ToaTokuchi

30 Essential Ideas you should know about ADHD, 3A The Five Executive Functions

13 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2023 at 0:52 AM, ToaTokuchi said:

This is going to change my life.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD since I was 4, but I never really had a definition of WHAT the disability actually is.
This resource combined with Dr. K's ADHD guide and I will be a new man. 

Thanks a lot!

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

On 12.3.2024 at 1:53 AM, ZenSwift said:

This is going to change my life.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD since I was 4, but I never really had a definition of WHAT the disability actually is.

Thanks a lot!

I was also diagnosed with ADHD. Has something changed? Have you implemented some strategies?

@Jannes there's a difference between being diagnosed and knowing how your brain works. 

On 3/11/2024 at 7:53 PM, ZenSwift said:

Thanks a lot!

Hey, I just started that guide a few days ago!

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Jannes said:

I was also diagnosed with ADHD. Has something changed? Have you implemented some strategies?

Accepting it and not trying to get rid of your ADHD. That’s like being in denial of having a different set of eyeballs and trying to see the world with typical eyes.  Let’s see the world in a unique way and optimize our environment to work with us, not against us.

Edited by Yimpa

2 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Accepting it and not trying to get rid of your ADHD. That’s like being in denial of having a different set of eyeballs and trying to see the world with typical eyes.  Let’s see the world in a unique way and optimize our environment to work with us, not against us.

And how have you optimized your environment? What do you work as? What's your LP?

2 hours ago, ZenSwift said:

@Jannes there's a difference between being diagnosed and knowing how your brain works. 

Yes, what do you want to say with that?

@Jannes

I was diagnosed with ADHD my entire life but I never knew really what that actually meant.

So I never really designed my life in a way to actually work with it.

17 hours ago, ZenSwift said:

@Jannes

I was diagnosed with ADHD my entire life but I never knew really what that actually meant.

So I never really designed my life in a way to actually work with it.

I was diagnosed in life 4th grade.

How have you redesigned your life that it better fits to your adhd lens?

@Jannes @Jannes

Put yourself in an environment where you have to act. Where there is an immediate consequence. Now it may be different for you but for me my level of conscientiousness and being able to be a self-starter is very low. It sucks because I would really like to be extremely driven and conscientious but I gotta lean into the truth of the situation.

Another thing that I need is some sort of routine enforced upon on to me from an external source. Very helpful. 

@ZenSwift Very compact and valueable wisdom, thank you!

I can relate very much to your experiences. For me studying or any kind of preparation is very hard and without some events I am often very lazy. I was happy in a kind of way when I worked at a store. I hated the job but I always got it done and it pulled me out of slack into action. I am thinking very hard about integrating external motivations/ routines in my life like studying with friends but because I struggle with social life that's hard to do.

What I can share which helped me with ADHD a lot was lowering digital stimulants. I dont use social media at all, I block YouTube completely (I can unblock it if needed so I still go and download some videos to not fall for the algorithm sometimes) and even block all music. That might sound harsh but the thing is that when you are sensitive to distraction a little bit can cause a lot of problems. Just listening to a bit of music on the side can cause me to be half as productive. When I was in the gym listening to my own music the workouts literally took twice as long. 

@Jannes yes, fuck all sources of unearned dopamine.