Nilsi

Unplugging for 90 days

32 posts in this topic

I will unplug from the internet for 90 days. This means no social media, no YouTube, no news, no WhatsApp (which will probably get me in trouble lol), no Spotify, etc. I just cannot engage with all this intellectually and psychologically taxing content while effectively focusing on my career. Moderation has never worked for me, so doing yet another hail mary seems like a sensible idea. I don't want to run away from the world's problems and escape into some solipsistic bubble obviously, but I need some time and space to think and focus on real-world stuff.

My plan is to work in sales until I'm a millionaire and then drop out to focus on important philosophical problems, which will realistically take me 2-3 years if I give it my all. It's impossible to make any significant progress on large-scale societal issues if you put in 8-10 hours of psychologically taxing work every day. So, as ethically dubious as this may be, it's still my best plan to do something useful with my life. I will also burn through a lot of karma regarding luxury, sex, and power in this position, so that's quite good. And I strive to become an elite-level sales manager (which I will have to become on this tight schedule I've set for myself), which will translate reasonably well to any form of communication.

I will use these 90 days to really begin and study the ins and outs of effective communication (and persuasion), reconnect to reality on a somatic and visceral level, and get clear on how to proceed from there intelligently.

So, anyways, until then!

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Best of luck! See you later.

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

I almost unplugged by not using any social medias and YouTube. In the end, I realised I listened to some music via pure tuber (playing YouTube in background). 

Oh well today is day 1 again.

42 minutes ago, hyruga said:

How is your progress @Nilsi?

??

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

??

He didn't say 'no forums' so I assume he may be lurking around. Anyway, I am checking on his progress of how many YouTube videos or social media feeds he watches or read.

13 minutes ago, hyruga said:

He didn't say 'no forums' so I assume he may be lurking around. Anyway, I am checking on his progress of how many YouTube videos or social media feeds he watches or read.

Forum goes under social media.

He hasn't visited since he made this thread, nice

On 16.4.2023 at 11:35 AM, hyruga said:

How is your progress @Nilsi?

I flunked out after a week lol

I felt more pressure to check YouTube/news etc. than I felt to cum xD

The internet is so interwoven into the contemporary mind, it craves it more than biological reproduction.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

You didn't miss anything here :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

You didn't miss anything here :ph34r:

Yeah, I didnt think so lol

This place is way too sterile for anything new and worthwhile to emerge. 

Actualized.org has become an idealist cul de sac. I could leave for 10 years and I wouldnt miss anything.

21 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Actualized.org has become an idealist cul de sac. I could leave for 10 years and I wouldnt miss anything.

Solipsist*

12 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Solipsist*

Fair, although that is just the logical conclusion of idealism. The same way materialism makes you question your own free will.

Metaphysical rumination itself is the symptom of a sick mind, if you ask me. Nothing good ever came out of it. Not 2.000 years ago and not today.

1 hour ago, Nilsi said:

I felt more pressure to check YouTube/news etc. than I felt to cum xD

Our mind is way too fucking addicted to the internet and social media. Your challenge is only possible if you literally move somewhere, where there is no internet in a 50km radius and where you need to walk to get there.

One of the biggest mistake when it comes to these challenges, is that we start with a very good, strong , motivated state of mind, and we forget and we have a hard time intuiting  how hard these challenges can become when we have a low state of mind. So when you make a decision or a plan and your state of mind is extremely high, you should maybe cut in half the intensity or the duration of your challenge (because you are mindful that your state of mind probably won't stay the exact same way, when you started) or at the very least have some plan for what you will do, when the urges come.

48 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Yeah you won't really see novel points or any critical engagement with any material, especially when it comes to spirituality or philosophy.

People here have a full list of deflection and self-deception arsenal that they can use, so they don't need to think or critically engage with anything (just bring up solipsism  or spiral dynamics and you can know, that you are right and superior to everyone else).

Edited by zurew

2 minutes ago, zurew said:

Yeah you won't really see novel points or any critical engagement with any material, especially when it comes to spirituality or philosophy.

People here have a full list of deflection and self-deception arsenal that they can use, so they don't need to think or critically engage with anything (just bring up solipsism  or spiral dynamics and you can know, that you are right and superior to everyone else).

The problem is way deeper than being biased toward some one ontological system or scientific model.

Colletcively we have probably explored the whole possibility space of human thought and philosophy up to this point in history and look where it lead us... arguing endlessly over whether other people are real or not xD

There is a time and place for contemplation. When it becomes the main event though, it turns on intself and chips away at the roots that once gave it life in the first place.

42 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Fair, although that is just the logical conclusion of idealism. The same way materialism makes you question your own free will.

The type of solipsism I'm talking about is an abhorration of idealism. It's quite literally like confusing a single atom with the entirity of the universe.

46 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Metaphysical rumination itself is the symptom of a sick mind, if you ask me. Nothing good ever came out of it. Not 2.000 years ago and not today.

Of a tormented mind, maybe; of a confused mind looking for answers, maybe; of a curious mind trying to make sense of itself, certainly.

32 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Colletcively we have probably explored the whole possibility space of human thought and philosophy up to this point in history

You're saying this at the cusp of the AI revolution :D

9 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

You're saying this at the cusp of the AI revolution

This + finding intelligent alien life could both dramatically change our own view and the way we do philosophy and how we engage with the world.

+ of course gene editing  and all kinds of other stuff that can help elevate our limitations when it comes to contemplation and thinking and questioning.

Edited by zurew

5 minutes ago, zurew said:

This + finding intelligent alien life could both dramatically change our own view and the way we do philosophy and how we engage with the world.

+ of course gene editing  and all kinds of other stuff that can help elevate our limitations when it comes to contemplation and thinking and questioning.

In my humble opinion, all this contemplative and spiritual work is a necessary station one has to pass to actualize ones highest potential - but I dont see it as the destination (anymore).

Nowadays Im so immersed in life, metaphysical questions dont even arise. I live a life of action and I have never been more fulfilled. 

But still, I wouldnt be able to live life on such a high level had I not done all the thinking, reading and exploring first.

Aliens, gene-splicing and artificial intelligence are just some novel artifacts of our age. They dont change the fundamental dynamics of life.

14 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

In my humble opinion, all this contemplative and spiritual work is a necessary station one has to pass to actualize ones highest potential - but I dont see it as the destination (anymore).

Nowadays Im so immersed in life, metaphysical questions dont even arise. I live a life of action and I have never been more fulfilled. 

But still, I wouldnt be able to live life on such a high level had I not done all the thinking, reading and exploring first.

Aliens, gene-splicing and artificial intelligence are just some novel artifacts of our age. They dont change the fundamental dynamics of life.

I hate to bring him up again, but there is actually quite some wisdom in Andrew Tate using "geek" and "nerd" as a slur. 

Its men of action that end up being rewarded by life with health, looks, riches and a great (genetic) legacy. 

This goes for all great human achievements, of course -  be they artisitc, politic, literary, etc. 

Even Hegel spent a good chunk of his life in action, fighting the creative battle to immortalize his ideas (as anti-action as they may be).