Razard86

The Value of Arrogance, Humility, and Confidence

8 posts in this topic

Each emotional expression has its pros and cons. For example Arrogance is often maligned but anybody who has been in a competitive environment understands the value of arrogance and why it exists. Arrogance is a ridiculously high level of faith in oneself. Arrogance gives you the ability to push past your current limitations by ignoring or miscalculating your current limitations. Arrogance is what fools do, but only brash arrogant fools have the opportunity of surprising themselves in the arena of competition to reach heights never dreamed of. This is accomplished only if those brash arrogant fools also add hard work to this emotional expression.

Many place humbleness as a virtue not realizing that this emotional expression has drawbacks. Humbleness can create passivity, it can create a lack of standards, and create a permissive atmosphere where due care is not taken to show proper respect. Sometimes the proper respect is to demand it, and a humble mindset which does not include a healthy dosage of resistance will back down and create some justification for ill or improper treatment. 

Confidence is a healthy medium, where humbleness and arrogance meet, confidence is born. Confidence is a healthy understanding of one's own limitations. Confidence has nothing to prove, and only acts when needed or called upon. The issue with Confidence is, since Confidence abhors arrogance without a healthy understanding of one's own limits confidence can actually become a stop gap or limit on growth. The line between Confidence and Arrogance is so small at its edges where it meets that often onlookers will mistake Confidence for Arrogance and vice versa. 

When it comes to facing fears, Confidence is the most healthy/balanced expression, but Arrogance and Humility have their place as well. The key to balance, the key to confidence, is KNOW THYSELF. Awareness of your capabilities will come with daily observance of what you are currently capable of. There is a saying I have come up with in the past "Be a FAN of yourself." The same fervor you would use to follow a role model, or some inspirational figure, turn that same attention on your individual self. 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

2 hours ago, Razard86 said:

Each emotional expression has its pros and cons. For example Arrogance is often maligned but anybody who has been in a competitive environment understands the value of arrogance and why it exists. Arrogance is a ridiculously high level of faith in oneself. Arrogance gives you the ability to push past your current limitations by ignoring or miscalculating your current limitations. Arrogance is what fools do, but only brash arrogant fools have the opportunity of surprising themselves in the arena of competition to reach heights never dreamed of. This is accomplished only if those brash arrogant fools also add hard work to this emotional expression.

Many place humbleness as a virtue not realizing that this emotional expression has drawbacks. Humbleness can create passivity, it can create a lack of standards, and create a permissive atmosphere where due care is not taken to show proper respect. Sometimes the proper respect is to demand it, and a humble mindset which does not include a healthy dosage of resistance will back down and create some justification for ill or improper treatment. 

Confidence is a healthy medium, where humbleness and arrogance meet, confidence is born. Confidence is a healthy understanding of one's own limitations. Confidence has nothing to prove, and only acts when needed or called upon. The issue with Confidence is, since Confidence abhors arrogance without a healthy understanding of one's own limits confidence can actually become a stop gap or limit on growth. The line between Confidence and Arrogance is so small at its edges where it meets that often onlookers will mistake Confidence for Arrogance and vice versa. 

When it comes to facing fears, Confidence is the most healthy/balanced expression, but Arrogance and Humility have their place as well. The key to balance, the key to confidence, is KNOW THYSELF. Awareness of your capabilities will come with daily observance of what you are currently capable of. There is a saying I have come up with in the past "Be a FAN of yourself." The same fervor you would use to follow a role model, or some inspirational figure, turn that same attention on your individual self. 

Beautiful Post:x Love it! Thank you for sharing! It warms my heart to see this expressed so artfully!

Actually, the only thing wrong with arrogance is whether or not it delivers the expected results. The metric should be on improvement. Not winning or losing. If you start doing stupid things to avoid losing, you are not delivering the expected result. This is coming from a place of uncertainty. 

Be able to win and lose with the same level of enthusiasm. 

Thus, Arrogance is a manifestation of certainty. If you feel you can't be strong, without putting others down... making them feel wrong... you are right, you are not strong and you are operating with uncertainty. 

This is why people often have a problem with arrogance, they recall past experiences where they felt suppressed by someone making them feel wrong. It is a reaction... a dramatization of past experiences. 

I won't go into humbleness right now, but it is also based on a consideration of certainty and being right or wrong. 

Confidence is an ability that is also based on certainty. It is important to differentiate between knowing and belief... just as you said... know thyself. 

Arrogance and humility are related how you deal with other people. Confidence is a more personal thing, how you regard and treat yourself. With a great deal of confidence, you can say with certainty, that you are an immodest man that truly has much to be modest for (as well as state the opposite of that statement). That way you can operate with both + and - and not be fixated on one or the other and be able to express and experience innumerable viewpoints at will. This makes you source.

Thanks for the wonderful post. 

LOVE

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

I just add my personal imaginary concept, "skillful" before any bad word and then it makes sense, just apply intelligent love transforming rules to those according to your skill level and/or preference.

Skillful arrogance
Skillful hate
Skillful 3rd degree burns
Skillful cringe
Skillful ratting

Usually requires an intuitive combination(non linguistic but you can pull out concepts if you're skillful enough) of multiple truths to make sense, so arrogance should stay as what is and still be good(it can even stay bad, which requires even more "skill") and of course transformation is allowed too, the whole gist.

12 hours ago, Razard86 said:

anybody who has been in a competitive environment understands the value of arrogance and why it exists

What about those who reach the highest, top levels of performance in their field and are totally ordinary and simple people and don't think of themselves to be of high importance and are respectful to others in the competition?

I always like those the most personally.

Edited by Salvijus

You cannot love what you need.

Loved this post been thinking about it good points...

There is nothing safe with playing it safe.

Great post Razard. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

Preciate it and now is where I expand it. The dividing line we can place between Arrogance and Confidence can be two factors. Arrogance thinks it is better than what it is, and Arrogance wants praise for what it does. Confidence know how good it is at doing something and doesn't desire praise just completing the task at hand.

Now notice this....a person can be confident and have another person praise them. The confident person gets the reward the arrogant person gives himself because an Arrogant person would want to publicly proclaim how great they are and look for others to agree with them. Now here is a question I propose to you. Let's say a person performs a deed, and internally brag to themselves how great they are....would you call that person arrogant in secret?

I personally believe that everyone should be their own fan. So when you accomplish things in life sing your own praises in secret. Because I truly believe that confidence is borne from private arrogance. LOL. It has worked for me at least and it grew my Self Love for myself.

Edited by Razard86

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.