StarStruck

Finally found the source of my procrastination: resistance

15 posts in this topic

I talked to so many people about my procrastination problems and nobody could help me. After years of research I finally found it. The problem was my relation to resistance and how I developed resistance against resistance. It is such a deep topic. Pressfield wrote amazing books on this topic of resistance. I’m kind of bumped that nobody could help me with this but the professionals I asked had problems with resistance themselves so how could they have helped me. I’m on my phone so I don’t want to write a whole essay on it but I will do injustice to write my conclusion now but what it boils down to is that you have to find the love for what you want to achieve and stay connect to it otherwise you want be able to bare the suffering. You have to know you why (why you love what you want to achieve) so you can bare the road of suffering to find the how. You can only suffer so much to the extent you love and vis-à-vis. 

Did You find a theoretical answer, or did You find it as an experience/"object" inside your mind, directly?

Nevertheless, good job. :) I'm learning to deal with procrastination myself and I still haven't fully seen through its source. Sloth? Avoidance out of fear? Insufficient love/desire, as You say? I'm not sure yet.

I find that the answer to it is consciousness & movement. Consciously noticing that I want to avoid something and then deliberately doing it, out of desire to be better and active.

Edited by Sincerity

@Sincerity  recontextualization of resistance is needed. Resistance is neutral just like gravity is. If gravity doesn’t do what you want it to do it doesn’t mean it is lazy. You just don’t understand gravity and project your own human shit onto it in the same way you do with laziness. Understanding the laws of physics and metaphysics is the same. They are neutral forces, they have nothing against you but also nothing for you, just like god. 

Edited by StarStruck

25 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

I developed resistance against resistance

That's good. You have to go beyond though. Resistance is not a thing, it's a process. For example in my case procrastination comes about because of rejection (i.e. the process of rejecting).

I remember sitting in a chair probably less that two years old and my mum feeding me rice from a spoon. I remember becoming agited. My thought was: "Yes Mum I get it. Now I want to feed myself." But she kept on feeding me. Then I wanted get away, but I was trapped in my high chair.

Most of the things I procrastinate about feel exactly like this. They are all things that other people impose on me - and I automatically want to reject it - and my only way of doing that is to do nothing.

The above is just an example of the my process for procrastination. Your resistence is also a process and also probably tied to your past in different ways.

57% paranoid

@LastThursday I didn’t say resistance is a thing. I was talking about my relationship to resistance. And relationships aren’t things but it is a process like you say. 

The real cause of lethargy is actually a tamasic mind. And a tamasic mind can be caused by a milion things. Wrong impressions in the mind, masturbation, stimulants, bad diet, polluted air, dense ego, addictions, negative emotions, bad company of people, and a milion other things.

Strong inspiration definitely helps to push against the wind. But the weight of the lethargy can only come down by rightful living and having a pure satvic mind.  

Edited by Salvijus

You cannot love what you need. 

Do what you love or love what you are doing comes to my mind. That does not solve the problem I guess.

Most of the time people function on competition. Without it there is not much drive. So in the end it might work for some to just simplify so the tasks are doable without trauma.

The story of Mike Tyson comes to my mind: He said he was the happiest in prison. 
Amazing.

Edited by Epikur

Isn't resistance basically another way to say "procrastination"?  You have to discover WHAT the resistance IS, not merely that there is resistance.

9 hours ago, Sincerity said:

I find that the answer to it is consciousness & movement. Consciously noticing that I want to avoid something and then deliberately doing it, out of desire to be better and active.

Sweet! I’ve been going on daily walks in the park. It’s nice to see how things change every time I go… different people, insects, sounds, feelings, etc., etc.

Maybe I’ll be more adventure and try different routes, activities, take someone with me, etc., etc.

If you procrastinate and don’t know why you lack insight into yourself. Your identity is like an invisible prison. The walls are made of fear so when you encounter fear you have to move towards it. Not move away from it. The way to get to know yourself is not by thinking about yourself but feeling yourself. No phun intended. 

If something is truly necessary on your agenda then you will eventually do it, so what does it matter?
Why are you trying to rationalize? Do you want to be a slave happy to do something he doesn't really like?
If so then the solution is simple

téléchargement.jpeg

The devil is in the details.

51 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

If something is truly necessary on your agenda then you will eventually do it, so what does it matter?
Why are you trying to rationalize? Do you want to be a slave happy to do something he doesn't really like?
If so then the solution is simple

téléchargement.jpeg

Never tried those bitches. People tell me that those have side effects. 

7 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Never tried those bitches. People tell me that those have side effects. 

Alcohol also has a bunch of side effects, yet billions of people consume it anyway.

2 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Alcohol also has a bunch of side effects, yet billions of people consume it anyway.

People also take coke