shree

How to quit sugar

80 posts in this topic

Sleep also affects my eating habits, it can slow metabolism and magnify stress throwing my entire eating habits out of whack, if I don't sleep well it greatly reduces my appetite which leads to eating at a later inconvenient time and causing low energy and mood, a recipe for disaster. The basics work for me, trying to be satiated from healthy food that I like really curbs cravings, figuring out healthy food that I like and having it available when I need it, weekly meal prep is great for that.

Edited by Devin

3 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

On a side note, and you don't have to comment on it, but I've seen numerous people around me eating the way you're suggesting over the years while telling me about my "natural" cigarette habit and how u should quit and how its bad for me.

I almost never recommended a particular diet. All you are doing is extrapolating from statements I may have made and dishonestly concluding, obviously tacitly because without any real basis/evidence, that I am recommending that people eat golden syrup. and haagn dazs.

On 26/12/2023 at 9:45 PM, Schizophonia said:

Why removing sugar ? 

Food plan idea for low appetite :P :

Breakfast : Miel Pops and whole milk.

Lunch : 250g of ground steak "fried" in a little butter, 100g of black rice (weighed raw) with like 20g of butter or olive oil. Coca Cola or fruit juice for dessert.

Snack : One or several fruits (mandarins, oranges, bananas, red fruits, etc, whatever)

Diner : Vegetable and potatoes soup, with crème fraîche.

In any case that's how I eat, a little inspired by Ray Peat, but despite a history of severe insomnia and lots of bullshit I've been able to do my thyroid functions and my testosterone are excellent.
In fact when it comes to testosterone, when I was almost vegan and a little orthorexic I was at a little over 600ng/dl, now I'm at 1000!

Now, they are the ones with the diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, insomnia, and all kinds of degenerative diseases all from their diet. The only difference with me is because of the way I eat and the things I avoid and the holistic approach in my overall way of living. 

This is just cherry picking to try to contradict me.
Btw you defend the idea that smoking is not so serious if the rest is good, in short you blame me for doing what you are doing here with cigarettes.
Well, sugar is less toxic than tobacco, it's not even comparable.

You also mentioned above about the honey and the sugar. There is a difference with how the body metabolizes RAW honey vs. white sugar- and I stress raw.  

No

There are lots of fake honey on the market and people aren't aware of the big honey scam in the manufacturing industry.

Politically incorrect: Maple syrup and golden syrup taste better than honey :P:)

White flour also spikes your insulin levels more than unrefined flours. 

Yes, I guess it's not that much of a problem depending on the context.

That's the only thing I say, for the 10th time.

I'll leave this at that, and not comment to you anymore in this section when I see you giving advice that is harmful. It's not my place to keep corrected you in this and you are free to consume whatever you want, it's just I would hate to see someone taking it as good advice not realizing how harmful it could be if they are not properly informed about their own bodies and are not vigilant in doing their own research on nutrition and the surrounding areas that it involves. Chow.

beginning the question 101

The devil is in the details.

28 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

This is just cherry picking to try to contradict me.
Btw you defend the idea that smoking is not so serious if the rest is good, in short you blame me for doing what you are doing here with cigarettes.
Well, sugar is less toxic than tobacco, it's not even comparable.

I'm not going to keep arguing with you but I have to comment on this. Most cigarettes out there are laced with 500 different chemicals unrelated to tobacco. Tobacco is a plant that is toxic to humans. I never said it was less toxic or sugar was more toxic because I don't know. All I can say is all these people are eating crap and they don't smoke nor drink as much as I do and they are all sick. 

Did you know that strawberries can help to eliminate tobacco from the lungs. Are you aware there are certain foods that can help to detox the liver and lungs just by eating them regularly. I'm not defending cigarettes nor do I defend the eating of pizza, but I can say it's the quality of cigarettes you smoke (pure tobacco vs. ones laden with amonia, rat poison and other very much toxic ingredients more toxic than tobacco, that's the main culprit. I smoke the ones that are just pure tobacco with no additives even though I'm still aware of the dangers just like I drink plastic bottled water that may have fluoride or pba in it. Eating Ellios brand frozen pizza from the Supermarket with an ingredient list that reads like a drug store is not the same as eating a freshly baked pizza from a bakery. This goes for everything else we consume. It's quality vs quantity.

I'm not just blaming their illnesses just on sugar consumption but from all the other factory processed foods they consumed for years and neglecting to detox their bodies on occasion. They rarely ate whole foods. I would never recommend the smoking of any kind of cigarettes to anyone whether pure or not but you are recommending foods that have been altered in a way that the body doesn't recognize and isn't able to process naturally and that can cause inflammation. Saying it doesn't matter and this or that won't do any harm is irresponsible and can leave someone who doesn't know any better to take your advice on face value. 

It is no coincidence that all these people I have mentioned and all the others I've heard about from friends and or family, and even through the media and also from experts in the field, that they all suffer from certain illnesses that are caused by a particular diet. And it is no coincidence that I have been doctor and dentist free for over 20years while still doing my vices but eating a certain way and mostly avoiding certain foods - most of which you are recommending.

I won't bother to respond anymore as this can go on to infinity while you itemize and rebut every statement I make. Still love you, though.

Edited by Princess Arabia

Know thyself....

13 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

I'm not going to keep arguing with you but I have to comment on this. Most cigarettes out there are laced with 500 different chemicals unrelated to tobacco. Tobacco is a plant that is toxic to humans. I never said it was less toxic or sugar was more toxic because I don't know. All I can say is all these people are eating crap and they don't smoke nor drink as much as I do and they are all sick. 

Did you know that strawberries can help to eliminate tobacco from the lungs. Are you aware there are certain foods that can help to detox the liver and lungs just by eating them regularly. I'm not defending cigarettes nor do I defend the eating of pizza, but I can say it's the quality of cigarettes you smoke (pure tobacco vs. ones laden with amonia, rat poison and other very much toxic ingredients more toxic than tobacco, that's the main culprit. I smoke the ones that are just pure tobacco with no additives even though I'm still aware of the dangers just like I drink plastic bottled water that may have fluoride or pba in it. Eating Ellios brand frozen pizza from the Supermarket with an ingredient list that reads like a drug store is not the same as eating a freshly baked pizza from a bakery. This goes for everything else we consume. It's quality vs quantity.

I'm not just blaming their illnesses just on sugar consumption but from all the other factory processed foods they consumed for years and neglecting to detox their bodies on occasion. They rarely ate whole foods. I would never recommend the smoking of any kind of cigarettes to anyone whether pure or not but you are recommending foods that have been altered in a way that the body doesn't recognize and isn't able to process naturally and that can cause inflammation. Saying it doesn't matter and this or that won't do any harm is irresponsible and can leave someone who doesn't know any better to take your advice on face value. 

It is no coincidence that all these people I have mentioned and all the others I've heard about from friends and or family, and even through the media and also from experts in the field, that they all suffer from certain illnesses that are caused by a particular diet. And it is no coincidence that I have been doctor and dentist free for over 20years while still doing my vices but eating a certain way and mostly avoiding certain foods - most of which you are recommending.

I won't bother to respond anymore as this can go on to infinity while you itemize and rebut every statement I make. Still love you, though.

I don't know what you're accusing me of, because for the 10th time I've never recommended a weird diet.
My own diet is very balanced, basically what everyone eats more or less where I am and the people are healthy.

All I said, in case it wasn't clear, was that stressing about the diet is useless and that you had to have a holistic and open view of things, in the long term.
People also underestimate many other factors like psychological state, you can literally die of sadness, in a kind of super nacebo effect.
Brief 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Schizophonia

5 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

I don't know what you're accusing me of, because for the 10th time I've never recommended a weird diet.
My own diet is very balanced, basically what everyone eats more or less where I am and the people are healthy.

All I said, in case it wasn't clear, was that stressing about the diet is useless and that you had to have a holistic and open view of things, in the long term.
People also underestimate many other factors like psychological state, you can literally die of sadness, in a kind of super nacebo effect.
Brief 🤷‍♂️

You do have a point there. The stress can kill you faster than the effects of the food. I need to understand that not everybody is the same (which I know) and what works for some might not work for you or me. (which I also realize also). It's just there are certain aspects of nutrition that applies to most and I look at food as medicine, so my relationship to it is quite different from yours and I need to respect that and get off my high horse and leave that paradigm lock where it belongs.

Chow...(for now). No, I'm done. Next.

Know thyself....

I am one of those rare humans who have low blood sugar, so I suppose sugar is actually something I shouldn’t be avoiding :o

3 hours ago, Yimpa said:

I am one of those rare humans who have low blood sugar, so I suppose sugar is actually something I shouldn’t be avoiding :o

Do you mean you suffer from chronic hypoglycemia ?

42 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Do you mean you suffer from chronic hypoglycemia ?

I believe so. My doctor never gave it a specific diagnosis so it probably isn’t so low that she is concerned about it.

3 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I believe so. My doctor never gave it a specific diagnosis so it probably isn’t so low that she is concerned about it.

Are you slim ? Do you have insulin resistance ? What do you eat ? :ph34r:

Edited by Schizophonia

I had a very strong sugar addiction when I was a teen. I quit cold turkey around 5 years ago. I don't miss it as much.

It helps that I love the taste of coffee, so I don't have to put sugar on it. I swapped soda for sparkling water. I eat salty snacks over candies when I want to eat something "bad".  

6 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Are you slim ? Do you have insulin resistance ? What do you eat ? :ph34r:

I am slim. I am a genetic freak B|

I’m currently eating a veggie sub. My diet is pescatarian.

There are pros and cons, just like with anything. I happen to be allergic to many foods, like shellfish and a ton of raw foods (see: oral allergy syndrome). However, most raw foods I can eat as long as it’s cooked first.

8 minutes ago, Israfil said:

I had a very strong sugar addiction when I was a teen. I quit cold turkey around 5 years ago. I don't miss it as much.

It helps that I love the taste of coffee, so I don't have to put sugar on it. I swapped soda for sparkling water. I eat salty snacks over candies when I want to eat something "bad".  

Nice. I recently quit taking ADHD meds that I’ve taken for 5 years, so coffee may be alternative if I need an alertness boost. I also love the taste of raw coffee.

6 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Nice. I recently quit taking ADHD meds that I’ve taken for 5 years, so coffee may be alternative if I need an alertness boost. I also love the taste of raw coffee.

Here in Brazil, I can buy a month's worth of high-quality ground coffee for 6~10 USD. It's one of the best things of my day.

16 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I am slim. I am a genetic freak B|

Team stick insects, yess :S:ph34r:

When I was really thin, I often had hypoglycemia. Like the need here and there to lie down on my bed and feel “pulled down”.
Now that I weigh 75kg I don't have this problem at all, just like that 

16 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I’m currently eating a veggie sub. My diet is pescatarian.

There are pros and cons, just like with anything. I happen to be allergic to many foods, like shellfish and a ton of raw foods (see: oral allergy syndrome). However, most raw foods I can eat as long as it’s cooked first.

do not make an anti-vegetarian pamphlet do not make an anti-vegetarian pamphlet do not make an anti-vegetarian pamphlet do not make an anti-vegetarian pamphlet do not make an anti-vegetarian pamphlet do not make an anti-vegetarian pamphlet do not make an anti-vegetarian pamphlet...

lotus position*

2 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Now that I weigh 75kg I don't have this problem at all, just like that 

I weight about 57kg (125 lbs) and I’m 5”10 (70 inches / 177.8 cm) . Doctors never say I’m too underweight. Only health concern they have for me is slightly high LDL cholesterol and that’s about it.

Edited by Yimpa
I love numbers!

10 hours ago, Yimpa said:

I weight about 57kg (125 lbs) and I’m 5”10 (70 inches / 177.8 cm) . Doctors never say I’m too underweight. Only health concern they have for me is slightly high LDL cholesterol and that’s about it.

Your healthy weight would perhaps be an extra 10kg.

1 hour ago, Schizophonia said:

Your healthy weight would perhaps be an extra 10kg.

agreed!

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Will update you in a year if my weight changes B|

In my case it was a battle. I tried to quit failed, tried to quit failed again and on and on for some years. Every time I came back stronger though and with less craving. Now finally I don't consume sugar any more and just stick to fruit.

13 hours ago, LoneWonderer said:

In my case it was a battle. I tried to quit failed, tried to quit failed again and on and on for some years. Every time I came back stronger though and with less craving. Now finally I don't consume sugar any more and just stick to fruit.

Most of the time it's less a problem of sugar and more of a mixture of sugar, starch and fat.
Maybe still make cakes, but with whole foods and even raw foods.