Oliver Wright

How to sleep 2-4 hours per day

145 posts in this topic

I slept only 5 hours, three days in a row now... and it's not nice. I definitely do not feel like it's enough.

I tried pretty much everything when it comes to sleeping patterns, and what I found is that 8 to 9 hours of sleep works the best for me. My mind is much quieter, I'm more centered, clear-headed, emotionally stable, etc.

Even if I sleep for 5-6 hours my productivity and motivation levels just drop (compared to 8). This video talks about it: 

Keep in mind, as you get older you need less sleep. So Sadhguru's age is also an important factor.

If you're a young guy in your 20's you're not gonna have the sleep quote or sex drive of a 65 year old guru.

A lot of young people follow these old gurus, but the guru is so old he's in a totally different stage of life so copying him too much can be very misleading.

A more interesting question is what was Sadhguru like in his 20's?

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I am not disturbed.

As far as horny, most of your gurus are horny and have sex. Very few people are asexual.

I have no problem with excessive sexual craving. My sexuality is moderate and healthy.

And just because someone acts like a monk does not mean he isn't horny every day. Many of those monks are dying inside from horniness. But regardless, your level of sexual craving has nothing to do with consciousness of Truth. My claims about the nature of Consciousness, God, and Truth are all valid regardless of my sexuality.

That's so riduculous and stupid by society to expect gurus to have 0 sex desire or sex ambition

Been reading tons of #metoo stuff on yoga teacher space lately and it just feels so bad

Edited by Hello from Russia

47 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

That's so riduculous and stupid by society to expect gurus to have 0 sex desire or sex ambition

1) Again, people in this work just love to conflate consciousness with good behavior.

2) But to be fair, spiritual teachers who have many followers need to keep their sex drive in check because it can get so abusive.

Sex drive is not a problem so long as it is exercised in a healthy, non-toxic way.

Edited by Leo Gura

I did this and tracked this for 2-3 months, as a 20 year old guy if you can physically exhaust yourself and stretch yourself as well as and go through the rough period of sleeping like this and meditating as well as eating mostly light food. You can reduce your quota, yet it all depends I am a tall guy weighing 90kg's and I could reduce my sleep to 6-5h per night, while I felt the best around 4-3, yet I felt so high on this little amount of sleep I did not know if I built muscles also during this time, yet I certainly gained strength. 

I could barely pull this off consistently maximum was 5-6 days, yet I was training like an insane man and not going through life doing work and also did meditation 1h-45min a day, there are so many possible parameters, and I used a technique that helps tremendously when I am stressed out and sleeping in sleep cycles. 

2 hours ago, mydiamondsandpearls said:

Even if I sleep for 5-6 hours my productivity and motivation levels just drop (compared to 8). This video talks about it: 

Watching this video and what the guy did I'd test a bunch of stuff, if I could afford it as I really value my time and I looked into the science of it mainly videos. 

I still prefer sleeping 7-8h, yet I would look into some stuff the biggest issue I had with subtle lethargy and energy like I would be fine cognitively, yet subtely so exhausted from self-studying, reading, exercising studying for bachelors. This quantified self stuff, there are some tricks I bet you can do with mattresses & light & room temperature and air quality and exercise regmie, this is what for me had the biggest impact. My matress was very bad and cheap as I lived in a dorm. Sex drive was also an issue, as this kept my up at night and masturbation did not really help, this also gave me the biggest energy boost during the day when I did not sleep at all, and somehow fixed a lot of stuff when I worked out. With that sexual energy itself is meant, which is obvious. 

The stuff is so sublte it's not easy to put it into words. My goal was to implement a siesta sleep cycle of 6h30 of sleep, I would give it a shot, yet I personally felt the best around 3-4h of sleep, yet exercising was very difficult then as my body craved more sleep then. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

2 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

Been reading tons of #metoo stuff on yoga teacher space lately and it just feels so bad

@Hello from Russia It depends on where you set the bar. If one is talking about blissfulness, mastering the mind-energies, etc...and one is still dominated by the chasing-dopamine-serotonine high of sex like most of us are, then for me that means you are an absolute fake. 

If something is characterised by this high states of consciounesss, is that they feel way better than sex and thoughts of desire. Much better. 

So clearly if you a guru knows how to stay or be in those energies/states, their mind/system will not have any motive to fall into the sex game.

Let's not normalise it as if is something that can exist while you are supposedly in high states of being. Because if you are having sexual desire it means you already not in that state of being, you have fallen out of it. 

I mean... @Leo Gura  I truly expect sadhguru is not going around fucking hookers under the hood, cause then I´m really would be disappointed ??

Edited by Javfly33

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

30 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

I truly expect sadhguru is not going around fucking hookers under the hood, cause then I´m really would be disappointed

The point is that even if he is not doing that it doesn't say anything about his understanding of consciousness.

You can train yourself to act moral and pious without actually being very conscious. That's what Buddhists tend to do. It's a brute force behavioral training. Like training a dog to follow.

Edited by Leo Gura

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I try to do that. The issue is that I cannot know which methods will work best for you because you have different genetics than me. So the reason I try to be accommodating is to accommodate your unique genetics. It's easy to mislead people in this work by assuming everyone's genetics are the same. This is one of my biggest critiques of traditional spiritual teachings. They treat everyone the same when that's clearly not the case. And spiritual people tend to be extra quirky by default.

1. You can never understand someone else's genetics. Understanding oneself is itself a challenge so you are always cut short.

There is no winning when you are trying to bend to the whims of genetics of others because it is so complicated and out of control anyway 

2. Some people are genetically prone of bullshitting themselves. Any added trauma will only make it worse.

How often do you see a human so unapologetically pursue Truth at all costs. It's could be most likely that people have shitty genetics and so much bullshit up their head that they can't be saved. 

3. The best methods are independent of genetics, really. But people have varied personality, Creativity etc.

Just because a low creative person likes meditation doesn't mean that mediation is the correct technique for them.

What works is so clear and simple. 

---

Apart from all of this, genetics play a cruical role in one aspect: Sensitivity.

Sensitivity is genetic, as far as I can see. 

Some people are naturally more sensitive. Such people are always more intelligent. Sensitive people can develop intelligence, even. 

This is like the g factor of spirituality.

People with low sensitivity need more harsh brute force methods where you train them like sheep or a dog. That's doesn't mean that they are the best methods suit them.

They should look forward to increase their sensitivity to life so that the best methods actually work for them. 

I don't think psychedelics should be the holy grail. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

2 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

I don't think psychedelics should be the holy grail. 

What's the alternative?

Steroids is used in bodybuilding.

Adderall is used in productivity.

We use potent chemicals to cure all diseases.

Doesn't have to be the "holy grail". But it beats the rest by far. 

33 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

What's the alternative?

Steroids is used in bodybuilding.

Adderall is used in productivity.

We use potent chemicals to cure all diseases.

Doesn't have to be the "holy grail". But it beats the rest by far. 

The alternatives are plenty - yoga, meditation, detachment, non duality, Buddhism, Hinduism, energy and vibration, shaktipat, kundalini Kriya and lucid meditation. All explained in detail by Sadhguru. 

I was on cca 4 hours of sleep on a Pranic retreat where we were not eating any physical food but feeding ourselves with pure Pranic energy. We used tools like meditation, visualisation, qui-kong, breathwork to increase the Prana in our systems. I was lucid dreaming as well that week, it was quite a psychedelic experience (no psychedelic medicines were used, but on day 6 I started to feel like I was on acid). It was a beautiful week! ??

Disclaimer: my daily life, my job, my company, my kids, other stressors were not present on the retreat so it was easier to be well rested with so little hours as well.

Generally the less toxines & stress, the more oxygen & healthy habits will help to decrease hours of sleep needed.

I started eating physical food after the retreat again. But I now need cca 6-7 hours. It changed me permanently somehow.

2 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

The alternatives are plenty - yoga, meditation, detachment, non duality, Buddhism, Hinduism, energy and vibration, shaktipat, kundalini Kriya and lucid meditation. All explained in detail by Sadhguru. 

And walking is a good alternative to driving or taking a flight. ?

2 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

jurassic-park-mother-of-god.gif

3 hours ago, Katerina Riverside said:

I was on cca 4 hours of sleep on a Pranic retreat where we were not eating any physical food but feeding ourselves with pure Pranic energy. We used tools like meditation, visualisation, qui-kong, breathwork to increase the Prana in our systems. I was lucid dreaming as well that week, it was quite a psychedelic experience (no psychedelic medicines were used, but on day 6 I started to feel like I was on acid). It was a beautiful week! ??

Disclaimer: my daily life, my job, my company, my kids, other stressors were not present on the retreat so it was easier to be well rested with so little hours as well.

Generally the less toxines & stress, the more oxygen & healthy habits will help to decrease hours of sleep needed.

I started eating physical food after the retreat again. But I now need cca 6-7 hours. It changed me permanently somehow.

Good job. I can see how that would work.

2 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Psychedelics aren't for everyone. You've to be a certain kind of a genetic freak to gain complete mastery over spiritual practices. It's simply not possible for everyone. 

Psychedelics are a hit or miss. Especially for those with specific mental disorders like bipolar, schizophrenia and other mood/instability related disorders as well as personality disorders and brain defects, would be highly vulnerable to the experiment of psychedelics, either inviting benefits or adverse effects depending on the brain's reaction, this varying from person to person, meanwhile some people might report beneficial effects on the scope of their disorder, others might severely regret having tried even minute amounts of psychedelics. 

Psychedelics vary a lot in terms of effect and potency. So meanwhile LSD could be considered safe at lower doses, dmt can be quite potent for most people to consume. Certain brains are more sensitive than others due to many factors, mostly genetic disposition and so any suggestion regarding the use of psychedelics should not be thrown around loosely out of candor. 

The same applies to yoga, meditation and practices like shaktipat. Some people can test the extreme limits of these  practices meanwhile these might not benefit others or even cause adverse effects like certain facets of kundalini are considered too strong, Yoga too has not been fully effective for a lot of people out there. 

Abuse and misuse of spiritual practices including overuse of any method is far too common and sometimes even a bigger menace than the actual beneficial use of spirituality. 

You'll notice that the severe abuse of psychedelics (people getting addicted to tripping and  hallucinogenic compounds) is very common in the psychedelic community. 

There are both benefits and risks with every practice depending on suitability which in turn depends on your genetic profile. 

For genetic freaks, a lot of things are possible. This being the main reason why a lot of people don't even bother to try spiritual methods at all and back out early on. 

@Benton You are right that all those teachers have valid things to teach you.

7 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

Especially for those with specific mental disorders like bipolar, schizophrenia and other mood/instability related disorders as well as personality disorders and brain defects, would be highly vulnerable to the experiment of psychedelics, either inviting benefits or adverse effects depending on the brain's reaction, this varying from person to person, meanwhile some people might report beneficial effects on the scope of their disorder, others might severely regret having tried even minute amounts of psychedelics. 

Are those the only kind of people that psychedelics wouldn't work.

Obviously you need some clearance from the medical side if you want to do anything.

And also stage blue people may have too much dogma that they wouldn't benefit from it. Everyone else should be okay with it, with consent of course. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Obviously you need some clearance from the medical side if you want to do anything.

This is valid. I have several mental health conditions and I only take substances legally. This is a limitation, yes, but I do have access to potent ass substances. I just choose to use them responsibly and not rush into anything impulsively. I respect the hell of out substances and treat them like loaded guns.