StarStruck

Is 10k rule bullshit ?

11 posts in this topic

I know people who play chess for 8-10 years and they still have the same rating. And this is a guy who plays everyday because he has a boring job so he has the time to play it. 

More and more I’m understanding that 10k rule is bullshit. Time you put into something is a factor but it is one of the least important factors. Mastery, deliberate practice, and systematic learning is fundamental. 

For example I got into boxing a half year ago and I’m already a better boxer than most people there. Same with chess, dancing and other things I’m practicing.  It is just that coaching will only bring you so far. A coach can’t do the learning for you. Only make a program for you. And although I follow the same boxing program as other I’m making leaps because I know how the brain-body works. One has to be in alpha brain waves to learn. There are special meditation techniques that get you there. And that combined with visualization exercises and self knowledge (self reflection) is killing. 

For me coaching is overrated too. Although I had good coaches (my current boxing coach for example is an olympic medalist) and therapists, they are just not up to date with the latest mind-body science. They are basically applying the 10 k rule and hope for the best but as I said there are people who throw years and years at a skill like that guy I was talking about who plays chess everyday and his rating has been the same. 

I tapped into all kinds of teachings but Joe Dispenza’s stuff is insane. I’m surprised it is not on Leo’s book list. Instead he has some esoteric books on there that he doesn’t even believe in himself. 

10,000 hrs rule means 10,000 hrs of deliberate practice, not 10,000 hrs of punching in a clock.

You also have to take into account that people have widely different strengths and talents. Which is like a 5x multiplier on your hrs.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I spent around 50 hours learning how to trade (since February), now I'm consistently profitable and will quit my job in September (have a long holiday planned in between). I'm not a "master" trader, but if I can replace my normal 9-5 income by trading 2 days a month, do I care about labels? 

That's how my swimming coach is also,put in the time and hope you will be a great swimmer if you have natural talent,just like you with years im getting better than anyone in a club(because i swim with my own intention and stuff i work on), but then on a swimming meet there are coaches that explain stuff all the time and their swimmers are way faster than me.So with my contemplation if Micheal Phelps with all talent in the world didnt have one of the best coaches in the world he wouldnt be as good.There must be great leadership coupled with your own thinking to get great.This group programs are bs made for the masses you wont ever get really good with it, if you dont have a true coach who just shows you the way 1on1 and everything is layed down perfectly for you and then you use that to be best you then there is a chance you will be great then theres is a big IF....

Coach cant make you great,but great coach will give you a bigger chance to be great, but without great coach you must coach yourself, i cant see myself in 3rd person and dont have decedes of knowledge and experience to do it by myself...

I have a chess coach who's little bit better than me,but with chess you can mostly coach yourself with material and courses, but still need guidence to be titled player and way more than 10k hours to become master mybe 50k ? if not talented started from young age...

Edited by NoSelfSelf

There is nothing safe with playing it safe.

Just to note, I received quite a few DMs asking about trading... I'm not a shill for Jayson Casper, he has lots of free videos on youtube, a Discord and a couple of (cheap I believe) trading courses... But there are lots of free resources for trading basics... Once I had an idea, I started following Jayson to become profitable. Doesn't look like your typical trader :), believes in Jesus, and grows his own crops and chickens

vR6SR77vxX8lh3SH?format=jpg&name=large

10,000 hour rule worked for me. it works.  all the elites giants in their respective field say that 10,000 hour rule work and is true

37 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

That's how my swimming coach is also,put in the time and hope you will be a great swimmer if you have natural talent,just like you with years im getting better than anyone in a club(because i swim with my own intention and stuff i work on), but then on a swimming meet there are coaches that explain stuff all the time and their swimmers are way faster than me.So with my contemplation if Micheal Phelps with all talent in the world didnt have one of the best coaches in the world he wouldnt be as good.There must be great leadership coupled with your own thinking to get great.This group programs are bs made for the masses you wont ever get really good with it, if you dont have a true coach who just shows you the way 1on1 and everything is layed down perfectly for you and then you use that to be best you then there is a chance you will be great then theres is a big IF....

Coach cant make you great,but great coach will give you a bigger chance to be great, but without great coach you must coach yourself, i cant see myself in 3rd person and dont have decedes of knowledge and experience to do it by myself...

I have a chess coach who's little bit better than me,but with chess you can mostly coach yourself with material and courses, but still need guidence to be titled player and way more than 10k hours to become master mybe 50k ? if not talented started from young age...

Finding a great coach is very difficult. A lot of charlatans out there. The best coaches are free but it is difficult to find. It must be somebody who walked a similar path and had the same struggles as you. Otherwise there won’t be a fit between student and coach.

Talent is overrated. There is so much talent in the world but they have no discipline and right guidance and the talent fades away without being actualized. Talent is both a blessing and a curse depending on how you go about it. 

I have given up on finding a coach because my past is very different and I can’t find a good fit. I understood I have to be my own savior. And although I have coaches (not 1 on 1) and still do my own thing. Only when I started doing my own thing, coaching myself and being my own therapists I started solving my problems. One of them being my addictions which is a huge relief. 

Edited by StarStruck

@StarStruck Coaches that worth something are either so busy ,or they coach only great talents so you cant get to them easily,you need to pass the test to even be coached by them.

Talent is needed if you want to be on top in sports if we take that for example, for many things talent is not needed many other factors needed...sports is special in that regard.But ofcourse without talent you can come on top(you have talent in being so mentaly strong for example) so i hate when that is used as an excuse...

Being your own coach is best,i noticed best coaches coach you how to coach yourself,so if they want you to do what they doing only,they not that good...

Edited by NoSelfSelf

There is nothing safe with playing it safe.

Good teacher plus time is enough to achieve anything. A TEACHER, not a generic coach, but someone with knowledge and lots of experience in the domain, so when a specific problem comes up, you can ask them for info faster than you would be able to find it yourself, also they can show you pitfalls of your approach. They can be wrong sometimes, that's for you to balance.

Everyone has different predispositions to how fast they learn certain subjects.

It's always your decision in the end whether you want something badly enough to put in the required effort.

Effort. Yes, some people stop putting in the effort and stop making progress.

Edited by Girzo

Haha, 

The 10k rule would not be for my students benefit, it would be for my benefit. So that they will STFU and do the damn work, lol!!! maybe that is not how it is intended but that is damn sure how I would use it. 

There are levels above Mastery, so the 10k rule is rather arbitrary but sound enough to work.

Even Magnus Carlson has coaches. GOATS have blind spots too... They also need someone to help them from unconsciously sliding off of their peak.

And that is all I got to say about that...

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches.