MrTelepath

Was Aldous Huxley Awake?

7 posts in this topic

I don’t hear many mentioning the works and life of English Writer Aldous Huxley. His work has been influential and well known to many. I believe Terence McKenna spoke highly of his thoughts and ideas. One of the first books I read in my Spiritual Journey was “The Doors Of Perception” where Huxley details his experience with Mescaline.

I’ve come across some quotes by Huxley and they seem rather remarkable. 

Quotes

“The spiritual journey does not consist of arriving at a new destination where a person gains what he did not have, or becomes what he is not. It consists in the dissipation of one's own ignorance concerning oneself and life, and the gradual growth of that understanding which begins the spiritual awakening. The finding of God is a coming to oneself.” 

“The truth is paradoxical; but man’s passion for rational coherence is even stronger than his love of truth.”

“The man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less sure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable mystery which he tries, forever vainly, to comprehend.” 

I haven’t read any of his other books aside from “The Doors Of Perception.” I’ll say that his philosophy of life and ideas revolving around spirituality seem pretty advanced. Though, I can’t tell whether or not he was awake and I wanted to hear what others think.

Share any thoughts regarding the matter. Thanks!

"The awakening of consciousness is the next evolutionary step for mankind." - Eckhart Tolle

"Consciousness itself is an infinite regress. This explains coincidences." - Robert Anton Wilson

"There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley

Let’s be honest: anyone can be Awake if you believe it hard enough.

Donald Trump’s hardcore followers are 100% convinced that he is Awake.

@Yimpa I highly doubt Trump is awake, lol.

"The awakening of consciousness is the next evolutionary step for mankind." - Eckhart Tolle

"Consciousness itself is an infinite regress. This explains coincidences." - Robert Anton Wilson

"There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley

6 hours ago, Shrooms_Alvarez said:

One of the first books I read in my Spiritual Journey was “The Doors Of Perception”

He took the title from a poem of William Blake, in 1790.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern" 

You guys are way too preoccupied with how "awake" others are(n't). It's nothing more than a silly ego game.

The only awakening that counts is YOURS. What others say or do only matters as far as it can make you realize truth for yourself.

(And yes, The Doors Of Perception is a masterpiece and one of my top five books of all time.)

Analyze what he says, compare it to your direct experience and you will have your answer.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.