StarStruck

Best way to debate the materialist paradigm

20 posts in this topic

@StarStruck

Kastrup basically says that right now materialist honestly believe that the skull is physically situated behind everything that is experienced. They believe that there is a light show that represents the outer world created inside the mind through photons entering the eyes.

I've brought this to the attention of materialist but they don't see what I mean. It's almost useless debating the average close minded person on their core beliefs. 

1 minute ago, StarStruck said:

@itsadistraction So the solution is to never try? That sounds very arrogant

Why don't you do it. Also you don't know what arrogance is if you think choosing to not debate someone is arrogance what is arrogant is thinking defeating someone in a debate will change their mind. I have spent years debating and my friend gave me an old adage that holds true...

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." If all it took was a debate to change people's minds....suffering wouldn't be a thing. Majority of humans need to suffer to learn something, logic is not something people actually care about and if you studied humanity long enough, or even yourself for that matter you would know this.

Humans are irrational, illogical creatures who weaponize logic through the filter of their bias to justify their lack of logic using logic to make it appear to be logical. Why? Because emotions, and physical sensations pull humans all over the place. Things like hunger, headaches, backaches, fatigue, hot, cold, painful memories, fear/judgment of appearances matter more to MOST people than your fancy sounding debate. Wanna know how much people care about logic? See which sells more or gets more views...comedy, drama t.v. shows, violent video games, or logical debates? LOL

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

Consciousness is like a computer screen and this universe is like a first-person 3d game. When you were first born all there were were appearances on that screen. At some point, you were told that this is because of a material world outside of the screen. You've never experienced this material world, will never be able to, and will never be able to prove its existence, but you've taken its existence on faith.

My worldview doesn't require faith. When I see a tree in a game on a computer screen I don't think there is some world behind the computer screen. I do have a model of a 3D world that lets me predict the appearance of the screen. I know this is just a model. 
There is the screen. Then there are appearances on the screen. Then I have a model of how these appearances work. That's all. It has the same predictive power as the materialist paradigm, but my worldview doesn't require faith.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

31 minutes ago, Razard86 said:

Why don't you do it. Also you don't know what arrogance is if you think choosing to not debate someone is arrogance what is arrogant is thinking defeating someone in a debate will change their mind. I have spent years debating and my friend gave me an old adage that holds true...

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." If all it took was a debate to change people's minds....suffering wouldn't be a thing. Majority of humans need to suffer to learn something, logic is not something people actually care about and if you studied humanity long enough, or even yourself for that matter you would know this.

Humans are irrational, illogical creatures who weaponize logic through the filter of their bias to justify their lack of logic using logic to make it appear to be logical. Why? Because emotions, and physical sensations pull humans all over the place. Things like hunger, headaches, backaches, fatigue, hot, cold, painful memories, fear/judgment of appearances matter more to MOST people than your fancy sounding debate. Wanna know how much people care about logic? See which sells more or gets more views...comedy, drama t.v. shows, violent video games, or logical debates? LOL

Sometimes it is not about debating to win the argument. You never have discussions with other people? And you never tell your own opinion? The moment you tell your own opinion there is room for debate but I don't prefer debating. This thread is more about what would your strategy be to explain your position.

14 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Sometimes it is not about debating to win the argument. You never have discussions with other people? And you never tell your own opinion? The moment you tell your own opinion there is room for debate but I don't prefer debating. This thread is more about what would your strategy be to explain your position.

Not picking on you but you do have the word "DEBATE" in your heading. Just so you realize that.

Know thyself....

24 minutes ago, martins name said:

Consciousness is like a computer screen and this universe is like a first-person 3d game. When you were first born all there were were appearances on that screen. At some point, you were told that this is because of a material world outside of the screen. You've never experienced this material world, will never be able to, and will never be able to prove its existence, but you've taken its existence on faith.

My worldview doesn't require faith. When I see a tree in a game on a computer screen I don't think there is some world behind the computer screen. I do have a model of a 3D world that lets me predict the appearance of the screen. I know this is just a model. 
There is the screen. Then there are appearances on the screen. Then I have a model of how these appearances work. That's all. It has the same predictive power as the materialist paradigm, but my worldview doesn't require faith.

This

Know thyself....

5 hours ago, StarStruck said:

@itsadistraction So the solution is to never try? That sounds very arrogant

@StarStruckmaybe you are right. Who am I to say what kind of conversations or debates you engage in. You didn't ask us if you SHOULD debate this topic you were just looking for points. I was just looking out for you as a friend to not engage in something that probably won't bring you joy or satisfaction or results.  But you can also debate this topic with yourself and maybe that was your intention in the first place. That's a debate you might win!

However, we did give you some good debate points and hope they help and thanks for the question. 

Edited by itsadistraction

@StarStruck

10 hours ago, StarStruck said:

How would you go about it? 

Depends on if I go first or the materialist goes first I guess.

If I go, I'd set the framing, and define what is materialism first, what a paradigm is first, and what GOD and consciousness is first. For example:

GOD = EXISTENCE.

GOD = EVERYTHING.

GOD = INFINITY.

GOD = TOTALITY and ONENESS,  and that one perspective, in this case the scientist/rationalist/atheist and even the theist/priest, these human beings cannot have one without the other, that GOD and existence/everything/infinity are interconnected, interwoven and intricately linked together.

GOD/DEVIL are the same.

Atheism is the devil.(Guaranteed to piss off Atheists?). 

If the materialist goes first to set frame, I have two major choices: I can go the Jesse Lee Peterson route and just ask simple clarifying questions, with questions point out logical fallacies. Or, offer my definitions to re-define the framing of those words, and some appeals to some pathos/ethos/logos, and play the fallacy game more than them, more aggressive approach IMO.

You can't debate most people on it. They won't even know what you're talking about.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

30mg of 5-MeO-DMT ;)

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

A debate may be engaged as a way to validate one's preconceptions, to gain social recognition, make the other wrong, get entertained, etc. It is not about serious questioning. Wanting to debate might be motivated by a very real and personal background sense that the truth of the matter is actually unknown, hence wanting to defend what each party assumes is true. Best to remain open.

A good starting point would be to be honest and to call things by their name, call a worldview a worldview, a set of assumptions. Admit that it is something you believe in and not an experience of the truth; that remains presently unknown to you. This applies to any other philosophical perspective as well. 

What about turning the debate into a shared contemplation? That'd be fruitful.

Edited by UnbornTao

Just now, Leo Gura said:

30mg of 5-MeO-DMT ;)

That'd be a hell of a debate!

xD 

lol just tell them matter has never been and never will be found because it does not exist. 

The entire materialistic paradigm (which they do not know they're trapped in, of course) is based on something that does not exist.

Science has never found matter and science has no idea what consciousness is. Scientist do not have answers to the most fundamental questions of reality, so they all just kind of collectively agree to ignore those issues and continue doing their delusional experiments.

"Mater" is just a belief. You can prove this for yourself, on your own, if you introspect deep enough and if you are conscious enough.

@ivankiss Tell them that their pet theory doesn’t matter and never will matter. Let’s see how they respond :$