Majed

is the liberal mind wiser than the conservative mind ?

97 posts in this topic

Liberals are like fruit. Conservatives are like vegetables. 

@StarStruck

14 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Liberals are like fruit. Conservatives are like vegetables. 

Why liberals=fruits, conservatives = vegetables?

7 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@StarStruck

Why liberals=fruits, conservatives = vegetables?

Something to contemplate about. 

@StarStruck

2 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Something to contemplate about. 

What's to contemplate your comparison? Both fruits and vegetables have similar minerals, vitamin levels, not accounting industrial farming stripping most trace minerals and vitamins in fruit and vegetable crops via use of pesticides and chemical sprays, on industrial level to fend off pests. Fruits in contrast mostly have high water content than vegetables and a bit more micronutrients, and vegetables having more fiber, carbohydrates, and amino acid proteins to convert, so vegetables have a bit more calories whilst fruits have a bit more micronutrients under the rainbow. The problem with your comparison and contrast is that Liberals and conservatives are all humans, and are not plants, and have little in common, so the comparison is bad. 

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That's what is meant by higher level of development.

It's not an accident that the more conservative one is, the more racist, xenophobic, sexist, and tribal one is.

Liberals are generally more developed than conservatives. But there will be plenty of exceptions to this so be careful not to stereotype all conservatives as lower.

What about a liberal who lacks discipline, has a weak work ethic, dishonest, irrational, and unrealistic left-wing views vs. a conservative who is hard working, disciplined, honest, temperate, and is measured in his right-wing views? Would the latter actually be a more developed individual than the former?

Edited by Hardkill

7 hours ago, Hardkill said:

What about a liberal who lacks discipline, has a weak work ethic, dishonest, irrational, and unrealistic left-wing views vs. a conservative who is hard working, disciplined, honest, temperate, and is measured in his right-wing views? Would the latter actually be a more developed individual than the former?

1) I never said they were.

2) Even so, disciplined, honest, temperate does not guarantee a high level of development. You can be an honest, disciplined, hard working simpleton who believes in the devil or is a temperate Nazi.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Liberal or conservative doesn't define inherent character. Both are equally susceptible to biases. There's cancel culture that can be taken to the extreme and there's conservative bias that might look like religious dogma. 

Both have their strengths and weaknesses and it's ideal to not gloss over any of their toxic tendencies.

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

12 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

1) I never said they were.

2) Even so, disciplined, honest, temperate does not guarantee a high level of development. You can be an honest, disciplined, hard working simpleton who believes in the devil or is a temperate Nazi.

Right.

But wouldn't the lazy, undisciplined, dishonest liberal be no more developed of an individual than a conservative?

3 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Right.

But wouldn't the lazy, undisciplined, dishonest liberal be no more developed of an individual than a conservative?

It's hard to say, and it depends.

It's hard to be dishonest and highly developed.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The evidence that the liberal mind is wiser seems overwhelming if you look just at America. Liberals are better educated and more open minded. Conservatives denied the existence of climate change for decades because their worldview is too narrow, myopic, or corrupt due to lobbying.

Is the liberal mind always wiser? Maybe not in a harsher environment. If survival is tough, then the conservative mind sees the danger of compassion. provided an environment in which you can afford to be open minded and explore new ideas, the liberal mind suddenly seems much wiser.

@Leo Gura

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It may be hard to be dishonest and highly developed, but it's possible. I'm sometimes dishonest and am highly developed myself.

@trenton

29 minutes ago, trenton said:

The evidence that the liberal mind is wiser seems overwhelming if you look just at America. Liberals are better educated and more open minded. Conservatives denied the existence of climate change for decades because their worldview is too narrow, myopic, or corrupt due to lobbying.

Is the liberal mind always wiser? Maybe not in a harsher environment. If survival is tough, then the conservative mind sees the danger of compassion. provided an environment in which you can afford to be open minded and explore new ideas, the liberal mind suddenly seems much wiser.

Which is why I've equated the liberal and conservative mind to the Yin-Yang symbol, asymmetrical yet balanced, and is highly relative and context dependent. Main problem for me is liberal minds using their superiority complex to attack conservative minds out of context. It's all polarization that's not necessary to do.

@Hardkill

14 hours ago, Hardkill said:

I would say, within context, the conservative mind is more superior than the liberal mind if the liberal is too lazy and too emotional and often lies and is too idealistic to get what's done, done.

@Enlightement

6 hours ago, Enlightement said:

Liberal or conservative doesn't define inherent character. Both are equally susceptible to biases. There's cancel culture that can be taken to the extreme and there's conservative bias that might look like religious dogma. 

Both have their strengths and weaknesses and it's ideal to not gloss over any of their toxic tendencies.

True, but I have to ask: Are you both siding liberal and conservative minds?

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That's what is meant by higher level of development.

It's not an accident that the more conservative one is, the more racist, xenophobic, sexist, and tribal one is.

Liberals are generally more developed than conservatives. But there will be plenty of exceptions to this so be careful not to stereotype all conservatives as lower.

1+

@Juan

26 minutes ago, Juan said:

1+

Proceeds to stereotype regardless of the warning. ?‍♀️

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Gura I'm curious about this scenario. Suppose a highly developed person is in a situation like the following.

There is a knock at the door. You answer the door and find Nazis standing outside. They ask if you have seen any Jews or if there are any Jews hiding in your house. In this scenario there is a Jew hiding in your basement. Would a highly developed person tell the truth in this situation?

follow up: Would a highly developed person let a Jew hide in their house in the first place in this kind of society?

If I lived in that kind of society, I would be afraid to let a Jew hide in my house if it could get me killed. Realistically, my behavior would therefore support the Nazis. This sounds like a person who is not very developed. I don't mean to be personal, this is just survival. If something goes wrong, I could get us both killed. Is helping the Jew a form of idiot compassion in this situation?

Would a highly developed person let go of their survival in this situation to help the Jew?

What if you are also risking your family by helping the Jew? Should you help the Jew or just let him die?

These scenarios are way more difficult when you take into account uncertainty in my opinion. Most scenarios are framed with obvious and fixed outcomes. It makes it easy for me to say that I would lie to the Nazis in that situation. Reality isn't that easy.

56 minutes ago, trenton said:

@Leo Gura I'm curious about this scenario. Suppose a highly developed person is in a situation like the following.

There is a knock at the door. You answer the door and find Nazis standing outside. They ask if you have seen any Jews or if there are any Jews hiding in your house. In this scenario there is a Jew hiding in your basement. Would a highly developed person tell the truth in this situation?

follow up: Would a highly developed person let a Jew hide in their house in the first place in this kind of society?

If I lived in that kind of society, I would be afraid to let a Jew hide in my house if it could get me killed. Realistically, my behavior would therefore support the Nazis. This sounds like a person who is not very developed. I don't mean to be personal, this is just survival. If something goes wrong, I could get us both killed. Is helping the Jew a form of idiot compassion in this situation?

Would a highly developed person let go of their survival in this situation to help the Jew?

What if you are also risking your family by helping the Jew? Should you help the Jew or just let him die?

These scenarios are way more difficult when you take into account uncertainty in my opinion. Most scenarios are framed with obvious and fixed outcomes. It makes it easy for me to say that I would lie to the Nazis in that situation. Reality isn't that easy.

I thought about it a little more. I am going to guess your answer.

You should go against the Nazis even if it means risking everything. This is high integrity and idiot compassion would be to sympathize with the Nazis. It is better to die in a meaningless revolution than it is to support the evils caused by hitler.

A highly developed would therefore be dishonest to people like Nazis.

@trenton

16 minutes ago, trenton said:

I thought about it a little more. I am going to guess your answer.

You should go against the Nazis even if it means risking everything. This is high integrity and idiot compassion would be to sympathize with the Nazis. It is better to die in a meaningless revolution than it is to support the evils caused by hitler.

A highly developed would therefore be dishonest to people like Nazis.

You could say that, but like you've stated in another post the reality is you don't know what you might actually do, reality, and no one will be perfect in honor. Risk is if you lie and they find out then they kill you and family or do worse to your wife and daughters, but if you tell truth or even refuse a Jew to hide in your home, you save yourself and your wife and daughters a horrible result of lying but will probably live with some guilt or bad feeling of immorality if they catch the Jew and kill him outside your property. SURIVAL is tricky, do you sacrifice some morality for pragmatism and survival, or risk your and family survival for retaining morals,  even if one negative outcome would be forced to see them rape your wife and daughters if they find out?

@Danioover9000 I noticed this as well.

I am asking two questions at once. One, what would a highly developed person do? The answer seems obvious at first.

The second question is much harder. Would you actually do it? This is when I really put myself in the Nazi's shoes and think about it. I probably wouldn't. These are two very different questions.

Knowing the answers is not the sign of a highly developed person. You would have to actually follow through rather than making it sound easy through an inspirational philosophy.