Guest username

Letting Go Of Pain

26 posts in this topic

@Bodhi123 I got that. So you're saying external factors would be able to enhance if I allow them to, but I could also just as easily do that on my own, right?

Such that I would never need an external thing to feel my best?

@username I'm saying that external factors can never permanently knock you below your baseline level of happiness if you don't let them.

However, pleasant externalities will probably always give you a boost that will eventually fade. That is just being human.

1 minute ago, Bodhi123 said:

@username I'm saying that external factors can never permanently knock you below your baseline level of happiness if you don't let them.

However, pleasant externalities will probably always give you a boost that will eventually fade. That is just being human.

I see. Do you think there's a hard limit on that baseline, or do you think I could pretty much keep raising it for the rest of my life?

@username I think there is a genetic component to happiness. But if we consistently direct our mind and actions towards positivity then happiness will become our natural state.

5 hours ago, username said:

There was one girl I never managed to get over, and to this day, I haven't managed to recreate the happiness I felt around her. I have failed at replacing her, and I need help?

Should I just keep doing consciousness work and be patient with the quality of my life? I'm afraid I'll never be that happy again. 

I happier on average now then back then, but nothing has matched the ecstasy of being around her.

Edit: To clarify, I don't want her anymore, or even someone to replace her. I just want to feel that good without needing something external, and I haven't even come close to replicating that feeling.

Seek professional help,

I have entered the same practice of trying to fix things on my own and things have tumbled down further, dont lose more years in your life - go seek a professional therapist now. 

@avk123 Do you have any experience with a professional therapist?