Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charlie cho

Why Jordan Peterson Suffers from Depression (A psychological simplistic analysis)

18 posts in this topic

A very simpleton explaination, I have for you. Religions from the past tend to shun the possibility of virtue or righteousness being ever blissful. If one looks at statues of Jesus or any portraits of saints, they never look happy, while they think sinners look happy. Many people had associated, from the very beginning of human history, bitterness as truth, as Dostoevsky liked to put it, suffering as an antidote to love. Hence, it's easy to associate happiness, as Jordan Peterson likes to put it, as fleeting and not a worthy goal to attain. 

Jordan Peterson likes to think of himself as a saint, or at least he sees it as a noble goal to attain as his profession is a professor of psychology. And coming to the fact he comes from a religious past, Christian upbringing, of course he will associate sainthood as not 'necessarily' happy. That was how traditionally people thought of sainthood, and sinning, as happiness. 

But blissfulness is virtue. It does have to be a criterion. Dostoevsky, a novelist who Peterson admires most arguably, had said to 'find blissfulness in suffering' and he defined that as the deepest Christian love that one could attain. I disagree, there is no blissfulness in suffering, nor virtue in it. Tradition, especially the christian religion, never outright says suffering is virtue, but there is a vibe that they withheld, a murky goo of habitual thinking Christian had made offspring to to think that 'sinfulness' is happiness, while 'virtue' is not 'necessarily' happy.

Jordan Peterson had once said in other videos that happiness is not a goal, associating happiness with mice pumping up cocaine without virtually putting nothing of effort to chase food and survive for itself. Dying in the end, the mice, Jordan Peterson teaches this as the epitomy of how people will end up when one has happiness as a goal. 

No wonder he never presents an image of happiness in his videos or presentations. If he tries to present himself to the world, an image, of a saint and a person who does not 'associate with happiness as a virtue' type, he will end up depressed his whole life. I guess, he's already successful at that coming to the fact he takes depression pills even to this day. 

I think he's a very smart person. I wish somebody tells him to think of happiness in a different way. Perhaps happiness has nothing to do with pleasure, as he thinks of Mice with Cocaine. It's an absurd way to think of blissfulness. I want him to write a novel or something in the future and write many good books so that people could read in the coming times. Somebody ought to help him with his depression, and I've just written what I thought of him. 

It could also be that he suffers from health issues where depression is a common symptom.

It's hard to be happy as a Christian because Christanity is full of bullshit :D

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's hard to be happy as a Christian because Christanity is full of bullshit :D

Studies show that religious people in general are typically more happier. This could be because nonreligious folks may be more pessimistic, which makes sense when you realize everything is a lie. Ignorance is bliss in that sense. But there could be many other factors as well such as community involvement gives people more sense of a purpose.

Edited by r0ckyreed

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

People who are full of shit are not necessarily reliable when polled about their own happiness.

But also consider that the whole point of bullshit is to make yourself temporarily happier at other costs. For example, believing that your enemies will got to hell can make you temporarily happier.

Edited by Leo Gura

3 hours ago, charlie cho said:

Jordan Peterson likes to think of himself as a saint If he tries to present himself to the world, an image, of a saint

Jordan Peterson has never thought of himself as a saint or ever expressed that he was. In fact in some instances he has challenged the believability of sainthood and has attempted to ground it in a relatable way through many analogies and metaphors/similes. Also Jordan Peterson wanting to appear good in public is a standard that egos do. Why would an ego want to show their weaknesses? The irony is he has actually shown his weakness though by crying in public. So he has actually violated this notion of appearing good because many believe a man crying is a form of weakness. Jordan has been an integral part of educating and helping people to recontextualize  their world views. 

Jordan Peterson is a psychologist this means he has seen and experienced people at their worst. People in certain professions like social work, policing, soldiers, nurses, doctors, have to face the aspects of life that most modern people are shielded from. This can take an emotional toll over the years and stress is housed in the body. If Jordan wasn't so biased about Spirituality he could heal a lot of that accumulated stress.

Jordan Peterson means well, he is just ignorant as all hell about certain things but lives in a time period where his ignorance is not only embraced it gets him paid. If you have large amounts of people agreeing with you, cheering you on, and telling you that you changed their life for the better and you are getting paid and getting a ton of attention for what you do....how would you know that you are wrong?

A love of truth has to surpass approval to be truly authentic. Jordan Peterson's truth has a price, which 99.9% of humanity's truth does as well. Social Approval/Disproval is a very hard attachment to shake, its so strong because all identity is METAPHYSICAL!!! 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

People who are full of shit are not necessarily reliable when polled about their own happiness.

But also consider that the whole point of bullshit is to make yourself temporarily happier at other costs. For example, believing that your enemies will got to hell can make you temporarily happier.

As much as I dislike religion. From my experience religious people are genuinely the happiest in society because they have a close-knit community, always help out and support each other, and possess a sense of purpose. They don't have the same attitude as standard Westerners. They don't care that much about material success, technological advancement or explaining themselves to secular people. They just have a script and they follow it, it's not an easy life per see but it is a simple one.

I am talking from my experience, maybe its different in America

Edited by Vrubel

@Vrubel It stunts development. And when there is stagnation, of course one feels happy. That's why traditions exist, rituals exist, as a necessary part of society, otherwise people will go mad without them. It's like the salt is needed in any dish we eat, but with an excess amount, it tastes horrible. I question how they can truly be happy, when they resort themselves to stagnation. 

One might argue, 'no, I strive for growth, whilst communing with religious folks.' I agree, seekers tended to live with religious communities in the past more than even now, but if one knows there is a dysfunctional element, even something that harms society in existing religions, if one continues to participate in them, can one truly admit to oneself he is striving for growth, 'whilst communing with religious folks'? It's a difficult question, but I won't buy it. It may be possible, but something is not right about it. 

Many seek out religioius communities to find communion. The problem is many religions are established orders of organizations. To find communion inside an organization is a contradiction in terms. Organizations are supposed to be a communion itself, but if one is searching for communion in a communion is logically insane. One should make communion their own lives, proactively, not set out for institutionalized religions to make communities for the common layman. It will only exacerbate the problem most people have, to find out tribes and communities they can connect with. Religions tend to worsen one's ability to create truly good communities, and of course, destroys one's relationship to spirit. 

Edited by charlie cho

Her daughter is also on antidepressants. 

Otherwise what he says sounds like a bogus mind game.

The devil is in the details.

@charlie cho Oh I am well aware of the massive bullshit of religious folk. Of course, all of that bullshit will backfire at some point. Religion is a massive source of backwardness and retardation in society, think Iran and Saudi Arabia. 

Though you're not appreciating how completely different the worldview is of religious people, like truly orthodox religious. They just don't care or value the same shit as you. The more I understand religious people the more in shock I get about their medieval backwardness and barbarity. Even though on a personal level they are the most friendly and always ready to help, it's their political organizing that can get very dangerous. 

Jordan Peterson just misses God and he hasn't found him yet if he did he wouldn't be upset anymore. He's trying to find him but can't quite put his finger on it because like most dosent really know what metaphysics is but he could be close he might be on his dark night of the soul and thats the final step before finding god

Edited by Hojo

19 minutes ago, Hojo said:

Jordan Peterson just misses God and he hasn't found him yet if he did he wouldn't be upset anymore. He's trying to find him but can't quite put his finger on it because like most dosent really know what metaphysics is but he could be close he might be on his dark night of the soul and thats the final step before finding god

He's really close....dangerously so. It's why I think he isn't going to awaken. On the path 99.9% of people get right on the edge and spend the rest of their lives dancing on it.

Edited by Razard86

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

3 hours ago, Vrubel said:

From my experience religious people are genuinely the happiest in society because they have a close-knit community, always help out and support each other, and possess a sense of purpose.

There is truth in that.

Still, not worth the cost of religion.

7 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

Studies show that religious people in general are typically more happier. This could be because nonreligious folks may be more pessimistic, which makes sense when you realize everything is a lie. Ignorance is bliss in that sense. But there could be many other factors as well such as community involvement gives people more sense of a purpose.

It doesn't matter while the ego exists.   The longer (the older) the ego exists the more pessimistic it will become because the more it will see how fucked up survival is.  A religious person will counter this with their faith in God and that God will ultimately fix everything.   That's called keeping the faith.   An awakened person, however, knows that faith is a falsehood.  That they ARE exactly what is being manifested.   They can still get lost in the dream and be a pessimist.  But at the highest level they still grasp it is a game.  Getting lost in it is just fine.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Razard86  Lets hope he does cause he does put alot of effort into his religion videos and he knows about metaphysics as he decifers them he just needs to realize that he is metaphysical. I think he is a good man he is just very sad like the rest of men. He feels the abandonment of young men in his heart.

Edited by Hojo

13 hours ago, Hojo said:

@Razard86  Lets hope he does cause he does put alot of effort into his religion videos and he knows about metaphysics as he decifers them he just needs to realize that he is metaphysical. I think he is a good man he is just very sad like the rest of men. He feels the abandonment of young men in his heart.

Well in truth everyone is good, but from a moralistic/human materialist standpoint yes Jordan Peterson is good. In fact many that demonize him literally ignore the good will that gushes forth from him which is plainly obvious if you pay attention. Jordan Peterson isn't waking up everyday trying to terrorize people, outside of the people he thinks are pushing evil.

Since Jordan Peterson believes evil exists, he will attack anyone he thinks is doing harm. Jordan Peterson is very self-righteous and moralistic and he is this way because he believes that goodness is not a natural phenomenon he believes humans have to work to be good. Not only that he believes that to live is to suffer and characterizes life as trying to minimize suffering. This should give you a preview into the inner workings of his psychological lived experience that he actually suffers constantly and has to keep doing things to distract himself from that.

Many do not even understand how the constant criticisms he was facing how they were taking a toll on him. He put up a strong façade but they were impacting him psychologically. 

@Razard86 I won't demonize him, but I do have to criticize him, otherwise, he'll believe in his own fantasy and drive himself to hell. He's intelligent so I believe he will get out of the funk.

If he, though, continues to hold an image of a person of seriousness and suffering to show his 'devotion to Christ', he will go insane. 

He needs to stop fantasizing and crying about that he's a tenant for those values. 

But who cares, I'm just a random person in a forum. 

Edited by charlie cho

4 hours ago, charlie cho said:

@Razard86 I won't demonize him, but I do have to criticize him, otherwise, he'll believe in his own fantasy and drive himself to hell. He's intelligent so I believe he will get out of the funk.

If he, though, continues to hold an image of a person of seriousness and suffering to show his 'devotion to Christ', he will go insane. 

He needs to stop fantasizing and crying about that he's a tenant for those values. 

But who cares, I'm just a random person in a forum

I'm confused by these two statements? Do you know him personally?