FourCrossedWands

Mass shooting in Prague (no motive)

24 posts in this topic

Yesterday, a 24 year old male killed 14 people at the University of Prague, then killed himself. Dozens of others were heavily wounded.

It happened right in the middle of the old town and there was no political or religious motive.

The guy suffered from severe depression and schizophrenia, while legally having 7 military grade weapons in his possession.

Edited by FourCrossedWands

@FourCrossedWands

47 minutes ago, FourCrossedWands said:

Yesterday, a 24 year old male killed 14 people at the University of Prague, then killed himself. Dozens of others were heavily wounded.

It happened right in the middle of the old town and there was no political or religious motive.

The guy suffered from severe depression and schizophrenia, while legally having 7 military grade weapons in his possession.

7 military grade weapons legally, the guy suffers from severe depression and schizophrenia? What were parents thinking letting him have firearms in his condition? I assume he only has a father and no mother, as in that video the Dad is dead. Whether he killed him or the Dad suicided which made the son's mental condition worse, we'll have to wait for a more complete investigation.

We'll have to wait and see when investigations are complete, but if I had to guess it's religiously motivated in stopping Christmas celebrations in Prague, and stopping tourists from coming there as the timing fits.

@FourCrossedWands

10 minutes ago, FourCrossedWands said:

He killed his father as well. Probably wanted to stop him?

Is that official? Have the investigators conclusively determined the son did kill him, or did the father commit suicide, or some other cause?

Also, my heart, understanding and empathy goes out to the victims, but also to mass shooters, they do have it rough sometimes in life. Don't forget to seek a professional out there, a hotline, or go do therapy and psychoanalysis too.

I could have easily ended up like that if I had been less surrounded.

The devil is in the details.

@Schizophonia

10 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Yes, there's definitely other developmental factors of regression, and other negative situations that contribute to the formation of a mass shooter. Never forget they're human too in higher suffering than average people, as most people tend to always think mass shooters are evil and bad, no, they're in deep suffering in comparison, and they haven't resolved that suffering in themselves yet. Very easy to see a general lack of empathy, apathy and robotic distancing from perpetrators.

11 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Schizophonia

Yes, there's definitely other developmental factors of regression, and other negative situations that contribute to the formation of a mass shooter. Never forget they're human too in higher suffering than average people, as most people tend to always think mass shooters are evil and bad, no, they're in deep suffering in comparison, and they haven't resolved that suffering in themselves yet. Very easy to see a general lack of empathy, apathy and robotic distancing from perpetrators.

Chronic stress can create states of psychosis.
That's probably what drove him, like most mass murderers.

The devil is in the details.

Now it's official that not only did he kill his father and 14 college students, but also a random man with an infant 10 days ago.

He was planning to kill about 100 people. Not by a bomb, but one by one.

This was not some kind of normal depression and he didn't tell anybody about his meltal condition.

Edited by FourCrossedWands

@FourCrossedWands

7 minutes ago, FourCrossedWands said:

Now it's official that not only did he kill his father and 14 college students, but also a random man with an infant 10 days ago.

He was planning to kill about 100 people. Not by a bomb, but one by one.

This was not some kind of normal depression and he didn't tell anybody about his meltal condition.

I see.

A few critiques o this thread though, is the assumption of no motif. Apparently there no see, and we're also making up motifs along the way.

Also *mental condition.

Edited by Danioover9000

3 hours ago, FourCrossedWands said:

He killed his father as well. Probably wanted to stop him?

I did also. I killed the old idea I had of him, the one that caused great suffering for over a decade. Now it’s moving towards higher degrees of love and connection. 

2 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Yes, this applies even internally. When we surround ourselves with ideas and thoughts that are inauthentic towards our true selves, that’s like continuously shooting yourself in the foot. And elsewhere. Until you have no body left.

@Yimpa

16 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I did also. I killed the old idea I had of him, the one that caused great suffering for over a decade. Now it’s moving towards higher degrees of love and connection. 

Yes, this applies even internally. When we surround ourselves with ideas and thoughts that are inauthentic towards our true selves, that’s like continuously shooting yourself in the foot. And elsewhere. Until you have no body left.

The new rise of the neo @Nahm?

@Schizophonia

2 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Chronic stress can create states of psychosis.
That's probably what drove him, like most mass murderers.

I agree, based on many developmental factors, and how chronic stress or any chronic negative feelings and states of psychosis change people and regress some.

Some countries have a lot of firearms, some do not. The Czech Republic is one of those countries that do have more firearms:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/21/shock-in-prague-shootings-czech-republic

Still, if someone has 7 military-grade weapons, and assuming they were purchased legally, I would assume that would be flagged for investigation. It's more than you'd need for a bank robbery or significant terrorist act. If it was flagged, and this man has a medical history of depression and psychosis, then that's a failure that can be looked at. Not just from the parents but the state also, which has a responsibility to intercept things like this before they happen.

Again assuming a medical history and legal purchase of the weapons.

@BlueOak

22 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

Some countries have a lot of firearms, some do not. The Czech Republic is one of those countries that do have more firearms:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/21/shock-in-prague-shootings-czech-republic

Still, if someone has 7 military-grade weapons, and assuming they were purchased legally, I would assume that would be flagged for investigation. It's more than you'd need for a bank robbery or significant terrorist act. If it was flagged, and this man has a medical history of depression and psychosis, then that's a failure that can be looked at. Not just from the parents but the state also, which has a responsibility to intercept things like this before they happen.

Again assuming a medical history and legal purchase of the weapons.

True, and I think Prague is one of those countries with strict gun control, so it's a bit surprising a person there can own, legally, 7 military grade weapons. Mind you, military grade. IMO that's a red flag already whether those were legally gained to begin with, unless the father was ex military and took some of those guns or something. That's my guess, and also another guess is this person was suffering from those mental health issues and depression, I don't see such a person can just approach a street dealer of guns and get, again, military grade guns. Something is a bit suspicious.

Edited by Danioover9000

There are no strict rules for gun ownership in the Czech Republic as well as in most other Eastern European countries.

The biggest problem of some post-communist countries is that after the revolution, they wanted to distance themself from the regime as much as possible, so they adopted extreme capitalism with benevolent laws and too much freedom. Now the governments will have to start questioning some of the laws.

Serious reply: 

Influence from US culture through the internet, dropping testosterone rates, toxic chemicals and shitty diets, maybe abuse and drugs = Lack of basic achievements, class clown behavior, cognitive conditions, anti-social behavior = hopelessness, depression, anger + gun = mass shooting

Speaking as a potential mass shooter in my high school years, I can very vividly recall the peak of my depression and anger back then, lucky I didn’t have any guns.  

Europe is better of than most countries because if you’re resourceful enough to obtain a gun in Europe you’re most likely not so depressed and angry to do something about it, if you look are school shooters anywhere in the world especially America you will notice that these teens are complete losers, lazy and unarchiving. Lacking in any basic qualities they can be proud of and that build up their self-worth. You might think that dropping testosterone rates will result in fewer people shooting up schools and malls but It's actually the opposite (counter-intuitive).

And by calling them losers and underachieving, I don't mean it in a derogatory or in any disrespectful way, I mean it literally, from a place of understanding and study and not dumb generalization and guessing.

This is 80% of the puzzle if you wish to understand school shooters.

Joke: 

Edited by MarkKol

@MarkKol
I can relate I spent much of my 20's drinking to forget or depressed when i wasn't. 

Do you have any data related to the lack of testosterone being responsible for school shootings? Intuitively as you say I'd think it'd be the opposite, and the more violent people usually have too much in them. I can see though, going around shooting up a school, isn't the average reaction of a violent guy looking for trouble in a bar. It comes from the same place often, the desire for significance being met in an inverted, destructive or harmful way

Six Human Needs
https://www.tonyrobbins.com/mind-meaning/do-you-need-to-feel-significant/

1. Certainty: assurance you can avoid pain and gain pleasure
2. Uncertainty/Variety: the need for the unknown, change, new stimuli
3. Significance: feeling unique, important, special or needed
4. Connection/Love: a strong feeling of closeness or union with someone or something
5. Growth: an expansion of capacity, capability or understanding
6. Contribution: a sense of service and focus on helping, giving to and supporting others

These are a reasonable way to model human needs, and we each rank these as more or less important in our daily lives, which drive our behavior. It explains why someone can jump out of a plane, while another person feels happier in a steady job earning a wage. It also explains some of the more horrific acts seeking one of these needs to be met.

Also, it could just be the kind of person that sits in their room miserable and alone, is the kind of person that has or generates less testosterone anyway, rather than it being directly related to the violence itself. When you hit the level of considering suicide, which I used to do a lot in my 20's, and still do very rarely, then it opens you up to these type of horrific or otherwise inconceivable actions.

The last two replies are completely irrelevant.

The murderer was seriously mentally ill. He was hearing voices and wanted to rip his ears out.

He wasn't some kind of typical problematic kid with no future ahead. He was having lectures at the university,

42 minutes ago, FourCrossedWands said:

The last two replies are completely irrelevant.

The murderer was seriously mentally ill. He was hearing voices and wanted to rip his ears out.

He wasn't some kind of typical problematic kid with no future ahead. He was having lectures at the university,

Understanding why people do the things they do is not at all irrelevant. If only to help out others in similar situations.

*If he was that mentally ill though that should 100% be flagged in a database, next to the fact he had 7 firearms.

Edited by BlueOak

3 hours ago, BlueOak said:

Understanding why people do the things they do is not at all irrelevant. If only to help out others in similar situations.

The problem is you’ll only be helping from your own relative perspective. A person who never had the thought of wanting to engage in a mass shooting will never be able to fully comprehend what it’s like to actually be a mass shooter. So really, any kind of help will fundamentally be coming from a place of ignorance.