Ayham

Escaping Iraq: where to?

15 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I am from Iraq and in my last year of high school, I have good grades and I am also working and saving money.

I want to escape this place, preferably before college.

I want to get a scholarship to a first world country, I am definitely applying for USA, but what else? what are some good countries that are worth applying to?
I don't mean just in terms of self actualization (which is included), I also want a country with great financial opportunities.

I have relatives in the USA, UK and Sweden if that helps 

Also let us say I leave for the USA, will I be able to find a good job? I heard it is hard to find a job as someone from a third world country.

I know basics of programming and I also have a digital marketing certification, and I read books on marketing too.
But not enough in any of this to get a job.
I am currently working online with my uncles, they have a telecommunications company in the USA.

My plan is to basically study anything in college with a good degree as a backup, during college work on my LP by making a social media following, and making contents and products, and also self learn web development.
So after college if my LP is generating enough money, I will just drop everything and focus on it, if not, I will just work as a programmer until my LP generates enough money, and if anything goes wrong I should also have a degree just in case (which I haven't decided what degree)

So my questions:
Is USA worth it? would I be able to get myself a good job? what are some other good countries with good job opportunities, living conditions and more open to immigrants? what do you recommend for a major or a degree that has a good future (maybe AI related?) even though I probably won't work in it? tips for applying to scholarships? do you think leaving after college is a safer option? what are good states in the USA with job opportunities? 

Really, anything would be useful, please share anything you know :)

I believe in the religion of Love
Whatever direction its caravans may take,
For love is my religion and my faith.

Sweden has the highest quality of life among your listed countries. Individualism is high, although the people are radically different than people from Iraq. They can be rather cold and introverted. Muslims are welcome if you are one. My parents and grandparents couldn't legally migrate to the west before the fall of the iron curtain so I can sympathise. I'm from Hungary btw.

@fabger thanks for your sympathy :)

My uncle in Sweden says life is very depressive there, everything basically closes at early evening, and there is not much outdoor life 
I don't think I would mind that though

But there is also the language problem, I only know English and Arabic

and I am not a Muslim btw

Edited by Ayham

I can speak slightly from a tech pov, I'm somewhat in the culture

America is great for tech

Lots of great cities for it. SF, Austin, NYC, Seattle, LA

I think every big city should have decent tech opportunities 

I think if your resume is good, coming out of college is a breeze to land a job in tech

Also btw networking also allows you to land jobs too. (From friends, friends of friends, network or a fraternity) You can skip steps this way thru referrals 

So yeah no issues getting job here if ur resume/network is good

Edited by Jacob Morres

@Jacob Morres Awesome! 

Canada, that's a great option, will look more into it

There is an executive/manager visa in the US so you could move up the company ladder if It’s really US based, I wouldn’t cross off Canada either just don’t expect to own a house if you move. 

Moving to the US legally is extremely hard.

Edited by MarkKol
The visa I mentioned is not valid for OP’s country

On 9/4/2023 at 11:54 AM, Ayham said:

I want to get a scholarship to a first world country, I am definitely applying for USA, but what else? what are some good countries that are worth applying to?
I don't mean just in terms of self actualization (which is included), I also want a country with great financial opportunities.

Begging the west to indoctrinate you more with science isn't the best idea.. 

I am currently working online with my uncles, they have a telecommunications company in the USA.

they can hire you and get you there, your job is secured. Other than that, I wonder why you're working for them online. Are you working for cheap because they're your uncles?

I know basics of programming and I also have a digital marketing certification, and I read books on marketing too.

with that you need idea and you can open your own business and make money! you can forget about studying more..

Sweden is boring but great id you have wife.

Good if you want the government to be more awaken and sane in the membrane and not discuss in the congress  how many genders there are but stuff that matters.

Many good looking Girls also if you want to see models every day ln the street or wherever you go.

Also, if covid hits again, you wont get lockdowned or forced the needle. 

Human rights is still real in Sweden.

Edited by D2sage

Take the American SAT exam. Then use your good high school grades and SAT score to try and become an international student at an American University.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

@Mesopotamian
Hey, so yes, I did take Leo's LP course and I have a life purpose I want to actualize, which is an online business related to philosophy, personal development and spirituality, which I know is saturated, I have a plan to make it unique, and I am self-studying marketing to be able to pull it off better.

Regarding my uncles, they actually pay me pretty well for the amount of work I am doing, I make about 25 dollars per hour.

Why do I want to study? well in case my LP plan fails, I want to have a backup plan, something I can work with temporarily until my LP goes well.
I am thinking mainly something related to AI and programming because it will be pretty helpful to know the things that will run our future, I also like it.
Plus, studying somewhere with a scholarship is much easier than going on my own when I don't have much money, I will be able to make a good financial foundation for the first few years, then it will be easier.

@D2sage Sweden seems like the best choice in Europe

@Husseinisdoingfine Oh yes, it is part of the scholarship requirements too, so I would have to take it, can you tell me about it? I have to study for it right? for how long? is it easy? 

Edited by Ayham

@Ayham Good luck with everything bro, but try not to distribute your energy on so many fields. If you've truly found your LP then you shouldn't have a backup plan! cuz with your income, you can save some money and start teaching.

However one thing that's still missing is life experience, if you're not yet 18, there's no way you have enough of life experience that you can measure your progress against. Some questions you need to ask yourself, did you meet difficult people? did you experience really difficult situations?

If your life was looking good and you're earning, it's unlikely that you've been in tough times.. therefore all the teachings won't work probably and you'd be fooling yourself.

There's a video that's called "Theory VS Practice" .. the practice part you can only get it when you put yourself in tough situations, sometimes with no money, and no support from anybody..

Education won't save you..we're at a time when AI is going to replace everything! 

You are going to need something else.

Also teaching self-development might not be your true purpose, cuz out of everything, you have chosen the profession of the guru who's teaching you.. 

I am not convinced about not having a backup plan, if things go downhill I will be screwed, I will do it stratgically.

Regarding life experience, yes I probably don't have enough of that, so I am trying to get more.

I get the thing about AI, so I am trying to get into an AI related field while also self learning AI and web development at home.

And I am sure teaching personal development and philosophy along with spiritual topics is my purpose, I have been interested in this stuff ever since I was 12, I started reading books and watching videos on those topics, I started with new age spirituality and the productivity side of personal development, I didn't practice anything back then, I only ingested theory, at 14 I found Leo, who I consumed a lot for a year or two, all of his old videos and most of his new ones, I had a spiritual existential crisis lasting 3 months, and I have been doing practices ever since, even though I stopped watching Leo a long time ago, mainly because all of his videos got repetitive, I watch other people now.

I actually thought about that, when I was doing the life purpose course, what if I am just influenced into this? but I realized the reason I got into all of this is because its my purpose in the first place, and nothing brings me more joy, my life purpose in one sentence would be: "contributing understanding that offers radical wisdom and growth" 

Thank you for your answers, I will consider them