Samuel

Is Self-Deception Infinite?

19 posts in this topic

I’ve been contemplating my own self deception quite a bit. For me, self deception seems infinitely deep. Whenever i uncover my own bullshit I have this moment of clarity, insight, awareness, but soon i get used to that level and it becomes the new deception. I’ve got to the point where i feel like i can’t really rest since i feel that i’m always decieving myself on a deeper level that i’m not yet aware of.

How to make sense of this?

Well, in a sense all of reality is one big game of self deception... and since reality is unlimited, so is the deception it entails.

This is why it is futile to try to "escape the labyrinth". The name of the game is to simply recognize the labyrinth for what it is... and once that is accomplished, being stuck inside a labyrinth simply stops being an issue, you see?

2 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Well, in a sense all of reality is one big game of self deception... and since reality is unlimited, so is the deception it entails.

This is why it is futile to try to "escape the labyrinth". The name of the game is to simply recognize the labyrinth for what it is... and once that is accomplished, being stuck inside a labyrinth simply stops being an issue, you see?

You got it!!!! Can't escape yourself....because you are everywhere and nowhere LOL.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

I'm reminded of the story where Nisargadatta would ask a follower "what is your experience of Truth" and no matter what answer they gave his reply was always the same "No that's not it".

Yea it continues like that until awakening ..then it’s rest

after awakening there’s remnants left of these layers but it takes care of itself pretty much and burns of quickly naturally 

it’s very counter intuitive how it works also. So the very idea you’re deceiving yourself might be the next thing to die. Then some next thing…then some next thing. doesn’t have to be that way but was from my experience . Like a dying off of layers. I relate strongly to your description 

you’re noticing a pattern in you. 

sometimes you don’t have to make effort as these limiting beliefs /deceptions can break apart by themselves. But it’s understandable it doesn’t feel good. Isn’t really supposed to feel good because it’s unstable by nature, until awakening.

Edited by Sugarcoat

I'd prefer the word delusion, as in, you believe a falsehood without deliberately deceiving yourself.

The big question is can you ever tell the difference between a delusion (falsehood) and actuality (truthfulness)? Probably not. I think the best we have is that we believe that things are true until proven false. But we can be stubborn and believe false things even with evidence to the contrary. Then that would be self-deception. The problem there is, is can we believe the contrary evidence even if it refutes our delusion? How do we stop replacing one delusion with another? People can even be collectively deluded (say miasma theory).

Delusion is a type of ignorance or innocence: we don't know what we don't know. Self-deception nearly always serves some sort of purpose and that's why we hold onto it, we choose to do it.

57% paranoid

Every single thing about the universe is infinite in its own unique special infinite way

Edited by Hojo

A big trap is trying not to be wrong.  Looking is more fruitful than thinking. Handle whatever problems you are facing right now and the deceptions will have less of an effect on you. 

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

It implies duality, which means it cannot ever truly be infinite. But I suppose it can seem as if it's sticking around for a very long while.

16 hours ago, Ajax said:

A big trap is trying not to be wrong.  Looking is more fruitful than thinking. Handle whatever problems you are facing right now and the deceptions will have less of an effect on you. 

Depends on what your definition of wrong is. For some trying not to be wrong, is never accepting that you could be wrong. But trying not to be wrong is functional when it is motivated by a desire for accuracy. Again authenticity rains supreme. 

An authentic desire to not be wrong will come with open-mindedness, intellectual curiosity, and a desire to find both consistency and inconsistency. A desire for exploration and integration. An inauthentic desire will aim to win ideological disputes and discussions and to close all challenges to their paradigms. 

Everything depends on authenticity....that is why a desire for truth cannot be separated from authenticity.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

2 hours ago, ivankiss said:

It implies duality, which means it cannot ever truly be infinite. But I suppose it can seem as if it's sticking around for a very long while.

Why should Duality itself not be infinite?

1 hour ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Why should Duality itself not be infinite?

Can something that has a boundary, a limit, be infinite? 

Self-Deception is how God created this game for himself. 

You are not a human deceiving itself and awakening. You are God deceiving itself to play with itself. Honestly, I am not aware of exactly why it is the case of this play but I know that the mechanism by which it functions is God deceiving itself.

In Hinduism, it is said that God performs 5 main actions: Creating, Preserving, Destructing, Putting in delusion, Taking out of delusion and Liberation. Using this paradigm, we could say that deceiption belongs to putting in delusion and is one of the chief actions of God. All actions are said to be infinite and all contain all in themselves.

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

5 hours ago, Razard86 said:

Depends on what your definition of wrong is. For some trying not to be wrong, is never accepting that you could be wrong. But trying not to be wrong is functional when it is motivated by a desire for accuracy. Again authenticity rains supreme. 

YOU generate self-created truths that require no confirmation. The moment you look for confirmation you counter the original truth with another "truth" that creates resistance (a condition of Non confront). Any counter to an intention is introducing the idea that you don't know, or something is wrong.  That is the macrocosm of resistance. The physical universe is a manifestation of that control+resistance. 

If you ran a process of:

1. Putting in a unit of time.

2. Spot something that you are willing to resist. 

3. Putting in a new unit of time.

4. Spot something that you are unwilling to resist. 

5. Repeat steps 1-4 until both resisting and unresisting simultaneously deconstruct... and well I won't ruin the surprise! lol

Actually, this process is much harder to implement than it appears, and it may take days, weeks, months of continually running through those 4 steps, depending on your level of resistance.  However, I can't explain exactly what I mean, you would have to see for yourself. 

This idea is unreal to you, so please... disregard! 

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

2 hours ago, ivankiss said:

Where is the boundary of Duality?

On 9/13/2023 at 10:58 AM, Samuel said:

I’ve been contemplating my own self deception quite a bit. For me, self deception seems infinitely deep. Whenever i uncover my own bullshit I have this moment of clarity, insight, awareness, but soon i get used to that level and it becomes the new deception. I’ve got to the point where i feel like i can’t really rest since i feel that i’m always decieving myself on a deeper level that i’m not yet aware of.

The ego is self deception.  It is an illusion after all.  So why wouldn't it make perfect sense that it's end goal is to deceive?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

9 hours ago, ivankiss said:

^^^^^^^ Here ya go. Don't put limits on Reality/God. There is no such thing as Impossible lol.

I mean… you can go the religious route and beat yourself up for being a bad person.

Or you can realize You are GOD, and literally stop giving a fuck. Which will ironically make you more loving in the long-term.

On 13/09/2023 at 0:58 PM, Samuel said:

Relatable