CARDOZZO

The $2M Anti-Ageing Protocol For Longevity - Bryan Johnson

83 posts in this topic

Lmao

This guy is stupid, spending millions on useless supplements.

The real elite must be laughing out loud watching this guy torture himself while they sip their cd34-enriched fetus soup.

The devil is in the details.

7 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

This guy is stupid, spending millions on useless supplements.

The supplements are not expensive, the research process is what is very costly (mostly doing all the measuring and evaluating and monitoring those numbers is what costs millions every year)

Edited by zurew

I've been watching a lot of this guy's videos recently. Extremely impressed with everything he's doing and has achieved so far. 

He seems like a really genuine guy with a lot of integrity. 

He's also not desperately trying to sell a course, product or anything. I think he has plans to turn Blueprint into a business but at least at the moment everything is free to access. 

He also isn't super dogmatic about his protocol, particularly things like the vegan diet. He very often says that his protocol is specifically tailored for him and his needs. But it is very interesting that he's on a vegan diet, and in a caloric deficit on top of that.

@CARDOZZO Just to clarify your OP, he's not actually trying to live forever. He's explicitly said he's not trying to extend his life, he's specifically aiming to halt or rewind his biological age. 

These are some really good ones to watch:

@Leo Gura Are you familiar with this guy? He's essentially saying how do i be the healthiest human on the planet? Some really high quality information.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

He's doing good work, improving each day more and more.

This new wave of doctors/health-conscious people is nice, Bryan Jonhson, Peter Attia, Gary Brecka. They seem like very smart and inspiring people. 

Within limits, of course. 

The future of good health is highly highly highly personalized, that much is obvious. I hope AI can one day be that personal doctor you can access at any time. That's ultimately the solution, a highly educated doctor/health coach for every human individually. Humans are largely ignorant of health, and they know almost nothing about their own individual organism.

@MarkKol Agree 100%

You can search for Dave Asprey and David Perlmutter.

Health is #1 factor to performance.

34 minutes ago, CARDOZZO said:

@MarkKol Agree 100%

You can search for Dave Asprey and David Perlmutter.

Health is #1 factor to performance.

Both Asprey and Perlmutter are terrible sources for reliable health information.
Their interest is in selling books and supplements.

At least you can make the Argument that Johnson is doing this out of integrity and at least hast some bulletproof science behind (some of) his claims.

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

6 minutes ago, undeather said:

Both Asprey and Perlmutter are terrible sources for reliable health information.
Their interest is in selling books and supplements.

At least you can make the Argument that Johnson is doing this out of integrity and at least hast some bulletproof science behind (some of) his claims.

Do you hate them? 😂

I like their books.

It's better than nothing.

I've narrowed down the most important supplements to take as basically similar to what this guy promotes, but this is just one idiot's (my) perspective though. Still, I've spent enough time among the internet health quacks/nuts and spent enough time as one to where I believe I can give you the best "bang for the buck" supplements so you aren't taking 60 of them.

Glycine... everyone over age 25 would benefit from taking 10 grams per day for life for anti-aging, or eat pork rinds.

NAC... take if you are over 45... 600mg-1200mg/day for life

Taurine ... 1-2 grams a day for life for everyone would be beneficial. Super cheap to supplement. Don't get your taurine from Red Bulls.

Magnesium (Citrate, Glycinate, Malate) .... 400 mg/day for life, unless you are getting loose stools or eat lots of high magnesium foods, then cut back.

Creatine ...  especially important if you are physically active, but more research is coming out about it's positive effects. 4 grams per day is fine.

Basic multivitamin .. our soils are nutrient deficient. It doesn't need to be anything fancy or expensive. I use the costco brand. Men should avoid multivitamins with added iron unless you are vegetarian.

Choline/Betaine... found mostly in egg yolks and whole wheat, these items are good methyl donors and help keep fat out of your liver.  I would ignore the studies that talk about TMAO production by gut bacteria. This is mostly relevant for people with kidney disease who can have levels build up in their body. I would NOT want to be a gluten free vegan. You are going to be lacking these two nutrients and that's not good. Eat eggs, wheat, or quinoa in your diet. Do not take a "choline bitartate" supplement.

He mentions omega 3... you can't go wrong with milled flaxseed in your cereal or yogurt, or fresh farmed salmon and trout for EPA and DHA content. Saltwater fish spike up TMAO levels in the body if you believe in that narrative, much more than eggs. I wouldn't supplement with pills (but I currently do for now)

Most important is a healthy ventral vagal nervous system. Laughter, friendship, positivity. Good habits... stay off drugs, screens in excess, and keep a good sheep schedule. Have a sense of purpose. Listen to Leo's video on the happiness spectrum and implement the higher forms of happiness.

Edited by sholomar

This is an 1h long video explaining the origins of Bryan and some shady health protocols he is using. At some point, he injected somebody's fat tissue into his face resulting in a severe allergic reaction. He takes more than 60 supplements a day some of which directly affect the levels of biological markers used to estimate biological aging giving the impression he "reversed" his age. The ironic thing is that this obsession with health is in itself unhealthy. I have better things to do than centering my whole life about my health. Taking a couple of supplements while eating a healthy diet and exercising is more than enough.

Throughout the whole video, I sensed that he was in a dire to being introduced to spirituality. Instead, he stumbled upon health stuff, and in a sense it became his way of doing spirituality.

"Say to the sheep in your secrecy when you intend to slaughter it, Today you are slaughtered and tomorrow I am.
Both of us will be consumed.

My blood and your blood, my suffering and yours is the essence that nourishes the tree of existence.'"

@LSD-Rumi Thanks for your POV.

I really like when people disagree with myself in a healthy/constructive way.

3 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

Do you hate them? 😂

I like their books.

It's better than nothing.

Yeah, to be clear - I dont blame anyone following these health influencers. 
In fact, I get it! It sounds legit, most of them have credentials, it's motivational, it's non-conformist, it's cool, there is a community around it - and after all, some people clearly imrpove their health in the process. 

The thing is, once you actually start reading into the source material and become somewhat of a professional as well, you realise how absurd most of their claims are. They speak under this smokescreen of scientific rigor, but once you actually start to examine each claim with the evidence provided, you quickly realise how much of a bullshit fiesta it actually is. Claims for or against a specific diet are either  built on an extremely fragile line of evidence or made up completely. What to do and what to avoid is stated with such a delusional level of confidence but no real substance at all. Some even sell their overpriced and usually completely shitty supplements to their clueless customers. It makes me angry, because people don't realise the real extent of the shitshow.

Not everything is bad, you obviously need to look at each claim on it's own. And hey, if this is what it needs for someone on a standard american/ultraprocessed junk diet to switch to a more healthy option - then that's great. The problem is that there is so much dishonesty and bulshittery involved - it muddies the information landscape so nobody really can think straight anymore. Just look on all the social media platforms - it's diet wars - vegans vs. carnivores vs. keto vs. paleo....of course people get confused. And those influencers you mentioned are at the epicenter of this sensemaking crisis. Just look at this forum for example - the majority of posts about nutrition & health are regurgitated phrases/videos or podcasts from famous health influencers. "Oatmeal bad" - "Cholesterol good" - "Insulin spikes scary" - "Carbs kill you". This is not truth - this is a NPC mindset of uncritically repeating catchphrases you heard in a 10 minute Dr. Berg video. I would not care as much if this wasn't such a crucial topic. People will die earlier beacuse of this and that's terrible. Enough ranting! ;)

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

8 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

The ironic thing is that this obsession with health is in itself unhealthy. I have better things to do than centering my whole life about my health. Taking a couple of supplements while eating a healthy diet and exercising is more than enough.

Throughout the whole video, I sensed that he was in a dire to being introduced to spirituality. Instead, he stumbled upon health stuff, and in a sense it became his way of doing spirituality.

It's not any less healthy than being "obsessed" about say spirituality or psychedelics. How do you identify what is an "obsession" and distinguish it from "passion"?

I think people have this wrong idea that doing an elaborate 3-hour routine every day is necessarily a source of stress. It's not. It's the phase of adaptation that can be stressful. Once you're adapted, it's not stressful at all, or at least not what he is doing (taking a few pills, eating some delicious food, and working out for an hour every day). I'm of course not generalizing to all behavior, say David Goggins -type stuff (in a way, he is constantly pushing the adaptive response). People underestimate how adaptable they are, and that if Bryan were to go back to his old unhealthy lifestyle, that phase of adaptation would also be stressful. The only difference is that he is currently extremely healthy while you're not.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

9 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

It's not any less healthy than being "obsessed" about say spirituality or psychedelics. How do you identify what is an "obsession" and distinguish it from "passion"?

It is about mentality. He gives the vibes of obsession, not passion. Of course, every obsession has some passion behind it. If you look at his current lifestyle and his health "protocols", you will certainly find a lot of obsession.

Also, being passionate about a silly thing, doesn't make it any less silly. I find the idea of centering your whole life about living more than 80 years old very silly tbh.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking Bryan is making science here, but is he? He is just leading an experiment on himself that cannot be replicated by other humans because of its cost and complexity. If he was really interested in making a science of longevity, he would invest his money in making a research corporation, hiring real scientists who do research on how we really can slow down aging and prevent disease.

If you take more than 60 supplements a day, how do you really know which ones are working? and if this complex lifestyle worked for you, does that mean it can be replicated safely for everyone else? This is what I mean by him not doing real science here, he is just doing some experiment on himself.

He is dealing with longevity as the ultimate purpose of humanity which is very absurd and silly. Our main focus as humanity shouldn't be about extending our lives, it should be about living the best life. Bryan somewhat gives me The vibes that Leo does, but he, unfortunately, lacks the intellectual development to see how flawed his worldview is

Another problem is that he is attributing his happiness to the lifestyle he is leading. But I think most of his happiness came from the psychological development he did on himself over the years. He went through a classical midlife crisis of workaholism and a bad lifestyle. So he thinks now that all this health stuff is what is making him happy, and everyone should do the same. But at the end, if he find peace in his current lifestyle, I am very happy for him.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

"Say to the sheep in your secrecy when you intend to slaughter it, Today you are slaughtered and tomorrow I am.

My blood and your blood, my suffering and yours is the essence that nourishes the tree of existence.'"

How is obsession considered unhealthy? 

Not saying it's healthy either. It's just whatever it is. Wanting to know everything there is to know about a certain matter. Being obsessed is a good way to learn faster. You don't even need discipline as the impulse to pursue it occurs naturally for you. 

4 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

How is obsession considered unhealthy? 

Not saying it's healthy either. It's just whatever it is. Wanting to know everything there is to know about a certain matter. Being obsessed is a good way to learn faster. You don't even need discipline as the impulse to pursue it occurs naturally for you. 

It's a chronic stress.

The devil is in the details.

It is about mentality. He gives the vibes of obsession, not passion. Of course, every obsession has some passion behind it. If you look at his current lifestyle and his health "protocols", you will certainly find a lot of obsession.

"Vibes" is not a very substantive thing.

I think most of the hate Bryan gets is just due to social outrage, not really anything of substance. People see what they think is unusual behavior and react negatively to it.

Also, being passionate about a silly thing, doesn't make it any less silly. I find the idea of centering your whole life about living more than 80 years old very silly tbh.

It's not primarily about life extension. He believes this is living the good life. He says he has never felt better on a physical and mental level. Health isn't only about long-term outcomes. It has real impact on your immediate experience of life.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking Bryan is making science here, but is he? He is just leading an experiment on himself that cannot be replicated by other humans because of its cost and complexity. If he was really interested in making a science of longevity, he would invest his money in making a research corporation, hiring real scientists who do research on how we really can slow down aging and prevent disease.

To my knowledge, he has always underscored the fact that Blueprint is an individual project where there isn't necessarily an universal solution for anything. It's simply a method of repeatedly testing your biomarkers and tweaking your behavior accordingly. What is healthy for one person isn't necessarily healthy for another. In one sense, it's much smarter than a scientific process of trying to establish some protocol that generalizes to a lot of people. In fact, this might be why a high number of scientific studies in this domain actually fail to replicate: maybe a lot of human behavior is intrinsically irreducible.

If you take more than 60 supplements a day, how do you really know which ones are working? and if this complex lifestyle worked for you, does that mean it can be replicated safely for everyone else? This is what I mean by him not doing real science here, he is just doing some experiment on himself.

It doesn't matter as long as the biomarkers are good. And yes, he is doing an experiment, and he wants you to do the same.

He is dealing with longevity as the ultimate purpose of humanity which is very absurd and silly. Our main focus as humanity shouldn't be about extending our lives, it should be about living the best life. Bryan somewhat gives me The vibes that Leo does, but he, unfortunately, lacks the intellectual development to see how flawed his worldview is

Again, health has an immediate aspect and a long-term aspect. The immediate aspect is highly attractive on its own. I would still go the gym even if it didn't impact my longevity.

Another problem is that he is attributing his happiness to the lifestyle he is leading. But I think most of his happiness came from the psychological development he did on himself over the years. He went through a classical midlife crisis of workaholism and a bad lifestyle. So he thinks now that all this health stuff is what is making him happy, and everyone should do the same. But at the end, if he find peace in his current lifestyle, I am very happy for him.

Why not both? Leo is allegedly highly developed but also suffers from chronic health problems. I think he would agree that both are essential for living a good life.

Edited by Carl-Richard

@Carl-Richard This guy established a PayPal competitor that he finally sold to Paypal for 800 million dollars. He is an intelligent and visionary individual. I think he is too precious to center his life on such things. Imagine if Steve Jobs left Apple and started pursuing longevity as his main pursuit, yikes.

26 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@Carl-Richard This guy established a PayPal competitor that he finally sold to Paypal for 800 million dollars. He is an intelligent and visionary individual. I think he is too precious to center his life on such things. Imagine if Steve Jobs left Apple and started pursuing longevity as his main pursuit, yikes.

Bro, are you not reading anything I'm writing? It's not primarily about longevity. It's about living the best life; here, now.

Edited by Carl-Richard