ZenAlex

What is optimal Ferritin levels? (Vegan)

16 posts in this topic

Had two tests done. One said I had 42 ug/l, one said 85 ug/l

Both tests were within range but not sure if these are low because different sources give different optimal ranges.

I've been suffering with depression/irritability/anxiety after exercise/physical activity. The more I exercise, the worse I feel. 

I don't know if ferritin is the cause.

Iron is at 15.9 umol/L. Showing on the lower end of the acceptable range.

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Jason Actualization said:

What is your most recent hemoglobin and hematocrit? You are likely mildly anemic.

HAEMOGLOBIN 159g/L

HAEMATOCRIT 0.475 L/L

I remember months ago I had this thing were the sides of my hands were very sensitive to cold surfaces. It went away though eventually.

On 05/01/2024 at 4:03 PM, Jason Actualization said:

What is your most recent hemoglobin and hematocrit? You are likely mildly anemic.

Why would you say mildy anemic bro?

Posted (edited)

Please post your total blood report.
Ferritin is a strongly fluctuating value and the considered safe-range is pretty large. 
If you want me to take interpret your lab, I need more than that.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, ZenAlex said:

Why would you say mildy anemic bro?

Just given your signs/symptoms. We have different standard units for these lab tests in the U.S. so I've done my best to convert them for better understanding. That said, every lab should have their own respective reference ranges built around a bell curve distribution given their specific testing technology, so it's always best to use that as your standard of comparison.

Nevertheless, being on the low end of the iron reference range in concert with the symptoms you're experiencing, leads me to believe you would benefit by upping your intake of iron.

56 minutes ago, Jason Actualization said:

Just given your signs/symptoms. We have different standard units for these lab tests in the U.S. so I've done my best to convert them for better understanding. That said, every lab should have their own respective reference ranges built around a bell curve distribution given their specific testing technology, so it's always best to use that as your standard of comparison.

Nevertheless, being on the low end of the iron reference range in concert with the symptoms you're experiencing, leads me to believe you would benefit by upping your intake of iron.

I am vegan, so understand that non-heme iron is absorbed less, but I consume 20mg per day, which is over 200% of daily RDA. I consume, Cashews, almonds, chia seeds, tofu, oats pretty much every day.

Posted (edited)

Interesting, do you have any lower back pain? Or abdominal discomfort at all?

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 09/01/2024 at 7:20 PM, Thought Art said:

Interesting, do you have any lower back pain? Or abdominal discomfort at all?

I've been getting tightness sometimes in my abdominal area, but I don't know if that's just the result of the exercise induced symptoms.

Why do you ask?

@ZenAlex iron deficiency appears to also be prevalent in long covid patience. Sorry dude, was going through the sub topic and saw this from you. Not stalking you 😄

On 10/02/2024 at 5:12 PM, Charlotte said:

@ZenAlex iron deficiency appears to also be prevalent in long covid patience. Sorry dude, was going through the sub topic and saw this from you. Not stalking you 😄

Haha it's ok. I don't appear to be iron deficient tho.

On 09/01/2024 at 2:20 PM, undeather said:

Please post your total blood report.
Ferritin is a strongly fluctuating value and the considered safe-range is pretty large. 
If you want me to take interpret your lab, I need more than that.

@Jason Actualization

Hello guys.

So the above iron levels were done by a private company in novemeber.

October NHS levels - 48 ug/l for ferritin

November private company  85 (See above)

Just had another NHS test done - Ferritin is 45 ug/l. This is despite eating more meat over the last few weeks.

@undeather You said Ferritin can fluctuate, what do you mean by that?

Also I've noticed that despite consuming more b12 via food over the last 2 weeks, my B12 levels have only slightly increased, and gone from 292 ng/l to 293ng/l (nanograms per lite).

----------

I also asked a doctor about potential pernicous anemia - Here's what he had to say

Thank you for your question about pernicious anaemia. Your full blood count results, especially the haemoglobin and the red cell markers (MCV and MCH), suggest that you are very unlikely to have pernicious anaemia.

In persons with pernicious anaemia the haemoglobin level declines to below the normal ranges (hence the term "anaemia") and the red cell size increase with the MCV and MCH usually above the normal range.

If you have ongoing concerns about the vitamin B12 level you can request a repeat B12 and a blood methylmalonic acid level. This test is rather costly but is a sensitive marker of functional vitamin B12 deficiency. To specifically screen for pernicious anaemia we recommend gastric parietal cell antibody and intrinsic factor antibody testing. However, based on your full blood count results (red cell results) and the vitamin B12 level it is unlikely that you have pernicious anaemia.

@Jason Actualization

Hello Jason. I got some more lab results back, apparently my omega 3 ratio is not good despite supplementing, although the test was BEFORE I started eating meat, especially fish. 

I also had concerning testosterone levels apparently. I have very little sex drive.

Although the total testosterone level is marginally high, it is now generally agreed that the 'free testosterone' is a more accurate estimation of the true testosterone level in the blood. By this reckoning, you do not have excessive testosterone in the body. The high total level is likely to be down to a high level of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) level. SHBG is a protein made by the liver which transports hormones in the blood. It favours testosterone and oestrogen, but can potentially transport all hormones, including thyroid hormones. When hormones are carried on SHBG, they are not active, and only free hormones (those which are unbound) are able to enter cells to cause effect. If SHBG levels are too high, the effective level of hormones may be too low to exert proper effect. SHBG can be elevated after intense training programmes (although will often drop in the immediate aftermath of an event), in hyperthyroid states, if too much thyroxine is taken and if there is chronic liver disease and in other circumstances. Lowering the SHBG level may have an impact upon general performance, and will increase the amount of testosterone available to your body. Increased protein intake and a number of supplements - eg Boron, Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc Vitamin D, Fish oil (or any other polyunsaturated fatty acid supplements) and Tongkat Ali - may all help lower SHBG levels.

The omega 6:omega 3 ratio is on the higher side of the target, at 19.93 :1 - compared to the ideal of less than 2:1. (The report has omitted the ':1', apologies). The omega 3 index at 5.8% is just within the preferred range however (the index is the proportion of your serum that is omega 3 fatty acids). Omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids are 2 different classes of polyunsaturated fats. They are both important constituents of our diet and form building blocks for many substances in our body. Omega 6 fats are primarily converted into a range of pro-inflammatory hormones and omega 3 into anti-inflammatory hormones. A balance of both is important. In a western diet, there tends to be an imbalance in most people because there is a large amount of omega 6 in our diets from chemically extracted vegetable oils, and a relative lack of food sources of omega 3 like cold water fish and grass fed or wild meat. Target ratios are quoted to be between 4:1 and 1:1 of omega 6 to omega 3. Most Americans are believed to have a ratio in the region of 20:1 (similar to your ratio). The ideal omega 3 index is around 8% - most western individuals are in the region of 4%. The hypothesis is that those with too much omega 6 make too many inflammatory substances - which may lead to long term damage to the body. Correcting the balance is possible by increasing the omega 3 intake (1g daily is advised), and reducing the intake of omega 6.

Edited by ZenAlex

It makes no sense that my omegas would be that out of whack.

Before my test I was consuming a DHA supplement every day plus also consuming chia seeds daily and according to cronometer I was getting a great omega 3/6 ratio.