NightHawkBuzz

What if I am really passionate about politics but I feel unsure about some victims?

22 posts in this topic

I know I posted something like this recently but this is still an issue of mine and I would like some help on it. I am really passionate about politics and I am considering going into it. However one of the areas that I am still passionate about which is the death penalty in helping victims of crimes I am still not fully sure about.

When it comes to things like mass shootings, terrorist attacks and serial murders I am passionate about getting victims the justice they deserve. However I really only want to help good victims in these situations not the bad victims. I am not saying that a bad victim deserved to have what happened to them.

What I am saying is that in any of these cases if there are for example 10, 20, or 30 victims. Even though I have to come out and say that there were that many victims the only people that I actually want to help get justice are the good people and not the bad ones.

I wouldn't want to help get justice for bad victims who were horrible, bad, awful people hurting others while they were alive. I was considering possibly just still working to help the victims just knowing in my head I am doing it for the good ones and not the bad people.

What do you think I should do if I am passionate about politics and I want to help victims of crimes get justice but only the good victims not the bad ones?

Edited by NightHawkBuzz

Law already tries to separate good victims and bad ones. I do not know if you study law but if you do you must know what kind of rules and strategy they employ to separate good victims from the bad ones.

I think you would get an idea of how it works if you study that and will be able to make similar distinctions of your own regarding different matters. What you asked is a very wide question and the process of separating good victims from the bad victims depends on the matter at hand.

For the death penalty, law already tries to find out the intent but it's obviously far from perfect. You need to really grow yourself and have lots of integrity and hours of contemplation behind your belt before considering to decide people's fates or who is a good or bad victim. Your answer cannot really be summed up in a post. I believe a proper answer would be as long as a book. There's just so much to cover and so much to contemplate.

I am pretty sure there would be books dealing with similar problems. Good luck!

Even bad people don't deserve to get killed if they're not trying to harm someone.  I mean, I suppose there are gray areas (like gang or mafia rivalry hits, where it's a tit-for-tat killing) but is that what you're talking about?

@universe @SeaMonster

On 7/18/2023 at 4:06 AM, NightHawkBuzz said:

I would consider bad victims as jerks, assholes or bullies who were hurting and mistreating other people while they were here. 

The first video below This is an example of what I mean the Parkland shooter Nickolas Cruz killed 17 people and injured 17 others. 

Now if I were to go into politics I would feel very passionate about getting justice for the victims. 

However I feel like I would only become successful in my life getting justice for the good victims and not the bad ones. 

I would feel like a sucker being so passionate and helping some of the victims get justice who didn't really deserve it. 

The second video below is Ron Desantis changing the death penalty laws because the Parkland families felt they didn't get the justice they deserved for their family members. 

I would be really interested and passionate about doing something like this however I feel like I would only become successful in my life and find it meaningful to help the good victims get justice not the bad ones. 

I want to clarify to I am not saying a bad victim deserved to have what happened to them. I am just saying I would only find it deeply meaningful and passionate to help the good ones get justice. 

Edited by NightHawkBuzz

That's what state and federal prosecutors do: they pursue criminals. Or the FBI.

You're basically talking about law enforcement.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura

Your right I am specifically talking about law enforcement in this case but I was attempting to refer to it specifically in my case when I am considering going into politics. 

I think I should have expanded on what I meant about this for my life in this post. 

What I was trying to say is that in politics there are many different fields I am fully interested in going into. I think politics is the field that I want to pursue and I am 95 % sure that is the career I want to have. I have researched and found 35 different areas of politics that I find meaningful and am passionate about.

However, the 36th area was on this area specifically  that I brought up in my post which was on the death penalty and that is how politicians help victims of crimes get justice sometimes. 

This seems to be the only area hesitating me from fully going into politics because in my mind when I think about the victims of any situation even though I would like to help all of them I can't help but separating them into "good victims" and "bad victims". In my mind I feel like I might only find it meaningful and be passionate about helping the people you would consider to be good. 

This is why I was gave the example of the Parkland Shooter who killed 17 people. Ron Desantis was extremely passionate about changing the death penalty laws in Florida because they felt like the killer didn't receive the justice he deserved. 

I looked at a situation like this and thought about if I were in Ron Desantis position being a politician. I would find it meaningful and I would be passionate about changing the laws to make sure the next victims get the justice they deserve. However what if while trying to help victims I would consider good people I am also having to help people who don't really deserve it at the same time and they could also be considered bad people. 

So what if as a politician some of the victims that I am fighting to get justice for are people who don't really deserve it or who aren't good people. What I am trying to say is that as a politician they fight to get justice for victims which I absolutely want to do however there's also another side which is getting justice for victims you could consider to be "bad people" and not "good people". 

It would seem as a politician if I were to have to fight for all victims some of my passion and energy would be going to the wrong people then. Like for example in the Parkland shooter situation what if out of those 17 people some of them would be considered "bad people" when they were here. 

Like I said I feel like politics really is my passion and there are 35 other different areas I feel fully confident about in politics. That is why I would like to get some advice on this issue specifically because I am wondering how I can stop viewing victims as "good" and "bad" and be able to attempt to get justice for them all?

Edited by NightHawkBuzz

10 hours ago, NightHawkBuzz said:

I would consider bad victims as jerks, assholes or bullies who were hurting and mistreating other people while they were here.

”Good” people can act like that behind closed doors, though.

The thought is that if the concern is with the perp paying for the crime, death doesn't work. It is an easy way out of hard time.

The thought is that blame and judgement is unnecessary on some level because murderer is a product of its environment. However, consequence is necessary for a peaceful society.

That's a sticky mess. I admire your determination.

Sailing on the ceiling 

@Leo Gura

Can you please share your thoughts on my response to your comment? I feel this is a very tricky situation and I would like to hear your opinion. 

Like for example if there are 17 victims or even 3,000 victims how am I suppose to know the victims who actually deserve to be helped? I think the issue might simply be to focus less on the idea of helping bad victims but for some reason that part of my brain can't stop thinking that way.

It seems like my energy and attention might be going to the wrong people since I don't know the victims and can't separate them into "good" and "bad" people. 

I have met some real jerks and bullies in my life and even though people like that still don't deserve to be victims. I would hate for one of them to be a victim in a situation and I have to attempt to get justice for them as well. Those are the people I would put in the category as "bad victims" and I wouldn't feel successful helping them as I would "good victims". 

Edited by NightHawkBuzz

Does anybody have any advice they can give me on this issue still? 

I feel like politics is my purpose in life but this issue of helping "bad victims" is the only thing that's holding me back. I would like to get some clarity on it so I can figure out if politics is something I should fully pursue or not. 

good simply means people who behave like me

this can be very easily ascertained in a questionnaire 

to tip the scales in this way is called self bias and is a brute force moulding of the world into clones of me

so instead of fixing me i will just fix everyone else

will be the utterly perfect world right?

or maybe i should rethink this

karma.jpg

Edited by gettoefl

@NightHawkBuzz You have a very childish idea of how politics works, and of good vs bad people. In politics you are always making compromises and choosing between the lesser of two evils. That's what democracy entails.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 23/07/2023 at 5:22 AM, NightHawkBuzz said:

The law doesn't separate victims like that. You could be an asshole to your coworkers your whole life. Then one day go to a gas station and get shot during a robbery. The law would enforce the same regulations on the gun man as if you would have been nice your whole life.

It's not so much about the victims but more on the offenders.

You want to have clear boundaries on what is allowed and what is not.

Distinctions between good and bad victims blurs that line and people will be confused.

The fairness is in what is allowed and what is not. And that everyone is included in this.

Of course that is not always what's happening.

If you come into law enforcement bringing in your own biases you will make it more unfair.

If you want fairness you have to be as neutral as possible.

@universe 

I agree in what you said it is more about the victims and not the offenders. You do want to have clear boundaries on what is allowed and not.

However in the example that you gave if someone was an asshole to their coworkers for their whole life even though it is about the offender and not the victim if someone was to act this way their whole life wouldn't it still almost be like you were defending a bad person.

I totally get what you are saying and I agree just for some reason it still feels to me like if you were to enforce the law to people you consider bad you are somehow helping the wrong person.

Edited by NightHawkBuzz

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@NightHawkBuzz You have a very childish idea of how politics works, and of good vs bad people. In politics you are always making compromises and choosing between the lesser of two evils. That's what democracy entails.

@Leo Gura Well I think age might play a factor into this I'm only 23 so that might be because my brain hasn't reached full maturity. I know you can reach maturity in other ways but I do think that age might play a factor into this.

I read on a google search that you don't reach full maturity until you become 25 years old. Some experts even have it being older than that saying you don't become fully mature until you reach your 30's and 40's. 

You did explain the right way to look at this which is what I want to know how to do . I want to be able to look at politics in the right way and look at good vs bad people in the correct way. I want to be able to work in politics correctly and have the right mindset. 

Edited by NightHawkBuzz