. 

So, personally I have to put that first. I low key didn't realize how sub-optimal I was feeling before. Crashing after meals, tiredness etc. 

However, if Veganism works for people I 100% support that. I really wish it could've kept working for me, but I couldn't keep going like that TBH 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 12/01/2024 at 3:17 PM, LfcCharlie4 said:

I agree with this. 

However, I cannot deny I literally feel 100x better, have 10x the energy and am just in a better mood on my current diet. 

So, personally I have to put that first. I low key didn't realize how sub-optimal I was feeling before. Crashing after meals, tiredness etc. 

However, if Veganism works for people I 100% support that. I really wish it could've kept working for me, but I couldn't keep going like that TBH 

What does your diet look like today compared to before?

I tried transitioning from a highly processed diet to a vegan diet and literally noticed no noticeable benefit in any shape or form. Although I ate lots of starch from starchy ‘vegetables’ for the calories. Now I’m just focused in reaching 3k calories not sticking to any specific diet besides no processed foods & no wheat. 

I’m interested in trying out a high saturated animal based diet but it doesn’t seem healthy, I trust the medical experts more.

@MarkKol

100% Wholefood (except when alcohol is involved lol) 

Meat, Eggs, Dairy, Fish - All Organic / Grass Fed / Wild Caught only. - Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Salmon, etc etc Greek Yoghurt etc etc

Lots of fruit & veg - all forms & onion / Garlic

Nuts occasionally but cutting atm so not much right now 

Potaetoes / Rice / Organic pasta for Carbs #

Honey too

Collagen powder

Supps - D3 + K2 (live in UK), Creatine, Caffeine I guess if you count it 

This is not perfect, new to this, but very basic / single ingredient. 

Can't describe the difference. Been about a month and feel maybe 100x more energy. 8-10 hour work days + 2x training most days. Even noticed being able to stay in the sauna a lot longer haha 

I used to be vegetarian for 1-2ish years. I kinda got fed up with the basic diet plan of meat+whatever that is normal here in the west. I'm overall happy to have had the experience as it enriched my pallet. Though I eventually stopped caring about abiding by a strict diet and just ate what I liked, the experience expanded my horizon as I discovered food can be very delicious without meat. One of my favorite dishes is vegetarian, paneer korma. Vegetable based food often have very round and mellow tastes with interesting textures. Though they require a lot of saute and spices to bring home the flavor.

When I used to be vegetarian many people would challenge me over it, expecting me to be insufferable about it. I never cared about animals in that way and I think lauding morals over others makes you a pompous cu**.

On 11/01/2024 at 11:35 AM, MarkKol said:

IMG_3207.jpg

Bro, how dry do you want your chicken? it looks like bread.

Veganism has worked for me for 12 years so *shrug*. 

Took two months to adjust from a junk fast food, steak-eating, fried food bacon/eggs diet.

Get a regular B12 boost and plenty of varied fruit/veg. I had more energy than I ever had before. Don't overdo the beans at the start, put up with the detox, which you'll have from all the junk coming out of you. Get through that adjustment and you are done. I found the best B12 boost either a vitamin supplement or yeast extract (I liked the bitter taste).

The only time I felt better was on a raw food diet, with even more nutrients, and less toxins to expel. Energetically you are eating the food in its natural form, uncut or unspoiled which when you are sensitive to such things you can feel the difference. 

Your entire relationship with animals will change when they are no longer food to you, they did for me at least. 

*Though if you want a step above it all, which I understand others will dismiss given their framework for reality. Give thanks when you are having food, put yourself in a state of gratitude when eating. Remember you have a certain level of influence over what it becomes (like all of reality) Help with the heart, help with the injury, help with the mood, help with the headaches, help with whatever it is, ask/instruct yourself. - Humans disconnect themselves energetically from their food with metal cutlery, most cultures anyway, at least tribal ones still used wood. Its all energy, the entire material universe (ask a physicist), and it's all represented by your mind, which you have limited influence over. People call it a placebo effect in modern science (or quantum terms), whatever you call it, use it. Put it in your hands and connect with it on a meaningful level, do this in combination with yoga or Taoist practices, to feel the energetic connection.

Edited by BlueOak

6 hours ago, MarkKol said:

That is bread

Ain't no way

You mix bread in with your cooked veggies and eggs? It'll get soggy!

@BlueOak

5 hours ago, BlueOak said:

Veganism has worked for me for 12 years so *shrug*. 

Took two months to adjust from a junk fast food, steak-eating, fried food bacon/eggs diet.

Get a regular B12 boost and plenty of varied fruit/veg. I had more energy than I ever had before. Don't overdo the beans at the start, put up with the detox, which you'll have from all the junk coming out of you. Get through that adjustment and you are done. I found the best B12 boost either a vitamin supplement or yeast extract (I liked the bitter taste).

The only time I felt better was on a raw food diet, with even more nutrients, and less toxins to expel. Energetically you are eating the food in its natural form, uncut or unspoiled which when you are sensitive to such things you can feel the difference. 

Your entire relationship with animals will change when they are no longer food to you, they did for me at least. 

*Though if you want a step above it all, which I understand others will dismiss given their framework for reality. Give thanks when you are having food, put yourself in a state of gratitude when eating. Remember you have a certain level of influence over what it becomes (like all of reality) Help with the heart, help with the injury, help with the mood, help with the headaches, help with whatever it is, ask/instruct yourself. - Humans disconnect themselves energetically from their food with metal cutlery, most cultures anyway, at least tribal ones still used wood. Its all energy, the entire material universe (ask a physicist), and it's all represented by your mind, which you have limited influence over. People call it a placebo effect in modern science (or quantum terms), whatever you call it, use it. Put it in your hands and connect with it on a meaningful level, do this in combination with yoga or Taoist practices, to feel the energetic connection.

I enjoyed reading this, thanks! 🙏

10 hours ago, Basman said:

You mix bread in with your cooked veggies and eggs? It'll get soggy!

What? That’s chicken not bread

4 hours ago, MarkKol said:

What? That’s chicken not bread

I always eat my chicken almost raw, like beef. Much better, well-cooked chicken is dry and you force yourself to eat it.

Edited by Schizophonia

One thing missing or I missed. I rarely see talked about.

The lighter the food, the less energy is wasted in digestion. If it's a heavy dense food, or processed food - vegan or not, you use more energy in the digestion of it, and therefore feel more tired. You can see easy examples of this when having a very large meal and feeling sleepy.

Things like bread, a biscuit, meat or a banana, eating them in the evening, when bread takes 6 hours or more to digest is not going to let your body rest at night when it needs to. Thus you wake up more tired than necessary. The body gets no time to detox naturally at night, and you get gradual problems. Having that one biscuit at night just before bed is not helping you in the slightest, stick to liquid preferably water if you have to have something.

This is independent of veganism, you can eat junk food as a vegan if you like, and it'll still have this effect.

@LoneWonderer You are welcome, best of luck. Last tip, mixed nuts are a good fallback for a snack or for protein, berry nut mixes are also excellent as a combo.

Edited by BlueOak

45 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

I always eat my chicken almost raw, like beef. Much better, well-cooked chicken is dry and you force yourself to eat it.

Dry chicken is the result of overcooking and letting all of the moisture escape. Under cooking is the opposite extreme and bad for you because of salmonella. A well cooked, juice chicken will always be delicious.

3 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

One thing missing or I missed. I rarely see talked about.

The lighter the food, the less energy is wasted in digestion. If it's a heavy dense food, or processed food - vegan or not, you use more energy in the digestion of it, and therefore feel more tired. You can see easy examples of this when having a very large meal and feeling sleepy.

Things like bread, a biscuit, meat or a banana, eating them in the evening, when bread takes 6 hours or more to digest is not going to let your body rest at night when it needs to. Thus you wake up more tired than necessary. The body gets no time to detox naturally at night, and you get gradual problems.

This is independent of veganism, you can eat junk food as a vegan if you like, and it'll still have this effect.

I think it has more to do with how much you eat. Dense food is easier to overeat because it takes a while before you start feeling full and vegans tend to eat less on average.