Zedman

Russell Brand is being accused of rape

681 posts in this topic

@Tanz

5 minutes ago, Tanz said:

@Leo Gura @Danioover9000

Russels channel has grown faster than any news channel on the internet and they see it as a threat.  The major share holders for major news networks are also own by the same people that have shares in google.  

Lets say there are angry women writing into youtube to get them to demonetize Brand.... There are gun channels that are monetization on youtube despite of school shootings happening so I dont think it has to do with angry women writing in about Brand because I would see a bunch of angry parents writing to youtube all the time every time there is a shooting.  

If the YouTube business holders viewed Russel's Channel as a threat, why wait this long when they could've taken his channel down 5-10 years ago?

Two very different contexts you're talking about. We're mainly talking of rape and speculating on Russel's guilty or not, and cancel culture. We're not talking about gun Channels or mass shootings like what? Why conflate the two different contexts?

FYI, YT has demonitized gun channels in the past on a platform wide level. But then they reversed it.

YT is pretty fickle. I'm betting they will eventually reverse this Brand action because it is so rash and excessive. I think a lot of people will also support Brand once they hear of this. YT has gotten themselves into a PR disaster now.

I usually support YT, but this action of theirs has even pissed me off. And I don't even like Russell Brand. But Brand deserves some due process here. Brand is not some sort of Andrew Tate or Alex Jones.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Tanz

9 minutes ago, Tanz said:

@Leo Gura @Danioover9000

Russels channel has grown faster than any news channel on the internet and they see it as a threat.  The major share holders for major news networks are also own by the same people that have shares in google.  

Lets say there are angry women writing into youtube to get them to demonetize Brand.... There are gun channels that are monetization on youtube despite of school shootings happening so I dont think it has to do with angry women writing in about Brand because I would see a bunch of angry parents writing to youtube all the time every time there is a shooting.  

In fact, best opportunity, if YouTube and those holders felt threatened, is to take down his channel for spreading covid-19 misinformation, and shadow ban him from YouTube, force him out to other video platforms or other social media sites. That's if they really are threatened, they could easily do just that, so why wait so long just to cancel him?

12 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

hat raises the issue of how were the women ever found if they never reported it? 

Its easy google, apple and the government have a list of people you've come in contact with.  We live in a surveillance state. They have a chain of all people you've met and have contact with, you don't have to be famous.  

I will likely wait and see if this whole thing is going official, I mean official investigation into the matter.

@Tanz

Just now, Tanz said:

Its easy google, apple and the government have a list of people you've come in contact with.  We live in a surveillance state. They have a chain of all people you've met and have contact with, you don't have to be famous.  

Oh no, the evil surveillance state! How am I to privately change my clothes, the evil pervy politicians, when they've tapped into my computers and my phones?!? Sorry, in comparison to a user messaging me that my pic was used as masturbation material, there's little comparison. Surveillance systems are needed, given the big population numbers and density per state, cities and even counties and towns. FBI and other criminal investigation cases do rely on CCTV footages showing mass shootings, kidnappings, theft, or other bits of information to track offenders, so no realistically we still need a surveillance system in place, just like we need a strong robust moderation system in this forum.

There's good reason why we sometimes need regulation systems in check. Please keep your anti establishment anti mainstream biases in check.

23 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

spreading covid-19 misinformation, and shadow ban him from YouTube

He worded his language in a clever way.  He never offered his opinion on covid, but more on the minds of how people feel.  I don't feel he gave misinformation.  If so can you cite a clip with a timestamp?

More than likely it took them a while to track everyone down and get enough stuff.  

Who knows how deep this things goes....

13 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

There's good reason why we sometimes need regulation systems in check. Please keep your anti establishment anti mainstream biases in check.

You are pretty naive, data collection is extremely valuable.  At the least companies store data and sell them, its not far fetched that companies wont sell that information to data brokers or to the government or give it to them to get tax breaks any many other things.  
Here is a video of a guy in tech that talks about relationship map

Edited by Tanz

@Tanz

1 minute ago, Tanz said:

He worded his language in a clever way.  He never offered his opinion on covid, but more on the minds of how people feel.  I don't feel he gave misinformation.  If so can you cite a clip with a timestamp?

More than likely it took them a while to track everyone down and get enough stuff.  

Who knows how deep this things goes....

You are pretty naive, data collection is extremely valuable.  At the least companies store data and sell them, its not far fetched that companies wont sell to the government or give it to them to get tax breaks any many other things.  
Here is a video of a guy in tech that talks about relationship map

That was what I was saying, that surveillance systems are needed, and you were saying the opposite of that. Yes data collection is important, but I don't know to what extent is it sold to other parties, or is just stored for future use. Obviously it's important, data collection of users or people, because, you know, if one person offends and does a criminal action, and the system has data on the one individual, can make tracking much quicker no?

@Danioover9000 I'm making a point to @Jodistrict that its not hard for companies to have data on people and whom they came in contact with.  Finding people connected to Brand in the past isn't hard.

Surveillance can be helpful but equally that kind of power can be abused by people in power that can do more harm because they have so much power.  

@Tanz

2 minutes ago, Tanz said:

@Danioover9000 I'm making a point to @Jodistrict that its not hard for companies to have data on people and whom they came in contact with.  Finding people connected to Brand in the past isn't hard.

Surveillance can be helpful but equally that kind of power can be abused by people in power that can do more harm because they have so much power.  

So one negative outweighs the positives of a system?

9 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

So one negative outweighs the positives of a system?

I'm not sure if it is used for positive or not and to what extent.  If they had that kind of power, they would be able to find an authentic person whom wants to change things and we would have a better president than Biden.  
Its safe to say these companies and the government want to keep things the same.

I know people in law enforcement, why aren't they getting more calls of people molesting children?

If they are going at the velocity of going after Brand why not go after someone worst?

Edited by Tanz

If advertisers do not want to associated with rapists, then YT would remove them for obvious reasons.

He is most likely guilty. Just my first impressions here. I wish I am wrong. 

------

YT is just trying to save it's ass. There is a money issue and nothing more. They want to make it advertiser friendly and no one is cancelled. And he is not short on money anyway.

If YT had principles, which is too much to ask for a corporation, then they would wait until he was convicted. 

If they don't do anything, then they could get too much flack.

I agree with Leo that the government should come up with some protocol on how organizations should treat the accused until they are proven guilty. There are far too many situations like this happening and it is putting everyone involved in a dilemma. 

Edited by Bobby_2021

27 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

If advertisers do not want to associated with rapists, then YT would remove them for obvious reasons.

But we don't know that he's a rapist yet.

And if it is YT's policy that rapists are not allowed to be YouTubers, then they should state so explicitly in their terms of service.

Imagine if you went to a grocery store and they told you: "Sorry, you raped someone 15 years ago, so no food for you."

The reason we have a legal system is to punish crime so that private businesses don't have to.

If Brand raped someone, let him go to prison. But nowhere is it written that the punishment for rape involves losing your YouTube channel.

What YouTube should police is the content of videos posted on YouTube, not outside behavior. If Brand was promoting rape on YouTube, then YT should rightly ban him. But he's not even close to doing that. This alleged rape occurred before YT even existed as a platform.

Edited by Leo Gura

29 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

And if it is YT's policy that rapists are not allowed to be YouTubers, then they should state so explicitly in their terms of service.

I wonder if Mike Tyson is next in line. Or maybe YouTube's policy only relates to hearsay. Perhaps you should send the powers that be at YouTube a link to your Explicit vs. Implicit Understanding video. xD

Edited by Alex M

6 minutes ago, Alex M said:

I wonder if Mike Tyson is next inline. Or maybe YouTubes policy only relates to hearsay.

In truth, YT's policy relates to public pressure and outrage. That is their one ultimate unstated policy: don't piss off the mob too much or you get canned.

But this opens the door for manipulation.

This is why the court system does not work based off mob rule. Court decisions are often not what the mob wants because justice requires careful evaluation of evidence. The evidence against Brand has not yet been carefully evaluated.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

In truth, YT's policy relates to public pressure and outrage. That is their one ultimate policy: don't piss off the mob too much or you get canned.

Of course, survival 101

2 minutes ago, Alex M said:

Of course, survival 101

Bingo!

@Tanz

1 hour ago, Tanz said:

I'm not sure if it is used for positive or not and to what extent.  If they had that kind of power, they would be able to find an authentic person whom wants to change things and we would have a better president than Biden.  
Its safe to say these companies and the government want to keep things the same.

I know people in law enforcement, why aren't they getting more calls of people molesting children?

If they are going at the velocity of going after Brand why not go after someone worst?

They did go after Mr. Girl, with the shady mass reporting by Those other streamers.