Someone here

My definition of enlightenment

79 posts in this topic

I don't resonate with what Leo calls "God realization " or "absolute solipsism "etc . I don't know what is he talking about. 

To me ..enlightenment is not that you get to know something.  Its the realization that you know absolutely nothing. .completely .and to be OK with that and not finding it troublesome . To be at peace with not knowing.  You barely know 1% of all there is to know . I'm only saying this to not be extreme .the truth is you literally do not know anything. Period  

Also enlightenment is the realization that everything is OK .everything is alright. No matter what happens .it's all gonna be good at the end .as the saying goes "everything will be okay at the end .If it's not okay ..then it's not the end ".

Enlightenment is realizing everything Is you . Not to be confused with solipsism. But all other people in the essence are essentially you . But they have consciousness just like you . 

Enlightenment is realizing everything is inevitable. Each atom In the cosmos follows the laws of physics. Everything is preordained from the beginning-less  beginning. 

Enlightenment is realizing that you don't need anything. You lack nothing.  you are perfect and complete just the way you are .

And finally...Enlightenment is realizing you are the creator of reality. You created this universe. Nobody else .and there is nothing to do but just to relax and enjoy the ride knowing that all is well .

Edited by Someone here

my mind is gone to a better place.  I'm elevated ..going out of space . And I'm gone .

10 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I don't resonate with what Leo calls "God realization " or "absolute solipsism "etc . I don't know what is he talking about. 

To me ..enlightenment is not that you get to know something.  Its the realization that you no absolutely nothing. .completely .and to be OK with that and not finding it troublesome . To be at peace with not knowing.  You barely know 1% of all there is to know . I'm only saying this to not be extreme .the truth is you literally do not know anything. Period  

Also enlightenment is the realization that everything is OK .everything is alright. No matter what happens .it's all gonna be good at the end .as the saying goes "everything will be okay at the end .If it's not okay ..then it's not the end ".

Enlightenment is realizing everything Is you . Not to be confused with solipsism. But all other people in the essence are essentially you . But they have consciousness just like you . 

Enlightenment is realizing everything is inevitable. Each atom In the cosmos follows the laws of physics. Everything is preordained from the beginning-less  beginning. 

Enlightenment is realizing that you don't need anything. You lack nothing.  you are perfect and complete just the way you are .

And finally...Enlightenment is realizing you are the creator of reality. You created this universe. Nobody else .and there is nothing to do but just to relax and enjoy the ride knowing that all is well .

Are you enlightened?

6 minutes ago, Israfil said:

Are you enlightened?

To some degree. I'm conscious of pretty amazing stuff . But I still haven't achieved full on Buddhahood nirvanic bliss 24/7.

my mind is gone to a better place.  I'm elevated ..going out of space . And I'm gone .

Awakening is something real, It is the breaking of the limits, becoming infinite. the finite is an illusion, reality is infinite. It is not anything you can imagine or think about, it must happen, it is an opening that has to happen. It is something more real than anything else.

It's like saying: have you ever had an orgasm? Well, I don't know, once someone touched my dick a bit and I would say yes... no. if it happens, it happens. but that doesn't mean anything, then it closes, you forget it, and you're still in the same shit. but you have taken a step! You know what the direction is, where to orient yourself. After you get more open day by day, if that is your real will. 

3 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

Awakening is something real

Didn't say otherwise :).

4 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

the finite is an illusion, reality is infinite.

There are no "Illusions " .the word itself refers to something that doesn't exist . Everything is real .even a dream or a drug-induced  hallucination is real . If reality appears to be finite .then it's finite .if reality appears to be infinite ..then it's infinite .

6 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

. if it happens, it happens. but that doesn't mean anything, then it closes, you forget it, and you're still in the same shit. but you have taken a step! You know what the direction is, where to orient yourself. After you get more open day by day, if that is your real will. 

There is nothing that needs to happen .forgetting a glimpse that you had in the past is a necessary part of infinity . Its like not appreciating the black color in the Mona Lisa's hair..without realizing that every little detail is necessary ?. 

Enlightenment is higher consciousness, infinity, realizing you're God, realizing everything is whole in space and time, Enlightenment is realizing that your spirit is a vehicle of ever present ever expanding infinite  consciousness that will tirelessly continue till eternity, samsara and enlightenment is reaching equilibrium through love and realizing that all of consciousness and infinity originates ultimately in the highest purest form of love, the fountain of infinite love and consciousness that is eternally in motion through time, with no beginning no end. 

Also it's escaping this finite matrix of life bounded by human illusions and experiencing God consciousness. 

I've nothing more to say. 

Your definition of enlightenment is not profound or is limited to human spectrum and quite advaita mish-mash misleading. You aren't quite there yet and judging by the nature of the post you haven't put sufficient hours into contemplation or have contemplated in a fast tracked manner using wrong foundations. 

Be clear, be open, do some more contemplating and explore your mind, do a ton of self inquiry and then reflect on the nature of things and you'll see meaning in Leo's profoundness. 

Right now you're an empty cymbal, clamouring but not tuning to the right beat. You need some hard work. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

@Enlightement OK thanks for your opinion. i will contemplate more.

12 hours ago, Someone here said:

To me ..enlightenment is not that you get to know something.  Its the realization that you know absolutely nothing. .completely .and to be OK with that and not finding it troublesome . To be at peace with not knowing.  You barely know 1% of all there is to know . I'm only saying this to not be extreme .the truth is you literally do not know anything. Period  

There is wisdom in your post.

Maybe you like this here from Francis Lucille:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk0LxK9L9p8&t=62s

"The purpose of life is very simple: Its happiness."

And the constant version of that comes with Enlightenment, or realizing what one really is.

And more of Francis Lucille on Happiness and Enlightenment:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Francis+Lucille+Happiness+

And anyone saying they prefer "Understandings" in/of the Infinity of Manifestations of Infinite Consciousness (and not the truly Infinite Absolute Reality), or any kind of (sublime) experience, or whatever, over this happiness of Ones True Infinite Being.... I don't buy that. That mindset is not the end of the road. Suffering will break that mindset at some point, by definition.

Every being strives for the happiness of permanently resting and living out of their True Nature. Temporarily gaining happiness over experiences that remove the self-contraction (temporarily) is just more of the game of separation & suffering &relieve over beautiful experiences & suffering again cycle. 

Bon voyage!

Selling Water by the River

15 hours ago, Someone here said:

You missed the most important part.   Enlightenment is realizing you are not an entity behind the eyes - you're not even the soul.   All of that is an illusion.   When you realize this - you become the God Mind  You become it.   This isn't concept- it is Being.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

The question is difficult to answer because Enlightenment is a word and for several people means different things.

There are states of consciousness though, that make you question your whole existence, physical reality, other persons, death, space,...etc.

So for me, the work is going over and over to those states, designing a life and a method to stay there more and more and more, to the point is no longer a memory but it can start to become a living thing. 

Then, I don't know if enlightenment will happen or not, but maybe a radical different way of living it's possible. Because if anything true I gotten out of those states it's that I would sell all my achievements to be in that place more time...it's better than anything, it's pure release, pure love, pure light...people downplay seeking because of pleasurable states but for me that's the whole point of the DESIGN. Illusion sucks and produces suffering, and the more one explores certain territories, it starts to become more beautiful and beautiful, and less suffering...so maybe that IS the "breadcrumb" so to speak, that is God saying "This way, it's this way motherfucker...". So I find concerning that people want to demonize seeking higher and higher good feeling-less suffering states...Its literally how it's supposed to be, to motivate you to go to Truth dummy...

Edited by Javfly33

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

9 hours ago, Water by the River said:

The purpose of life is very simple: Its happiness."

Agreed.  But it can get tricky .because people will hear that and then think that "happiness " is snorting Cocaine from a hooker's tits  .happiness is our natural state. Not found in exciting experiences. Although there is nothing wrong with having fun. But pleasure is simply different from happiness. 

7 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

You missed the most important part.   Enlightenment is realizing you are not an entity behind the eyes - you're not even the soul.   All of that is an illusion.   When you realize this - you become the God Mind  You become it.   This isn't concept- it is Being.

Yes it's the typical no self realisation. I realized that the people here and especially Leo are kinda shiting on this aspect of enlightenment because its not "the highest ". And I agree .there is a lot more to become conscious of than merely to recognize there is no separate self and duality is illusory . But honestly I can't speak about God realization or omniscience etc because honestly I have zero experience of them .so that is why I said In OP it's not resonating with me instead of calling it downright bullshit. 

2 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

The question is difficult to answer because Enlightenment is a word and for several people means different things.

There are states of consciousness though, that make you question your whole existence, physical reality, other persons, death, space,...etc.

So for me, the work is going over and over to those states, designing a life and a method to stay there more and more and more, to the point is no longer a memory but it can start to become a living thing. 

Then, I don't know if enlightenment will happen or not, but maybe a radical different way of living it's possible. Because if anything true I gotten out of those states it's that I would sell all my achievements to be in that place more time...it's better than anything, it's pure release, pure love, pure light...people downplay seeking because of pleasurable states but for me that's the whole point of the DESIGN. Illusion sucks and produces suffering, and the more one explores certain territories, it starts to become more beautiful and beautiful, and less suffering...so maybe that IS the "breadcrumb" so to speak, that is God saying "This way, it's this way motherfucker...". So I find concerning that people want to demonize seeking higher and higher good feeling-less suffering states...Its literally how it's supposed to be, to motivate you to go to Truth dummy...

Do you think "Truth "points to the same thing as "Happiness "?

My definition of enlightenment is to abide in isness, or to clearly see that isn'tness is just isness in disguise, pretending to be something it isn't :D

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

My definition of enlightenment is to abide in isness, or to see that isn'tness is just isness in disguise, pretending to be something it isn't :D

Lol You listen to too much Mooji and Rupert Spira :P.

It isn’t a state to aspire to. It is a moment of revelation: “Be still and know that I am God.” You make it another thing to achieve. Or to abide. There’s nothing to achieve. You are life.. I am life.. s/he is life… Life is. God is. Who is the one who desires to become something.. as though he is separate from what is/life?

24 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Agreed.  But it can get tricky .because people will hear that and then think that "happiness " is snorting Cocaine from a hooker's tits  .happiness is our natural state. Not found in exciting experiences. Although there is nothing wrong with having fun. But pleasure is simply different from happiness. 

Yes. Lasting Happiness = Resting in Ones True Nature = Full Impersonal Enlightenment into Infinite Consciosness/Nothingness/Reality (pointers I like), or what Inliytened1 is pointing to below. 

8 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

The alternative is the merry go round of chasing experiences/states for the relief of the suffering the separate self-identity/contraction causes. Francis Lucille videos linked above are along these topics.

Water by the River

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Do you think "Truth "points to the same thing as "Happiness "?

Yes, It seems so. the core of who we are is happiness, love and freedom. if you think about it, it doesn't seem like it, since life is not a smooth place, and in many cases it gets really ugly. with the logical mind, the conclusions are negative, very depressing. the mind has to do an exercise in self-deception in order not to see how horrible life is from the angle of logic

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

Lol You listen to too much Mooji and Rupert Spira :P.

It isn’t a state to aspire to. It is a moment of revelation: “Be still and know that I am God.” You make it another thing to achieve. Or to abide. There’s nothing to achieve. You are life.. I am life.. s/he is life… Life is. God is. Who is the one who desires to become something.. as though he is separate from what is/life?

These are the people who use the word "enlightenment" in the first place, so I'll naturally use something that is in alignment with their definition of it. Leo seems to have drifted away from that crowd a lot, even to the point where he is no longer interested in the concept of abiding in an elevated baseline state. So to re-iterate, my definition of enlightenment is when you abide in a state of non-duality; non-duality as a baseline state.

It's a "baseline state" and not a "permanent state", because there will always be fluctuations in your state, e.g. due to something as mundane as blood sugar levels, or various egoic challenges. It's also any "form" of non-duality, as long as you're abiding in it. You can of course divide the realization of non-duality into different levels, or you can add highly expansive God states in the mix and make it all very complicated, but if you're abiding in something that you would describe as non-duality, I would call that enlightenment.

There is a reason why Leo says "God-realization", or "Absolute Solipsism". It's because the word "enlightenment" doesn't really vibe with him anymore, and it makes sense, because he seems to be talking about something else.

EDIT:

I could also add some nuance to the definition based on my own experiences, as I'm someone who in the last 3-4 years has had countless run-ins with non-dual states, only to be interrupted by my terrorizing fear of them and not being able to let go into them. In fact, it feels like it's actually more natural for me to have non-duality as my baseline state, but I'm consciously resisting it with every inch of my will. And for this very reason, I would not call myself enlightened despite being strongly inclined (forced) to have it as a baseline state, because there is some type of resistance that is keeping me away from it.

What is maybe special for me is that I'm largely conscious of the resistance. If I get into a non-dual state, I know exactly how to contract myself back into a more normal state, and it hurts, physically and mentally (I use both physical and mental means). Then over time, when I let the controlled contraction run for too long (days, weeks), I get used to it, and I start experiencing it as automatized. Then eventually, I become largely unconscious of it, and I have to consciously engage in controlled "uncontraction" or quick meditative techniques for it to relax again (or it may relax spontaneously in some special circumstances).

For most people, the resistance is largely unconscious, and they're unaware of how they're creating it, and they're often unwilling or unable to use the right techniques that make them more aware of it (e.g. meditation). The more I become aware of the fact that I am willfully creating my own resistance, the more see it as a fiction, and then it starts slipping away like sand between my fingers. I rarely get to that point nowadays, but it's a frightening experience when all your coping mechanisms are taken away from you and you just have to pray to God for mercy.

So for the definition, the added nuance would be the amount of resistance you have to most importantly the non-dual state itself and of course life in general. So to me, enlightenment is when you have non-duality as a baseline state with no resistance to the state itself and minimal resistance to various life challenges that can pull you out of that state. Now, you could technically say that the resistance that is making me afraid of the non-dual state and making me choose to engage in "conscious resistance", fundamentally boils down to a type of life challenge (and an unconscious contraction that can be dissolved by living life), which makes them effectively the same thing, but for me they're experienced quite differently (one I feel I can control, the other I cannot), so I think the distinction is useful.

EDIT2:

I just came up with a cool book title: "the boy who didn't want to become enlightened - the experiences of a young man who woke up too soon". I actually think that could be a cool book I could write: pretty niche, sort of original (I know of only one person who has written about the same thing), could be helpful to some people. I could also give my "religion > spirituality" spiel (about how hyper-individualistic spirituality exacerbates these kinds of problems and that we need better social safety nets for people who get into spirituality).

Edited by Carl-Richard

7 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

These are the people who use the word "enlightenment" in the first place, so I'll naturally use something that is in alignment with their definition of it. Leo seems to have drifted away from that crowd a lot, even to the point where he is no longer interested in the concept of abiding in an elevated baseline state. So to re-iterate, my definition of enlightenment is when you abide in a state of non-duality; non-duality as a baseline state.

Yes .also people like Jim Newman..Tony Parsons..Bentinho Massaro etc .

They all use the word "enlightenment ". Leo is the only spiritual teacher I'm aware of who calls it "God realization ".

You can't abide in a nondual state forever .simply because reality doesn't know stillness .it's constantly changing. So enlightenment is realizing there is no need for literally anything.  Abiding or otherwise. 

It's a "baseline state" and not a "permanent state", because there will always be fluctuations in your state, e.g. due to something as mundane as blood sugar levels, or various egoic challenges. It's also any "form" of non-duality, as long as you're abiding in it. You can of course divide the realization of non-duality into different levels, or you can add highly expansive God states in the mix and make it all very complicated, but if you're abiding in something that you would describe as non-duality, I would call that enlightenment.

You can’t sustain a state. You can’t sustain any state..because it is the nature of states that they come and go. They emerge..and they pass.

You are a human   aren’t you? Do you have to sustain the state of being a human? Probably not,..because being human is not a state ..it is what you are.

When you become non-duality then you will no longer have to sustain it..any more than you have to sustain your humanity now. Non-duality will not be a state.. it will be what you are.

There is a reason why Leo says "God-realization", or "Absolute Solipsism". It's because the word "enlightenment" doesn't really vibe with him anymore, and it makes sense, because he seems to be talking about something else

Yes I honestly think he is delusional. All these definition and different facets of awakening...I think he is getting so obsessed with figuring the shit out of reality .which is basically impossible. Reality will forever remain unknowable. 

I could also add some nuance to the definition based on my own experiences, as I'm someone who in the last 3-4 years has had countless run-ins with non-dual states, only to be interrupted by my terrorizing fear of them and not being able to let go into them. In fact, it feels like it's actually more natural for me to have non-duality as my baseline state, but I'm consciously resisting it with every inch of my will. And for this very reason, I would not call myself enlightened despite being strongly inclined (forced) to have it as a baseline state, because there is some type of resistance that is keeping me away from it .

Most fears to question your enlightenment is bs…. Because questioning it means all ones cultural background ..beliefs .  respect ..hope including goal of permanence is challenged.

I would say ..when one “gets it” that impermanence is the security of beingness..he is not this identity he thinks himself to be … He is only bounded by the mind and the idea of enlightenment  gets the whole.

no desire  ..no hope .. no grief ..no pain follows that one.

What is maybe special for me is that I'm largely conscious of the resistance. If I get into a non-dual state, I know exactly how to contract myself back into a more normal state, and it hurts, physically and mentally (I use both physical and mental means). Then over time, when I let the controlled contraction run for too long (days, weeks), I get used to it, and I start experiencing it as automatized. Then eventually, I become largely unconscious of it, and I have to consciously engage in controlled "uncontraction" or quick meditative techniques for it to relax again (or it may relax spontaneously in some special circumstances

Interesting  .You’re playing a cool role in a movie but it’s not going the way you like it. So you start to push the envelope and see if you can change how the movie is playing out.

You can’t.

So get you pissed off and start to inquire what the Truth is.

Then  through no cause or result of anything “you do” (because you d.on’t exist and there is no do-er)  enlightenment happens through you and there it is.

For most people, the resistance is largely unconscious, and they're unaware of how they're creating it, and they're often unwilling or unable to use the right techniques that make them more aware of it (e.g. meditation). The more I become aware of the fact that I am willfully creating my own resistance, the more see it as a fiction, and then it starts slipping away like sand between my fingers. I rarely get to that point nowadays, but it's a frightening experience when all your coping mechanisms are taken away

Non-duality does not need to be sustained…it is always the case.

You are always alone…for there is no other. There is only the Self.

All is always well.??

So for the definition, the added nuance would be the amount of resistance you have to most importantly the non-dual state itself and of course life in general. So to me, enlightenment is when you have non-duality as a baseline state with no resistance to the state itself and minimal resistance to various life challenges that can pull you out of that state. Now, you could technically say that the resistance that is making me afraid of the non-dual state and making me choose to engage in "conscious resistance", fundamentally boils down to a type of life challenge (and an unconscious contraction that can be dissolved by living life), which makes them effectively the same thing, but for me they're experienced quite differently (one I feel I can control, the other I cannot), so I think the distinction is useful

you caused it to yourself. it is your duty to lay your ego aside..and face the problems  in order to grow as a human being (which can be consiered clearing karma).

I just came up with a cool book title: "the boy who didn't want to become enlightened - the experiences of a young man who woke up too soon". I actually think that could be a cool book I could write: pretty niche, sort of original (I know of only one person who has written about the same thing), could be helpful to some people. I could also give my "religion > spirituality" spiel (about how hyper-individualistic spirituality exacerbates these kinds of problems and that we need better social safety nets for people who get into spirituality).

Idk what you talking about lol

@Someone here have you noticed that you said that we know less than 1% (which is very true, if not much less:) but at the same time it seems that all we know about enlightement is in that 1%?. 

11 minutes ago, Kuba Powiertowski said:

@Someone here have you noticed that you said that we know less than 1% (which is very true, if not much less:) but at the same time it seems that all we know about enlightement is in that 1%?. 

Yeah it's paradoxical lol. Im saying we know that we don't know . I think it's Socrates who said "the only thing I know is that I know nothing ".

It's exhilarating to understand that there are unlimited new things and places to explore.. new concepts to ponder without end and multitude ways of developing ourselves.

ignorance is bliss.?

16 hours ago, Someone here said:

Yes .also people like Jim Newman..Tony Parsons..Bentinho Massaro etc .

They all use the word "enlightenment ". Leo is the only spiritual teacher I'm aware of who calls it "God realization ".

There are other teachers who use the word "God consciousness", and it's treated as a transitory stage between lower levels of non-dual realization to more complete levels. They think Leo is just stuck in a loop jumping in and out of God consciousness with 5-MeO. But I think 5-MeO could be qualitatively different and lead to different outcomes than sober God consciousness (although the concept of reactivations could question this idea).

You can't abide in a nondual state forever .simply because reality doesn't know stillness .it's constantly changing. So enlightenment is realizing there is no need for literally anything.  Abiding or otherwise.

Yet there is a difference between abiding in it 90% of the time and 1% of the time. The first one we can refer to as having it as a baseline, the second one we can refer to as experiencing it as a transient state.

You can’t sustain a state. You can’t sustain any state..because it is the nature of states that they come and go. They emerge..and they pass.

You are a human   aren’t you? Do you have to sustain the state of being a human? Probably not,..because being human is not a state ..it is what you are.

When you become non-duality then you will no longer have to sustain it..any more than you have to sustain your humanity now. Non-duality will not be a state.. it will be what you are.

I've been in non-human states where I had no body, no thoughts, no space, no time. Human is not what I am fundamentally. Fundamentally, I am consciousness. But is consciousness then not a state? It's tricky, because consciousness is simultaneously constant while also cloaking itself in various fleeting states. Consciousness is the stateless container of states.

Idk what you talking about lol

I've argued many times that there are many problems with the type of spirituality that most people are familiar with in the West today, and that several core aspects of religion address these problems quite effectively. I don't think people really dislike religion as a concept, but they see the various examples of historical corruption and survival-based incentives that co-opt religion into something ugly, and they attribute that to religion as a whole.

I believe that I was irresponsible with how I practiced meditation during an immature phase of my life, and that this could've been avoided if I would've had people around me that knew what spirituality even is and could provide guidance and wisdom. Preferably, everybody should have access to a teacher in their local community (a "priest") that your family can refer you to if you're considering the spiritual path. These priests should be well-versed in a deep and rich tradition of knowledge and practices for engaging in the spiritual process safely. You can already get some of these benefits by actually joining a religious community or enrolling in a monastery, but again, most people in the West are not aware of why that might be a wise thing to do, which is what I would like to see change.

Edited by Carl-Richard