Carl-Richard

The extensive use of archetypes in children's movies

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is something for example Jordan Peterson has commented on as well, but I recently came across a really interesting example of this from a scene in Ice Age 3.

It blends bonfire stories (deeply archetypal), the hero archetype and curiously our evolutionary past as small mammals having to survive the age of the dinosaurs (obviously deeply archetypal) into an extremely captivating and clever scene that touches you somewhere deep. You could imagine that seeing this scene awakens some deep-seated memories from our mammalian ancestors. Also, nothing beats adult jokes in children movies xD

Feel free to post any examples of archetypes in children's movies that spring to mind (or point out any archetypes that I missed from the clip above). I think children's movies that use wild animals as main characters (like Ice Age) are more likely to display this extensive use of archetypes.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I grew up watching Spongebob Squarepants -- which probably explains my postmodernist sympathies lol

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus