Princess Arabia

Healthy Foods/Recipes/Products Mega-thread

347 posts in this topic

Just now, LSD-Rumi said:

This is from the web, but I prepare it all the time. I buy canned precooked fava beans, put them in the microwave for 2 min, and then mash them, It is a very popular dish in the Middle East along with Falafel and Hummus.

Ok nice. I've made hummus. It's delish, but never Falafel even though I've had it.

Know thyself....

35 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

I understand you're not making fun of me and I'm not justifying, defending or saying anything other than don't be so quick to debunk anything you have not studied yourself. Your debunking arguments aren't even making any sense because an egg is not just an egg. It depends on the kind of egg and how the chickens were farmed.

Not really, I have seen on several occasions that the source of the eggs does not really have an influence on their nutritional quality.
So a posteriori it is more about “ethics”.

Medical Medium is not a scammer who only sells detox juices. If you were familiar with his background you would know how many people he has helped to get off their medications

Even a fruit diet will be better than SAD to a certain point.
The more micronutrients and polyphenols you add to your diet, the more you will limit the metabolic problems created by certain modern foods.
But just because a diet improves your metabolic situation does not mean that it is, in absolute terms, optimal and sustainable.

You will find people who have cured illnesses that are sometimes “incurable” with any diet, sometimes even with practices that have nothing to do with it (breathing work).

Even Vonderplanitz has also helped a lot of people, in fact he is extremely empirical and admitted that his job is basically to try to do anything and everything until he finds a system that works.
The guy ate rotten meat lol.

and who have cured their diseases using his methods. You say same goes for milk. What kind of milk. Has the milk been pasteurized and lost its quality. Is it from diseased cows or whatever animal.

yes

Cow's milk is cows puss that was intended for their young. 

This is a sophism (hume's guillotine).
It's not "for calves", it's just "a caloric liquid produced by post-pregnancy cows generated by natural selection, that calves like/want to drink"

There is nothing intended or not intended for men, it is a theological vision of things and it is all the more curious and dishonest that this "argument" is used by atheists, or people who follow a religion which does not condemn the consumption of milk, or even promotes it.

There is only what works and what does not work, and the fact is that the majority of people, particularly in Eurasian countries, will prefer and do better with milk or derived products (kefir, cheese, etc.) than any other source of vegetable protein, and sometimes even meat.

Have you ever researched how conventional eggs are produced or harvested and the sterilization process, I have, and it's not pretty.

It's not my fault that North America is a food shithole.
Where I am I have organic and/or free-range eggs for not very expensive, in any village of 500 inhabitants.

You're laughing at everything, but, coming from someone who has claimed coco cola is the healthiest drink on the planet, i wouldn't take your health advice too seriously.

I didn't say that, I said that Coca Cola was basically "just sugar, caffeine and CO2" that it's probably preferable to a lot of "holy" foods that will actually cause me problems.

Edited by Schizophonia

The devil is in the details.

I usually make my own Salad Dressings, but sometimes I buy this one when I don't feel like making my own. It's the only one I've seen so far that is worth buying without sacrificing taste or loaded with toxic ingredients. It comes in different flavors. The Xantham Gum is ok if it's Non-GMO but, it's still a reasonably non toxic food additive.

20230912_111028.jpg

20230912_111058.jpg

Know thyself....

22 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

??

You confirmed what I said.

I said that no one wants to eat a legume unless they cheat massively, and you responded by telling me how I could make a good legume dish with oil, tahini, and seasonings.

Maybe you didn't understand where I was going with this, idk.

One day I will make a YouTube channel of primal recipes and I will share on actualzed :)

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

Not really, I have seen on several occasions that the source of the eggs does not really have an influence on their nutritional quality.
So a posteriori it is more about “ethics”.

Even a fruit diet will be better than SAD to a certain point.
The more micronutrients and polyphenols you add to your diet, the more you will limit the metabolic problems created by certain modern foods.
But just because a diet improves your metabolic situation does not mean that it is, in absolute terms, optimal and sustainable.

You will find people who have cured illnesses that are sometimes “incurable” with any diet, sometimes even with practices that have nothing to do with it (breathing work).

Even Vonderplanitz has also helped a lot of people, in fact he is extremely empirical and admitted that his job is basically to try to do anything and everything until he finds a system that works.
The guy ate rotten meat lol.

yes

This is a sophism (hume's guillotine).
It's not "for calves", it's just "a caloric liquid produced by post-pregnancy cows generated by natural selection, that calves like/want to drink"

There is nothing intended or not intended for men, it is a theological vision of things and it is all the more curious and dishonest that this "argument" is used by atheists, or people who follow a religion which does not condemn the consumption of milk, or even promotes it”.

There is only what works and what does not work, and the fact is that the majority of people, particularly in Eurasian countries, will prefer and do better with milk or derived products (kefir, cheese, etc.) than any other source of vegetable protein, and sometimes even meat.

It's not my fault that North America is a food shithole.
Where I am I have organic and/or free-range eggs for not very expensive, in any village of 500 inhabitants.

I didn't say that, I said that Coca Cola was basically "just sugar, caffeine and CO2" that it's probably preferable to a lot of "holy" foods that will actually cause me problems.

Ok...I refuse to get into too much food or health debates for too long as I've transcended the paradigm of trying to debunk claims, defend or not defend or trying to persuade people into making different choices that I see fit for them. 

We make our own choices; and I, myself, do make poor choices from time to time that I'm aware of. The difference, for me, is that I'm aware that they are poorer choices and not fooled into thinking it's a healthy choice. I try to do the 80/20 bit where 80 leads the way for better health even though I may err in some of my choices as I'm not a health nut.

Know thyself....

Try making mashed potatoes using these ingredients instead for a healthy twist. Radishes and turnips.

Peel the turnips but not the radishes and boil in salted water and mash using unsalted Irish butter (kerrygold) and/or milk of choice. Garnish with Rosemary. Can also add white potatoes for a creamier consistency.

20220329_153526.jpg

20220329_142918.jpg

Know thyself....

7 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Try making mashed potatoes using these ingredients instead for a healthy twist. Radishes and turnips.

Peel the turnips but not the radishes and boil in salted water and mash using unsalted Irish butter (kerrygold) and/or milk of choice. Garnish with Rosemary. Can also add white potatoes for a creamier consistency.

20220329_153526.jpg

20220329_142918.jpg

Hell yeah! What do you do with the turnip and radish? Put it in a food processor? They are pretty damn hard aren't they( even after boiling)?

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

Hell yeah! What do you do with the turnip and radish? Put it in a food processor? They are pretty damn hard aren't they( even after boiling)?

No they soften as they boil. Just treat them as you would regular potatoes and test for doneness, maybe about 15-20mins.

Know thyself....

Coconut water, apparently. Also eggs -- incredibly nutrtious, and potatoes. Presumably, some individuals on certain cultures survived for many years on a potato-only diet. I might have read this on The 150 Healthiest Foods or on a video by Michael Greger.

Edited by UnbornTao

1 hour ago, Osaid said:

Popcorn is surprisingly nutritious. It's a whole grain, but lacks gluten. It's also one of the best sources of fiber.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/popcorn-nutrition-and-health

I think it's good as long as it's not the microwavable kind. I was concerned about GMO; but according to google, it's a distinct kind of corn that is used for popcorn and has not been genetically modified if bought in the USA. Regular corn is the #1 GMO food grown, most corn anyway. Can use coconut oil instead of butter to pop and spread over after popping. I use to sprinkle mine with melted coconut oil, turmeric powder, paprika and a dash of cayenne. Haven't had it for a while.

Know thyself....

23 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

I said that no one wants to eat a legume unless they cheat massively, and you responded by telling me how I could make a good legume dish with oil, tahini, and seasonings.

This is true, I tried to make lentils countless times with water instead of oil, included curry powder, black pepper, salt, coriander and still failed to make it taste nice enough to the point I would eat it all.

I'm set on cooking with avocado oil and spices as It's simply unrealistic not to. But I wouldn't ignore lentils and legumes as they're quite helpful.

My diet basically begins with 1 daily breakfast I have every day.

Breakfast: 50g Chia seeds, 300ml of any nut milk, 30g macadamia nuts, 20g walnuts, 10g pecan nuts and 1 brazil nut as well as a banana, ground flaxseeds, cinnamon and blueberries. refrigerate for 1-3 hours and done. Wouldn't recommend blending anything or adding protein powder as it tastes worse and chewing the nuts is better. I'll post how It looks like tomorrow If I remember.

Lunch: legumes and whole-grains, vegetables and 150g of any meat like lean beef or chicken & fish.

Dinner: 200-500g of egg whites w/o any saturated fat or cholesterol cuz I'm trying to gain weight/muscle, It's about 5-15 eggs a day (again, without the yolk)

1 apple, and done. About 2300-2500 calories.

I made this example of Lunch a couple of days ago (Don't mind the obnoxious music It was for a friend group)

https://imgur.com/a/4Xn1ST4

Edited by MarkKol

56 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

This is true, I tried to make lentils countless times with water instead of oil, included curry powder, black pepper, salt, coriander and still failed to make it taste nice enough to the point I would eat it all.

I'm set on cooking with avocado oil and spices as It's simply unrealistic not to. But I wouldn't ignore lentils and legumes as they're quite helpful.

Breakfast: 50g Chia seeds, 300ml of any nut milk, 30g macadamia nuts, 20g walnuts, 10g pecan nuts and 1 brazil nut as well as a banana, ground flaxseeds, cinnamon and blueberries. refrigerate for 1-3 hours and done. Wouldn't recommend blending anything or adding protein powder as it tastes worse and chewing the nuts is better. I'll post how It looks like tomorrow If I remember.

Lunch: legumes and whole-grains, vegetables and 150g of any meat like lean beef or chicken & fish.

Dinner: 200-500g of egg whites w/o any saturated fat or cholesterol cuz I'm trying to gain weight/muscle, It's about 5-15 eggs a day (again, without the yolk)

I made this example of Lunch a couple of days ago (Don't mind the obnoxious music It was for a friend group)

At the moment I eat a bit like him lol:

May seem far-fetched, but that's basically what Ray Peat advises, or to a lesser extent guys like Danny Roddy, Matt Stone, Christ Masterjohn...

Typical day :

breakfast -> 2 big butter croissants, with strong coffee or dark hot chocolate.

Lunch -> Potatoes fried in duck fat, beef heart or chicken fillet, with bell pepper or cucumber, Red Bull, Coca Cola or Fruit Juice on dessert.

Snack -> A pineapple, a few bananas...

Dinner -> Blend : Half a liter of raw goat's milk, 6 raw egg yolks, two tablespoons of raw honey, iodized salt.

Digestion, cognition and mood are much, much better than when I was almost vegan, although Mirtazapine gives me some chronic discomfort (nausea, headaches) unfortunately.

Capture d’écran 2023-10-07 à 19.05.35.png

Capture d’écran 2023-10-07 à 19.05.54.png

Edited by Schizophonia

10 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

May seem far-fetched, but that's basically what Ray Peat advises, or to a lesser extent guys like Danny Roddy, Matt Stone, Christ Masterjohn...

Typical day :

breakfast -> 2 big butter croissants, with strong coffee or dark hot chocolate.

Lunch -> Potatoes fried in duck fat, beef heart or chicken fillet, with bell pepper or cucumber, Red Bull, Coca Cola or Fruit Juice on dessert.

Snack -> A pineapple, a few bananas...

Dinner -> Blend : Half a liter of raw goat's milk, 6 raw egg yolks, two tablespoons of raw honey, iodized salt.

Digestion, cognition and mood are much, much better than when I was almost vegan, although Mirtazapine gives me some chronic discomfort (nausea, headaches) unfortunately.

Capture d’écran 2023-10-07 à 19.05.35.png

Capture d’écran 2023-10-07 à 19.05.54.png

The only thing i see on that list that's considered healthy is that Knudsen brand just cranberry drink, and maybe that rolled butter as far as a healthier choice butter goes. That's it.

16 hours ago, Osaid said:

Popcorn is surprisingly nutritious. It's a whole grain, but lacks gluten. It's also one of the best sources of fiber.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/popcorn-nutrition-and-health

I think it's good as long as it's not the microwavable kind. I was concerned about GMO; but according to google, it's a distinct kind of corn that is used for popcorn and has not been genetically modified if bought in the USA. Regular corn is the #1 GMO food grown, most corn anyway. Can use coconut oil instead of butter to pop and spread over after popping. I use to sprinkle mine with melted coconut oil, turmeric powder, paprika and a dash of cayenne. Haven't had it for a while.

Know thyself....

1 hour ago, MarkKol said:

Nice

Know thyself....

4 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Croissant diet?? Now you got my attention. Croissant + coffee is a godly combo. French knew what they were doing when they combined butter and flour. But also coffee makes the digestion of fuel like carbs and fat more efficient, and croissants in particular are equally balanced in carbs and fat, which creates a nice energy IME.

In my normal diet I personally eat a sprouted organic whole wheat flatbread with ghee and coconut oil, not a croissant but close enough.

Edited by Osaid

Describe a thought.

21 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Presumably, some individuals on certain cultures survived for many years on a potato-only diet.

Speaking of this, I don't see the stigma around potato chips. Aside from the fat it is cooked in maybe, but you can easily find avocado oil varieties now. Is it the calories people are scared of?

I found a small (57g I think) bag of potato chips at Starbucks and it had like 750mg of potassium, that's insane. Double the amount in a banana. Potato chips are full of electrolytes.

Describe a thought.

4 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

I believe the microwaveable packaging has carcinogens or something, don't remember too well, wouldn't touch it either. Not hard to find healthy popcorn at the stores anymore either, with coconut oil and avocado oil and non-gmo or whatever.

Describe a thought.

13 hours ago, Osaid said:

Speaking of this, I don't see the stigma around potato chips. Aside from the fat it is cooked in maybe, but you can easily find avocado oil varieties now. Is it the calories people are scared of?

I found a small (57g I think) bag of potato chips at Starbucks and it had like 750mg of potassium, that's insane. Double the amount in a banana. Potato chips are full of electrolytes.

Probably their healthiest form is boiled, though. I think deep frying mess up with your liver, among other things. Not a nutritionist though.

Edited by UnbornTao