Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jannes

How much am I missing out by not eating veggies?

4 posts in this topic

I eat plenty of fruit and legumes and sometimes some raw veggies you can grab and munch on like carrots, paprika, tomates but not a lot of green veggies. 

Am I missing out on a lot of benefits?

If there are distinct benefits of green veggies which should I eat? I don't need the benefits which I already get from fruits and legumes.

Edited by Jannes

There's nothing amazing about greens that you can't get anywhere else, except maybe chlorophyll.
What is incredible, however, is how effective instinct is and even much more effective than one can imagine, including to decide effectively between processed and raw, processed and unprocessed products.

For example, I really like carbonated drinks, it's not very nutritious so it must be integrated into a relatively varied or in any case nutritious diet.
They have never given me any problems and my body loves them, if I replace them, for example, with a few unripe bananas every day, I risk having problems with brain fog, then gas etc.
Ditto for beans or certain green vegetables.

Do you see where I'm coming from? there is no magic food and the majority of plants can be inflammatory for some reason, all this history of diets is useless.
What really helps is to eat anything that doesn't seem to cause you problems, and I strongly believe in just listening to your body and your food tastes.
If you need green vegetables you will want them.

Incidentally, humans are biologically made to consume very dense foods such as meat, animal fat, fruits, tubers, fruits, nuts and seeds etc. Green vegetables are relatively dispensable.

The devil is in the details.

On 5/20/2023 at 0:23 AM, Jannes said:

I eat plenty of fruit and legumes and sometimes some raw veggies you can grab and munch on like carrots, paprika, tomates but not a lot of green veggies. 

Am I missing out on a lot of benefits?

If there are distinct benefits of green veggies which should I eat? I don't need the benefits which I already get from fruits and legumes.

Not really much I think, in case you eat a variety of fruits and legumes. In case you really would like to, you can get yourself tested for B12, macro/micronutrients, blood sugar, anemia test etc., and if you find something is still under or over, maybe then you might need a supplement or green veggie, or something else even. At the end of the day, do you feel good? Do you want to feel better? Maybe then you should start doing some form of Yoga or something.

Edited by Applegarden8

Probably not. I am finding it gradually harder and harder to justify the cost : benefit ratio of eating greens with the increasing grocery prices. 

They won't harm you but if your diet is otherwise good enough, they might not be adding any major benefits. That being said I still recommend them to clients in certain situations where green smoothies are easy way to cover nutritional deficiencies. ..(subject to grocery budget ofcourse) 

Plenty of other veggies or legumes that probably have similar nutrient density at 1/10 of the cost 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus