Carl-Richard

Peterson Academy - a glorified Hustlers University?

38 posts in this topic

My mind can't help but to draw comparisons to the hugely profitable business model of Hustlers University by Dr. Emory Andrew Tate lll himself.

Their purported goal is to drive down the price of a bachelor's degree to 4000 dollars, which sounds like a noble pursuit in itself, but charging this amount of money before having achieved accreditation does seem like a bit of a hustler-esque kind of move à la Tate the lll, right? (because an unaccredited "bachelor's degree" isn't really a bachelor's degree, right?).

At least there doesn't seem to be a MLM component involved (for now :ph34r:). But do they really need that when they charge 4000 dollars just for some video lectures? I'd be interested to see what those lectures are about and what types of degrees they're offering.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoKnYuGvOGf/?hl=en

I just imagined a scenario where some controversial political figure 100-200 years ago ended up creating their own education institution and what that would've looked like today given some sort of success. I mean, isn't that essentially the story of many universities today (e.g. Harvard)? Maybe in the not so far future, what looks like a shady online business in its startup phase might be largely indistinguishable from most universities today.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Online universities have been scamming people since the dawn of the internet. So nothing really new here.

With that said, creating a high quality online university is a great idea. It's just that I wouldn't trust JP to do it. He's gonna introduce a lot of his biases into it. But, in theory, it's a good idea. It just needs to be done properly, in an unbiased manner.

Sage University here we come! ;)

The trouble with running a university is that it comes with so much bureaucracy, red tape, administrative group-think, and political games. Especially if it's gonna be big enough to rival a real university. So you're gonna have many of the same problems.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The main courses are:

• Lobster anatomy
  • Real pronouns
  • Bedroom cleaning

Get your degree!

6 minutes ago, Hatfort said:

The main courses are:

• Lobster anatomy
  • Real pronouns
  • Bedroom cleaning

Get your degree!

Don't forget:

• Twitter Asshattery 101
  • Climate Denial 101
  • Jesus Smuggling 101
  • Kermit Vocals 101
  • How To Monetize Liberal Outrage 101
  • Custom Comic Book Villain Suits 101
Edited by Leo Gura

Ken Wilber has had an online university of his own if I remember correctly.

Listening to them describe it, it doesn't sound too bad. Everything will hinge on the execution and quality of the profressors.

Edited by Leo Gura

To have one of the most famous professors in the world go off and create his own version of academia can only be good for society. Knowledge needs to be delivered to 100% of the human population for ideally no cost so their cause of reducing price by 95% and making the employment opportunities comparable to a traditional institution is very admirable. 

<3

Online University is the solution to the high price of college now which is really a scam on young people.   When Coursera first came out and was free I took several dozen courses and they were all excellent.   I took some courses that I had taken in university and Coursera was way better.  They can get the best teachers in the country to teach the courses, and use online computer tools to enhance the learning.  AI learning is also going to be huge.   It's the perfect technology to break the University's monopoly.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

16 minutes ago, LordFall said:

To have one of the most famous professors in the world go off and create his own version of academia can only be good for society.

It's not good if it's gonna be overly ideological. Like PragerU. It has to be actual education vs propaganda.

Edited by Leo Gura

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Online universities have been scamming people since the dawn of the internet. So nothing really new here.

With that said, creating a high quality online university is a great idea. It's just that I wouldn't trust JP to do it. He's gonna introduce a lot of his biases into it. But, in theory, it's a good idea. It just needs to be done properly, in an unbiased manner.

Sage University here we come! ;)

The trouble with running a university is that it comes with so much bureaucracy, red tape, administrative group-think, and political games. Especially if it's gonna be big enough to rival a real university. So you're gonna have many of the same problems.

If we can mass educate people basically for free, won't that kind of destroy academia? One of the main reasons for people studying in academia is the eventual economic incentive. If you can make knowledge and competence virtually free and accessible to everyone, that will significantly inflate the number of people who are competent in any given area, and therefore drive down the market-value of those areas of competency.

I feel like we are just shifting towards a world where, we automate most jobs, and now everyone will scram for the few jobs that are available or high pay. There will be a huge overinflation of workers if that is the case, which will essentially just mean:

Automation leads to human beings having to study for 10 years just to get the monetary equivalent of working at McDonalds, because of how competitive the market as become. So, we will just have to invest more and more effort to get the same economic rewards.

And people will be desperate for those jobs, considering those who do not have jobs will have to subsist on minimal government pay outs to maintain the economy in the first place. We can't give people more money than they will get paid for some shitty job, because they will not do those jobs any longer, especially if a major portion of the population necessarily is without jobs.

And remember, the "shitty" jobs of the future will not be working at Mcdonalds, that will be automated. It will be studying 15 years to somehow manage to outcompete AI and everyone else to get a job that will probably have to be subsides by the government just to be economically rewarding enough.

From an education standpoint this is good, but from a worker standpoint this seems to just make everything more difficult.

All of this assumes we will not create genuine AI that will have average human IQ. If we do that, the only labour people will be able to do is physical labour that has too little economical reward to automate.

One of the fundamental problems is this: The more economic reward any given labour has, the more incentive there is to automate it. On a large scale, this means, everything that is high pay will be incentives to be automated, until only low pay jobs subsist, that will actually still be required to have civilization and the economy running.

This is a huge problem in my eyes.

Edited by Scholar

Some people are living Andrew Tate, day dreaming Andrew Tate when they brush their teeth, eating Andrew Tate, dreaming Andrew  tate. He lives rent free in some of you in the head lol.

Edited by StarStruck

Well, there is Coursera, Edx, Udemy, Udacity, Khan Academy. Lynda and more.

For me, I took more of Coursera and Edx to get some accreditions/minor diplomas or certificates but they ultimately don't seem any useful in my job search because company will still look at your main degree etc only.

Peterson still has a huge ego when he called his academy under his name. Why not called it 'Novel Academy' or something?

Edited by hyruga

4 hours ago, Scholar said:

If we can mass educate people basically for free, won't that kind of destroy academia? One of the main reasons for people studying in academia is the eventual economic incentive. If you can make knowledge and competence virtually free and accessible to everyone, that will significantly inflate the number of people who are competent in any given area, and therefore drive down the market-value of those areas of competency.

There will always be a need for well-educated people.

Jobs requiring high education are never going away. All this AI stuff is vastly overhyped. Don't get carried away with it.

Edited by Leo Gura

31 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There will always be a need for well-educated people.

Jobs requiring high education are never going away. All this AI stuff is vastly overhyped. Don't get carried away with it.

The argument isn't that the high education jobs will go away, but rather that they will be the only jobs left. Combine this with universal access to education, and the value of those jobs will significantly plummet.

A large portion of the population will of course be motivated to pursue those jobs, and now they will have access to education basically for free. Obviously this will make that type of labour less valuable in terms of market dynamics.

Edited by Scholar

@Scholar Why conflate the job loss issue with education? There is no alternative to education. The changing job market will have to be addressed through political means.

Edited by Leo Gura

4 hours ago, hyruga said:

Peterson still has a huge ego when he called his academy under his name. Why not called it 'Novel Academy' or something?

Obviously because his name is world famous by this point.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I would have prefered:

Jordanson Academy

7 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Some people are living Andrew Tate, day dreaming Andrew Tate when they brush their teeth, eating Andrew Tate, dreaming Andrew  tate. He lives rent free in some of you in the head lol.

Q.jpeg

Peterson has been so childish on twitter in the last few months. I had him in such high esteem as a neo-Jungian. He is obviously not that self-aware, enlightened and self-actualized as I thought. The only courses I would take from him is on psychology and those are already free on youtube.