Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Recursoinominado

Not all progressives are spoiled, Leo is wrong.

12 posts in this topic

Leo has said time and time again that progressives are spoiled and conservatives were raised in tough conditions (in a nutshell).

There is SOME truth to this but it cannot be a rule.MAYBE this is a narrow US politics view, i don't really know how it is in the US.

I can speak about Brazil's politics.

Here, most of the spoiled rich kids are actually conservatives, not progressives and the progressives are actually lower middle class.

Not ALL middle class people are progressive, but the progressives usually aren't the ones with a nice and confortable life.

What make one a progressive isn't lack of experience with the dark side of the world but exactly the opposite.

Progressives are pro-minorities just because they are very aware of their struggles.

In fact, many progressives were once conservatives since we are usually born into a culture that embraces right-wing capitalist ideology (most countries, at least).

That was even my situation. I was born and raised in lower middle class with a fucked up family, tough situation full of violence and abuse.

Grew very angry and egocentric with a lot of conservative takes, i was seduced by "The Red Pill" community, the "PUA" community", used to watch endless videos about "conservatives owning the libs" but due to my own human development i started to see other points of view and empathize with it like womens/feminism point of view.

Progressives aren't born from naiveté, they are born from consciousness expansion.

There are several types of stressors that can influence political ideals in different ways.

The devil is in the details.

15 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

There are several types of stressors that can influence political ideals in different ways.

Of course.

1 hour ago, Recursoinominado said:

Grew very angry and egocentric with a lot of conservative takes, i was seduced by "The Red Pill" community, the "PUA" community", used to watch endless videos about "conservatives owning the libs" but due to my own human development i started to see other points of view and empathize with it like womens/feminism point of view.

This is the journey of most young men in Brazil nowadays, myself included. 

I recommend Platinho's YouTube channel. He embodies this transition very well.

53 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

Of course.

I'm basically a "strongly" right-wing person in one of the most "strongly left-wing" letter schools in my country.

It may just be a bias, but I couldn't help but notice how leftist people I know are prone to depression and panic-like anxiety.
And on the contrary the proportion to a kind of aggressive hypomania see psychosis in my friends more to the right.

I could say more but it's a pretty amazing recurrence, I don't know why.

Edited by Schizophonia

The devil is in the details.

10 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

I'm basically a "strongly" right-wing person in one of the most "strongly left-wing" letter schools in my country.

It may just be a bias, but I couldn't help but notice how leftist people I know are prone to depression and panic-like anxiety.
And on the contrary the proportion to a kind of aggressive hypomania see psychosis in my friends more to the right.

I could say more but it's a pretty amazing recurrence, I don't know why.

I guess the closeness to societal, economic, and environmental issues that left-wingers tend to have, makes them more anxious in general. Women and lgbt people walk around with a constant fear of men.

Right-wingers tend to have the "grindset" mentality which leads them deeper down the hipomaniac route. 

That's my hypothesis. I heavily agree with the tendencies you pointed out. 

It makes more sense for conservatives to be the privileged ones because they have a motive not to change the system that favors them, they have no incentive to rebel.

A wealthy white man has less motivation to change the system, even if it is flawed and rotten, he will close his eyes as long as it continues to benefit him. It is likely for him to lean towards the right wing.

A woman who has grown up in a poor family without proper societal support and limited opportunities to improve her situation may find it easier to gravitate towards the left wing, as she has an incentive to change a system that does not favor her.

Additionally, I believe that many privileged liberals who appear to be liberals are not truly liberal or, at the very least, are less liberal than they present themselves to be.

They often live in a homogenous environment surrounded by people similar to themselves, which contradicts the progressive values they claim to embrace. This lifestyle can be seen as conservative rather than liberal.

However, in some sense, we can say that it is easier for wealthy individuals to be liberals because they have the financial resources and influence that provide them with protection.

Because being liberal can be more dangerous and risky for those who are poor and lack social status.

Liberalism, by definition, is about advocating for change, progress, and challenging established systems, in contrast to conservatism. It is safer to engage in rebellion and challenge the system when you possess the power to do so, as rebellion inherently carries risks.

In the past (and even in some places today), holding liberal views could result in a cruel death.

Edited by Lila9

👽

23 hours ago, Israfil said:

I guess the closeness to societal, economic, and environmental issues that left-wingers tend to have, makes them more anxious in general. Women and lgbt people walk around with a constant fear of men.

This.

Conservatives tend to live in bubbles when it comes to problems outside their little circle of concerns.

That is not a mistake, that is a feature of their world-view as being selfish is a survival strategy.

Being compassionate will make survival tougher. 

23 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Isn't the case that conservatives aren't prone to those problems but they express it in different ways.

Depression can be expressed as anger, like Jordan Peterson.

Anxiety can be masked with alcohol, drugs, workaholism, narcisism, being "too strict" etc.

30 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

This.

Conservatives tend to live in bubbles when it comes to problems outside their little circle of concerns.

That is not a mistake, that is a feature of their world-view as being selfish is a survival strategy.

Being compassionate will make survival tougher. 

I do think it is a bit of an overreaction sometimes, especially in more developed areas of our country. It is very hard to be a woman in the countryside, but I would say that the average woman lives a better life than the average man in the grand cities of Brazil. Of course, when you talk about the richest people, the figure flips.

The LGBT situation is simply deplorable. I can't correlate our culture with the way we treat lgbt, especially trans people, here. 

On 6/15/2023 at 11:38 AM, Recursoinominado said:

Leo has said time and time again that progressives are spoiled and conservatives were raised in tough conditions (in a nutshell).

As far as the US is concerned he is right.

Progressives are about the narrative of Fake Victimhood, i.e. First World Problems -- not real economic deprivation such as in many communities hollowed out by offshoring that supported Trump e.g.  The hottest thing in progressivism is intersectionality (i.e. race/sexuality/gender based politics.)

In other words, you can be an upper middle class black lesbian professor and still consider yourself a bigger victim than some dirt-poor white working class man in Appalachia e.g.

Current progressivism simply shunts Class to the side in favor of less important identity markers.  Of course it attracts a bunch of spoiled brats waging pee-pee politics, crying on Tik-Tok when they can't indoctrinate kids in schools.

Working class white AND poor blacks HATE that shit.  They don't want anything to do with these spoiled monsters.