Leo Gura

New War In Israel / Gaza

7,487 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Owen Jones nails it as he ploughs through the 84 page South African application to the ICJ.

Edited by kenway

6 minutes ago, Raze said:

What’s she saying? 😀

14 hours ago, kenway said:

This was an excellent stream from start to finish. Well worth a listen.

It starts with an amusing exchange between Jamal Mohamad and Rabbi Shmuley on an ice rink, then Finkelstein talks about the resignation of Claudine Gay on a more serious interpretation of the same message, then a discussion on Dershowitz and a brief synopsis of the ICJ judges and which way the genocide case might go.

00:00 Intro 02:43 Jamal's encounter with Rabbi Shmuley 11:17 What does 'Free Palestine' mean to Jamal? 13:49 Jamal's experience in Palestine 22:56 Jamal's work with The Arab Student Association 24:22 Seeing through Israeli propaganda 29:27 Congresswoman Elise Stefanik calls for RESIGNATION of Claudine Gay, President of Harvard 43:20 Who should decide who gets to teach? 49:50 Is there a precedent for the firing of Academics who criticize Israel? 54:05 Alan Dershowitz claims there's a double standard when it comes to Black intellectuals and Antisemitism 1:13:23 Norm's debate with Dershowitz 1:14:46 Netanyahu wants Alan Derhsowitz to represent Israel in it's genocide case 1:17:45 Why South Africa is invoking the genocide convention.

Loved Jamal, so nice. Norman Finkelstein his slow voice just annoys me too much to watch for long. 😀 loved the host though.

@zazen

2 hours ago, zazen said:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/france-germany-slam-far-right-ministers-calls-for-voluntary-emigration-of-gazans/amp/

French FM: “We condemn the statements of Israeli Ministers Smotrich and Ben Gvir, which call for the emigration of Gaza residents. The Israeli government does not have the right to decide where the Palestinians should live on their land.”

German FM: “We reject in the strongest terms the unhelpful statements of Israeli government ministers regarding the displacement of the population of Gaza. The Palestinians should not be expelled from Gaza, nor should the area of the Strip be reduced.”

@Danioover9000 Interesting clip to analyse the body language for. Regarding the Beirut assassination .

My first impressions of that clip: 🤣🤣🤣

To be fair, I've remembered seeing him in past videos, and there are moments when he's speaking English tiny bits of stuttering or tongue twists, so clearly English is not a fluent language for him. Now I initially find it hard to believe, based on his appearance, and presentation, and possibly him valuing high status positions and valuing politics that he'd advance this far with a stuttering problem, so I think it's likely IMO this stuttering isn't natural or isn't part of his speech impediment, more likely due to feeling distressed and verbally self censoring saying 'Israel' to her very loaded questioning regarding the Beirut assassination. To be fair, he did slip up at 0:30 saying 'Israel is a war', despite her questioning, and somehow found himself stuttering. Stuttering itself isn't a sign of deception, but a sign of the mind trying to internalize linguistically how to answer and verbally continue the answer without jeopardizing one's career or reputation, considering this question is about the Beirut assassination, therefore one really wrong answer from him likely will have reputational costs to him, at least that's my feeling. Also, the start of him answering her question, his tonality inflexes, on the word 'obvious', feels like an emphasis trying to say how 'obviously' this is someone's fault other than 'Israel'. Several factors could have triggered this stuttering, even a 'brain fart' moment is a legitimate factor because in some interview footages this did happen, and I remember seeing the author interviewed stuttered, blink rate increased and she's just searching for the right answer, even though the question was simple and isn't attacking her book but she somehow lost her train of thought and came off too defensive, and due to her feeling shame and embarrassment and a long pause, further worsened her brain fog moment and it became one viral moment in the internet.

To be fair to him, despite my knowledge and some experience body language analysis and communications, in that position I'd probably fumble and screw up in a few ways IF I haven't prepared myself for that line of questioning, but IMO she wasn't really attacking him in that question, but I do feel like after he uttered 'Israel is at war' he became self conscious that he's going down a VERY DANGEROUS topic line, such that he non-verbally felt he had to self censor which brought up this stuttering, which always ends up being clipped.

@Raze

1 hour ago, Raze said:

I firstly don't speak their language, I think it's Hebrew and not Arabic, correct me if wrong, so my read into her body language and tonality is at least a third reduced in accuracy, can't do statement analysis or word choices here, but I can at least do body language, verbal, and discourse analysis on here.

My impressions, overall she's very emotional and distressed, her tonality displays urgency and desperation, plenty of facial cues such as eyebrow flashes(feeling surprised, emphasis or social approval/connection), plenty of illustrations with her hands and looking around the podium to her audience I assume. Also, given she has Israel flag to her right she's a representative of Israel, therefore speaking for Israel. I detect moments when she verbally says 'Palestine' or 'Palestinians', and when she says 'Biden' she spikes in activity, over emphasizing.

I can only assume it's similar to Adolf Hitler: passionately speaking against a common enemy, although I don't hear mention of 'HAMAs', or 'Hezbollah', or 'terrorists', but 'Palestine' or something similar is used instead, which means she's speaking emotionally against Palestine or the PLO, emotionally appealing to Israeli against PLO/Palestine more so than HAMAs per say. I don't know, and could be wrong. If someone can translate that's great, but I think it's important to note a lack of mentioning 'HAMAs' but mentioning 'Palestine/Palestinians', so maybe she could be emotionally appealing to stop the war on Gaza, unlikely possibility at this point, but it's possible, but why I think it isn't is because she mentioned 'Biden' and her body language in that moment was more antagonistic, my feeling here, as if she's complaining and throwing a tantrum that 'Biden' has ordered Israel, lately, to try and limit it's war and attacks on Gaza.

1 hour ago, Merkabah Star said:

What’s she saying? 😀

She’s a Knesset member

"Without hunger and thirst among the Gazan population, we will not be able to recruit collaborators, we will not be able to recruit intelligence, we will not be able to bribe people, with food, drink, medicine, in order to obtain intelligence, and we know that finding the abductees is a supreme and super important goal alongside the goals of fighting." -

Posted (edited)

This is such a damning video. Context: South Africa has released a 84 page essay detailing how Israel is performing genocide to Gaza, and asks for the UN tribunal to keep Israel in check and to make Israel accountable for it's military handling. Here's this spokes person for Israel:

My first impressions on that Israeli speaker: deceptive body language, and manipulative verbals. Firstly, claiming that South Africa is playing 'advocate for the devil', 'criminally complicit', 'oct 7 MASSACRE'', 'HAMAs RAPIST regime(good thought terminating cliche here. What's next, another 44 baby heads decapitated?)', 'crimes against humanity', 'adding and abetting THAT machinery of genocide(HAMAs are terminators now...)'. Also after delivering loaded mind slaying statements, at 1:04 he dry swallows, BTW in body language dry swallowing indicates high stress typically, for me strange time to dry swallow here, after statements that slanders against South Africa's 84 page essay to a UN tribunal. Right after that, eyebrow flashes at the word 'STATE' of Israel, and at 1:10 he does a chin jut and head shake to his left, micro aggressive head movement towards South Africa. Quickly after that, he does an exaggerated eyebrow flash and tensed facial expression here of disappointment saying 'how tragic'.

I'm sorry, so very biased and preferential speaker, obviously very objective and not funded by Israel to speak utter GARBAGE, coercing, and not so subtly threatening to sue South Africa for 'blood libel' or whatever the hell you on about, but I can clearly see deception here snake, go back to the hellhole you came from. We've had enough of misinformation and propaganda campaigns from your end of the aisle. Disappointed that this speaker is so amateur that he doesn't even make the effort to hide his deceit. Obviously HAMAs should be dealt with, but I can't help when I spot manipulation tactics done by such a greenhorn, so sloppy  it's gross.

Now, you've got to ask yourself, in the bigger picture of politics, if this is determined t be true, and South Africa wins this case and the international court from UN will enforce their measures against Israel and even against Biden and his administration, was this worth the risk of Biden not being more stern against Israel's military handling? Was it worth a risk, assuming if these are true and both Israel and Biden lose the legal court battle, and are tried for war crimes and Biden for enabling this genocide to happen, was it worth it to obfuscate and instead not being active in keeping Israel in check? 

Edited by Danioover9000

8 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Ramanujan

Europeans killing 90% of native Americans via virus is no fault of their own, as the historical context shows their understanding of disease spreads and viruses were limited compared to modern times. If you want to blame them with this specific point, then for moral consistency also blame the Mongolian empire for spreading the black plague via the silk road westwards, although key difference between Mongolia and European settlers is that Mongolia somewhat intended to spread the black death there, whereas the European settlers, the GB, Italians, Spanish, French, German settlers, wanted to go to new lands to settle away from their own native lands that they struggled with far more.

Yes genghis khan is evil

One of  two most evil empires ever

So is european colonialists

@Ramanujan

Because Trans Atlantic slave trade was universal and an industry business at that time, and beforehand human slavery was also practiced by the Asian culture, the Arabians in the middle east, the Greeks/Romans and ancient world, and EVEN THE AFRICAN CULTURES. In fact when Europeans eventually were involved in the trans Atlantic slave trade, the reason why it took off quickly was because the kingdoms and monarchs in Africa were already enslaving other losing African tribes and selling them to Arabians and to Europeans. Also, I will keep on emphasizing this, GB WAS THE ONLY COUNTRY AT THIS TIME TO HAVE ANTI SLAVERY POLICIES. GB was the only country to be warring against the slave trade in Africa and other parts of the world, and imposed heavy economic sanctions against countries that practice the slave trade, and even fought sea battles against pirates that are involved in the human slave trade.

The slaves in asia had rights . the slave owners gave many rights to slaves in Asia and africa. Trans atlantic slavery is another levels of cruelty . one of The most evil, barbaric acts to ever exist

@Ramanujan

That's for historical context, now we look at the present which is different from that historical context as I have stated covers other cultures, again like how the Spanish settlers dealt with the Aztec empire's human sacrifice rituals and cannibalism of other smaller tribes in that region that's a different context showing some good from European colonialism. Now back to present, you can say that Israel now is part a settler colonialism and expanding onto Palestinian lands, but the more greater part is that Israel is being lead by Zionists with an alt right ideology and nationalism/patriotism that wants more land and for Israel to expand more.

Yes settler colonialism

Goal is to Kill palastenians and take their land

2 hours ago, Raze said:

It's probably worth mentioning that this is from 9 years ago.

(I didn't realise at first!)

This is just pure evil. 

Posted (edited)

We are watching Israel exterminate the Palestinian people in real-time.

As of this morning, the number of dead Palestinian children now exceeds 9000.

Total civilian deaths now at 30,000 and rising every hour.

I notice that the pro Israelis in this thread have become strangely silent and I suspect they will eventually slide out of this thread altogether.

If you ever wanted to know how the broader public were able to be indifferent to the Nazis exterminating the Jews in real-time - how such evil could take place mostly unopposed - well now you know.

Edited by kenway

57 minutes ago, kenway said:

I notice that the pro Israelis in this thread have become strangely silent and I suspect they will eventually slide out of this thread altogether.

If you ever wanted to know how the broader public were able to be indifferent to the Nazis exterminating the Jews in real-time - how such evil could take place mostly unopposed - well now you know.

That’s a good point and so true.

47 minutes ago, Merkabah Star said:

Young Turks take on it. 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-in-talks-with-congo-and-other-countries-on-gaza-voluntary-migration-plan/ 

"Israel in talks with Congo and other countries on Gaza ‘voluntary migration’ plan"

Yeah it seems they are seriously thinking of sending Palestinians to Congo, it's the first country that seems willing to take them in.

Honestly, nothing comes out of most Israeli officials surprises me anymore, the only surprising thing is the people who didn't see that coming from day 1. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, kenway said:

Could be the voices of their own allies getting louder in condemnation and the genocide case next week that South Africa has filed which is a stain on their reputation. Also the ample proof of self incriminating intent on display by Israeli leadership who speak candidly/arrogantly and the tik tok army who make a mockery of the devastation this war is causing - self owning themselves via a Chinese app in a Middle Eastern conflict facilitated by US arm shipments - ahh globalisation.

October 7th obviously rattled Israel's psychological god complex and sense of superiority including their tech/spyware/arms industry which relies on a certain level of confidence. ''The Palestinians are human laboratory rats to the Israeli military, intelligence services and arms and technology industries. Israel’s drones, surveillance technology — including spyware, facial recognition software and biometric gathering infrastructure — along with smart fences, experimental bombs and AI-controlled machine guns, are tried out on the captive population in Gaza, often with lethal results. These weapons and technologies are then certified as “battle tested” and sold around the world.'' - Chris Hedges

The reason this conflict and this thread has been popular is because of what's at stake and partial familiarity to the situation. The region its in, the players involved, the religious-colonial-racist undertones familiar to large parts of the world which are now relics of the past, and what the second order effects and ripples of this region destabilising have on a global level. If things escalate - we could be looking at global inflation through energy prices sky rocketing via oil fields being targeted and sea transit lane disruptions causing supply chain shocks - not to mention the high death toll - all this underpins the global economy which is already limping from covid with increasing inequality and all during a election year of Israels main imperial backer the US.

Edited by zazen

11 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

This is such a damning video. Context: South Africa has released a 84 page essay detailing how Israel is performing genocide to Gaza, and asks for the UN tribunal to keep Israel in check and to make Israel accountable for it's military handling. Here's this spokes person for Israel:

My first impressions on that Israeli speaker: deceptive body language, and manipulative verbals. Firstly, claiming that South Africa is playing 'advocate for the devil', 'criminally complicit', 'oct 7 MASSACRE'', 'HAMAs RAPIST regime(good thought terminating cliche here. What's next, another 44 baby heads decapitated?)', 'crimes against humanity', 'adding and abetting THAT machinery of genocide(HAMAs are terminators now...)'. Also after delivering loaded mind slaying statements, at 1:04 he dry swallows, BTW in body language dry swallowing indicates high stress typically, for me strange time to dry swallow here, after statements that slanders against South Africa's 84 page essay to a UN tribunal. Right after that, eyebrow flashes at the word 'STATE' of Israel, and at 1:10 he does a chin jut and head shake to his left, micro aggressive head movement towards South Africa. Quickly after that, he does an exaggerated eyebrow flash and tensed facial expression here of disappointment saying 'how tragic'.

I'm sorry, so very biased and preferential speaker, obviously very objective and not funded by Israel to speak utter GARBAGE, coercing, and not so subtly threatening to sue South Africa for 'blood libel' or whatever the hell you on about, but I can clearly see deception here snake, go back to the hellhole you came from. We've had enough of misinformation and propaganda campaigns from your end of the aisle. Disappointed that this speaker is so amateur that he doesn't even make the effort to hide his deceit. Obviously HAMAs should be dealt with, but I can't help when I spot manipulation tactics done by such a greenhorn, so sloppy  it's gross.

Now, you've got to ask yourself, in the bigger picture of politics, if this is determined t be true, and South Africa wins this case and the international court from UN will enforce their measures against Israel and even against Biden and his administration, was this worth the risk of Biden not being more stern against Israel's military handling? Was it worth a risk, assuming if these are true and both Israel and Biden lose the legal court battle, and are tried for war crimes and Biden for enabling this genocide to happen, was it worth it to obfuscate and instead not being active in keeping Israel in check? 

I do feel like this is worth watching.

@kenway

3 hours ago, kenway said:

I agree, this is a real time test of people's integrity, and real time test on how deeply they lie and distort reality from Israel's actions towards Gazans. It's pure devilry all of this is.