BojackHorseman

Why did humans invent the concept of gods?

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TwistedOntic said:

Because God exists. 

As much as it might be true and there would be no other way to just say it like this, since we don't know nothing, I feel like it's a lazy answer (not targeting you, hope you understand it's just my opinion, akin to religious people saying their god exist and such law is like that because it's like that.

But anyways, I don't feel like answering each post individually cause I don't have much to add, but those are beautiful and interesting answer, things make more sense to me now.
But overall I'll just say if humans created gods cause they need to blame the bad or feel like they're being protected, that again shows how weak we are.

I mean man religions can or could be beautiful, but the way they're used is absolutely disgusting.

One reason I could get more behind is the search of meaning and connection to something.
From a certain standpoint, needing meaning is also quite useless. But this one I do feel stronger. And finding meaning in the esoteric, even if there's no god in the end, can also act as a reflector in our personal lives and help us find ourselves (which is pretty much what most of occult modern teachers/practitionners that seem to actually think, are saying nowadays. That they don't actually reaaally  believe in occult stuff, but that it's a prism to be used for evolution...and a fun pastime)

It seems related to tribalism. Believing in X religion gives you an identity and community. Religions are treated more like sports teams than real beliefs, by the adherents.

On 12/11/2023 at 8:14 AM, Phil King said:

Why did God invent the concept of humans?

I'm glad someone said it.

The word 'human' was only invented in the 13th century, and 'human being' in the 15th.  So many narratives opine about how we should never "lose our humanity" as if it's the most precious thing in the Universe when these words are functionally brand new.  

They gave us the word 'human' to replace that of the tribe they murdered and took us away from.

In any case - God 'invented' the concept because we are building the walls of Asgard and had to forget who we were so we could be the Unlucky Traveler and work.  Walls are almost done so now it's time to chase a filly named Loki and make a Sleipinir.

Look at Jungs work he explained this. 

I think he said a God is somehow an archetype of your mind. Because you have many archetypes there are many Gods. For example the archetype of evil (devil as God) 

On 12/11/2023 at 8:14 AM, Phil King said:

Why did God invent the concept of humans?

God said to himself, "I wonder what it's like to be retarded."

And became a human.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:45 PM, BojackHorseman said:

Why did humans create gods?

The most rational answer to is something like, the search for a meaning in life (otherwise why else justify your life and actions).

The other one would be explaining things they couldn't at the time.

But then, why imagine "gods"? This is such a weird concept when you look at it from a blank start, not knowing the concepts like we do. Gods don't exist (supposedly) so they imagined something that don't exist? "there's this spirit, it looks like this and have these powers, etc..."
Would that mean that imagination and creativity is part of humans from the start?
But even then, why blend it with reality as if it actually existed?

I'm not looking for reasons to believe in gods or discredit those who do by the way.
I'm just trying to understand how such a concept started (and maybe, further on, became so popular like yeah ok this is our lives now) on from a rational standpoint.

Why did you create a ground for anything?  Your washer and dryer is made of atoms.  Stern stuff. It exists objectively.  Correct?  But whose conscious of such washer and dryer when you're not there to be conscious of it?  Does it just exist outside of your consciousness?  Think of how absurd that is.  Why would reality go out of its way like that? For who?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

On 15/12/2023 at 0:31 AM, OldManCorcoran said:

It seems related to tribalism. Believing in X religion gives you an identity and community. Religions are treated more like sports teams than real beliefs, by the adherents.

Basically everything is treated like sports team, even the phone brand nowadays.
But I mean, they went all the way to inventing things that don't exist?

Oh wait

Something clicked while writing this

We also did invent sports, and they don't really mean anything or serve any essential purpose (well, maybe the "play" purpose that all humans need).

Humans gotta invent and be creative, I guess.

It's just about what need the creation serves
And as it was previously said in the thread iirc, gods and religions might just be a way to fill the void we face at times, the fear of the unknown.

Don't mind me, just thinking out loud, probably doesn't make much sense, brain is very tired and confused these days