Agrande

Can meditation trigger psychosis or schizophrenia?

25 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Very interesting
It is very possible from what I know, you can search reddit or this forum for stories of meditation induced psychosis, might find something that helps

Though, I would say you are doing great progress

How long have you been meditating? what method? 
And how long are your sits?

I haven't been meditating for long, just started a few months ago I'd say. I use a strange method of just consciously releasing tension in my body while focusing on my whole field of vision, not moving my eyes at all and rarely blinking. This helps me get into the ISNESS of the present moments because it just stops all my inner thoughts that distract me from that. While I do this, I automatically start breathing deep from my belly and that also helps me enter into deep meditative states.

If I don't use that method, I just focus on the gaps between my breaths while consciously releasing bodily tension which makes me breathe deeply. I do this with eyes open too because my meditations are deeper when I do it like that. Especially when I penetrate into the ISNESS of everything, colours look more vivid and dream like as does everything else I look for example, nature.

You'll notice that a busy mind has lots of sporadic eye movements

4 hours ago, Agrande said:

I'm a bit worried that this can be early signs of something major (psychosis and schizophrenia)

but if it happens, it is what it is?

I'll be open and accept it :)

Visual distortions are normal from meditation.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

14 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Visual distortions are normal from meditation.

Seems like i've been worrying about nothing then lol

Thanks for clearing this up

There is a difference between derealization/depersonalization and psychosis. Derealization is a severe neurosis not psychosis.

No, you're not going to go psychotic from meditation.  There is normal reality processing with severe neurosis.