Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zion

Are Masculinity & Femininity a Social Construct?

7 posts in this topic

Are Masculinity & Femininity a Social Construct?

If they are not social constructs, what defines masculinity, what defines femininity?

Not at all. There are real intrinsic biological mechanics that drive the traits and urges. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

Given how a person's identity has both factored in at various degrees, I would say so.

As for how to define them, when a person possesses qualities or traits that are characterized as manly/girly, they can be referred to as masculine/feminine, although it's a blend and not always so black and white

It's interesting to think back to the caveman era before we were civilized; you would've had to survive at all costs and do whatever was required of you from your tribe.  Who are we to assume it was the men who went out on a hunt for boar or went fishing down the river?  Assuming there were shortages, anyone would've been required to take up action, whether they were male or female.

Of course this assumes that masculinity by definition possesses the trait of being courageous and strong, which a woman could possess as well, without presenting themselves as such.  To me masculinity/femininity is more how one presents themselves on the physical/appearance layer, although there's other modern factors such as sexuality and how a person reacts in social situations.

It seems; to be masculine is to be, however those biologically born with a penis, favor societally/culturally.

And to be feminine; is to be, however those biologically born with a vagina, favor societally/culturally. 

But that understanding still isn't quite right. It seems that masculinity & femininity are just a means to describe those with a collective attribution of a favorable attractive quality to that of a separate collective. And if that is the case; "masculinity" & "femininity" may eventually cease to exist for lack of their need to create sexual & biological harmony amongst humanity. The question is; how true is this? How do you find out how true femininity & masculinity are in terms of their necessity for humanity? (Necessity in every sense of the word; survival-wise, enjoyment-wise, homeostasis-wise, etc.)

You need to make a clear distinction here. Mascunilinity and femenenity has NOTHING to do with humans. The principles of the masculine and femenenine express themselves in everything, and humans are just an example where this principle manifests in a way which is dear to you.

Leo has amazing books that talk about this in his book list. If you are really interested you should check it out.

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

@Davino Why is there such a divide then, if it's not only categorized to humanity & collective species? Why not just create one unifying term with both femininity's & masculinity's traits & attributions? How is it not only attributed to humans & all other material species? If we weren't human, why would these distinctions/polarities even matter?

Masculinity is just a spectrum of psychological and physical tendencies related to androgens.

Technically you can be a hypnagogic soy boy and be de facto less manly than a tomboyish lesbian woman.

It's largely hormonal

Edited by Schizophonia

The devil is in the details.