Someone here

Is philosophy a form of art ?

12 posts in this topic

philosophy is my biggest passion in life. Then comes art. And I don't think this Is a coincidence.  The two overlap.

I sensed that there are really many parallels between philosophy and  art.

For me...reading a good philosophical text or listening to a well-reasoned argument often seemed akin to listening to a performance of a great musical composition or coming to understand a masterpiece of art or architecture.

Why is that ?? 

my mind is gone to a better place.  I'm elevated ..going out of space . And I'm gone .

No, it's a science. 

The final cause is the understanding of reality, not its contemplation (even if ultimately one is de facto the door to the other).

full (6).png

The devil is in the details.

@Schizophonia lol. The language of science is mathematics.  Mathematics has a great artistic effect on me .its pure beauty .solving a nice good algebra problem is akin to playing a good song . 

my mind is gone to a better place.  I'm elevated ..going out of space . And I'm gone .

56 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Schizophonia lol. The language of science is mathematics.  Mathematics has a great artistic effect on me .its pure beauty .solving a nice good algebra problem is akin to playing a good song . 

Yes, but suddenly everything would be more or less art, depending on the point of view.

full (6).png

@Schizophonia why do you post this stupid picture? 

4 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Schizophonia why do you post this stupid picture? 

Because it's fun and helps me convey more complete non-verbal communication.

It's not as if your questioning was very serious or of fundamental importance, it's above all a question of etymology so I allow myself. :)

3 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Because it's fun and helps me convey more complete non-verbal communication.

It's not as if your questioning was very serious or of fundamental importance, it's above all a question of etymology so I allow myself. :)

Well.. it might seem like that to you ..but to me it's important. 

Its quasi Trolling but I'm trying not to react emotionally.

Ever been in a situation where you say exactly the wrong thing before you even realize what happened? When you just react before thinking? I know I still do this a lot..and it’s something I’m still working on.

I do not like to be seen as an idiot any more than anyone else. But other than that..I really do not care very much.. unless I am in a situation where that would benefit me.. such as a job interview.

After all.. my actual intelligence does not change depending on another person's perspective. It is what it is regardles.. for better or worse.

Have a nice day/evening ? 

6 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Well.. it might seem like that to you ..but to me it's important. 

Its quasi Trolling but I'm trying not to react emotionally.

Ever been in a situation where you say exactly the wrong thing before you even realize what happened? When you just react before thinking? I know I still do this a lot..and it’s something I’m still working on.

I do not like to be seen as an idiot any more than anyone else. But other than that..I really do not care very much.. unless I am in a situation where that would benefit me.. such as a job interview.

After all.. my actual intelligence does not change depending on another person's perspective. It is what it is regardles.. for better or worse.

Have a nice day/evening ? 

I don't know if I understood correctly but if it wasn't clear I didn't take you for an idiot.
I just allowed myself to be more emotionally explicit and wacky because it's a subject that I find light, it's not like it's something "tense" like politics.
I don't currently have the ability/inclination to clarify myself again and again but I hope you see where I want to go.

I think philosophy is like art—but then again, I think that the picture of Kermit the frog eating popcorn and chilling out in a movie theatre is art. Philosophy can be lighthearted, chill, and amusing—just like the picture of Kermit. Philosophy can also be serious, heavy, difficult, and profound.

Personally, I like scientific approaches to philosophy, like using statistics in evaluating the common usage of terms (or re-defining words that are used in a non-ordinary ways).  It’s actually not a bad position, to say that philosophy is science. For example, “The aesthetic study of art must involve hypothesis and testing.” Is a picture of Kermit the Frog “stupid”? Not serous enough in an answer about art and philosophy? Insulting? Humiliating? But here, let’s see some statistics about how people ordinarily use the term “science” (or at least some dictionary definitions of “science” and “philosophy”). Do we really need a statistical analysis of people’s opinions about Kermit—or can we simply assert that Kermit represents the belief that people are trite and superficial—no transcendental ideals here?

Off the top of my head, there are at least a couple reasons why we should say that philosophy is a kind of science. 

The characteristic of rationality in science is appealing. People are philosophical by nature—or at least they have philosophies that are either conscious or unconscious. But science has taught us a great deal about better and worse conclusions. So, it is good to define philosophy as a science, to focus on the application of scientific methods in philosophy. 

Another reason  reason to define philosophy as a kind of “science” or knowledge is not ancient etymology—but a need to use the social legitimacy of science to legitimize a field that has lost a great deal of its credibility. For example, philosophy departments justify their now meagre budgets by promising analytical thinking skills for other fields of knowledge. Some philosophy department are even sub departments of ancient (art) history departments—like a specialization of studying ancient pottery. Now some ancient art professors might make a lot of money, but those are not booming philosophy departments. Maybe it’s better to define philosophy as a kind of science—“philosophy is like like medical technology research: it’s heavily experimental and useful...”

Philosophy can be a science when it's based on external data and measured. Philosophy is also an art. Art is creation. Humans create things and are the "Creator". We created philosophies, arts and sciences. We created this page. We are creating all the feelings, thoughts and emotions from typing these words and how we are perceiving them, and the Kermit, and the popcorn. Love one another and everything.

Philosophy and art are about telling good engaging stories. As a side effect both can be about getting at some sort of truth about the world. There's an aesthetic and emotional dimension to both disciplines, which is ok for its own sakes - it doesn't all have to be about truth. Perhaps both are ultimately about transformation?

57% paranoid

Well, it depends on how you define concepts. Deleuze, for instance, would be closer to the idea that philosophy is some sort of an art than Carnap. 

Edited by Vibroverse