Huegeleisen

How to motivate myself for school if I absolutely hate it?

13 posts in this topic

So, I absolutely hate school and can not bring myself to do homework or to study for an exam when I am at home. Although if I get myself to sod it I produce exceptional results. But I do not have intrinsic motivation for school work and it feels like a time waste. Because of that I have trouble concentrating on a simple task and requires me so much mental energy to do it when I am tired after school. Actually the task itself is very easy but the process of doing the task drains mental energy from me as it really bores me to do it. 
Also I just hate the German school system because all exams make up only a third of a grade while participation in class matters 66,6% in every subject, so the extroverted kids are getting a good grade for free if they care about school a little. I hate that so hard because I have strong social anxiety and a slow thinker so that it is very hard for me to participate the class because other kids can put their hand up in the air faster to answer a teachers question while I am debating my own answer in my head and thinking if I should try to answer it (my answer is almost always right but I am always thinking that it either too simple or I think that the question the teacher asked is too stupid). Because of that I always end up getting a B if I do not mess up an exam. I can not pay attention in class because it is just boring and the teachers do very much small talk with the students so I end up playing video games on my iPad.

So my question is: Is it possible to resolve my hate for school or get myself to do the school work even if I hate it? 

What career path interests you? Are you in high school or collage? 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral I am a high school and I got about one year left. I have not fully decided yet but it will be most likely be something like a software or ai developer, soccer player/coach or a career path to improve the educational system (I am in the process of doing the lp course).

3 minutes ago, Huegeleisen said:

@integral I am a high school and I got about one year left. I have not fully decided yet but it will be most likely be something like a software or ai developer, soccer player/coach or a career path to improve the educational system (I am in the process of doing the lp course).

Just stick it out until college, it gets a lot better when you can pick your courses and focus on developing real skills. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral Ok, got it. How can I then just sit down to get the tasks done so I can focus on other things with the time left? Because I usually procrastinate on school and it only takes me maximum 5-6 hours in a really busy week.

I'm currently going into my junior year at college and I know what its like to feel like schoolwork is pointless and you aren't interested in it at all. I started to almost treat it like a game. How interested can I be in this? I also see it as an opportunity to develop my focusing abilities. Your ability to be lazar focused and productive is a muscle that you grow by exercising it. make it a challenge to be genuinely curious and feel appreciation for topics you feel are boring. 

You'll find that almost any topic can be engaging if you put all your heart and attention into it. I started taking pride in my work, performing at the top of my classes, genuinely learning the material, and even going above and beyond to ask questions. you can start to take pride in producing excellent work, even in subjects you aren't really interested in. 

@Noahsteelers34 Good answer @Huegeleisen Additionally you want to develop a mindset that your in control of your life and mastering your mind by taking 100% responsibility for everything. Blame is avoiding taking responsibility and when you take 100% responsibility for everything you no longer play this emotional tug of war game of avoidance, blame and resentment, its deeply freeing. The world is the way it is and its your job to beat that game exactly the way it is. Give up control and you'll get the control you've always wanted. 

Edited by integral

Motivation isn't needed. Work on changing your relationship towards it so that rather than hating it you embrace it and take it on as a fun adventure with its corresponding challenges. It's an opportunity for learning not only about the course but about yourself, starting with this resistance that you're generating.

Basically, change your relationship towards it by dropping your ineffective disposition and commit to it, or keep struggling doing something that has to be done. Establishing a negative relationship towards something you want and have to do is idiotic.

So yeah, basically: learn to enjoy it. Rather than resisting it, embrace your experience.

Have hobbies that interest you, that you're passionate about. Then, you can consider going full-time in some of them later on. 

It is these things in your personal-life that will drive your decision-making process in your professional-life. 

Imagine, if there are no schools/colleges. What would you do?

You have to really take that in. It's about shifting responsibility to your hands. 

At the moment it may feel like everything is set in stones and there's only a few paths you are suited for. But once you remove school or institutions out of the picture, things get a lot clearer. But don't expect any miracles. It's gonna take a lot of time and energy, a lot of trial and error.

I recommend you take a year off after highschool. and try out things you are drawn to. 

First you have to change the word absolutely hate to something else. Change to hate to annoy to challenging to fun.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:44 PM, Huegeleisen said:

If you really like software development then take online courses and focus on that as hard as you can, meet some people that are doing that already, get a job in that field, also practice soccer everyday if you love it! Ignore school if you don't like it, it's not for everyone, just learn enough to pass the grade. In the end your happiness is the most important. Vision, passion, love...