Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
julienw

Tim Urban from Wait But Why releases new book, curious to hear your thoughts

5 posts in this topic

Haven’t read the book but I read some reviews and watched about half of his conversation with Lex Fridman. It’s interesting but I can’t help but feel like something is missing here. As Leo describes in his Intro to Serious Philosophy episode, clear understanding. It feels like Tim is overly fixated on finding language to describe phenomena that are unfolding at the collective social and political level, rather than understanding the psychological forces that explain them. This is where I feel like Leo excels, in addition to his ability to communicate these insights. This makes it difficult to get through this conversation and feel like I’m gaining anything from listening to it

@julienw

On 01/03/2023 at 9:02 PM, julienw said:

Haven’t read the book but I read some reviews and watched about half of his conversation with Lex Fridman. It’s interesting but I can’t help but feel like something is missing here. As Leo describes in his Intro to Serious Philosophy episode, clear understanding. It feels like Tim is overly fixated on finding language to describe phenomena that are unfolding at the collective social and political level, rather than understanding the psychological forces that explain them. This is where I feel like Leo excels, in addition to his ability to communicate these insights. This makes it difficult to get through this conversation and feel like I’m gaining anything from listening to it

I can confirm, because I felt after some time of listening, it's one of those 'lost in semantics' podcasts. I feel that Leo, and very few sages in the world, really understands how tricky this work can be. I was optimistic that maybe it would be good if Lex Fridman and Leo could talk, but I don't think that it would be productive. I even think it would be like the Kanye and Lex Fridman episode, and I can already see how he would be so triggered and defensive by Leo's revelation. Who wouldn't, especially if you're a Scientist/computer nerd into the human braun, being told that the brain doesn't exists, and that you're GOD and INFINITY IS EVERYTHING, or if Leo tones it done, you are NOTHINGNESS, or not real at all. Yeah, I can see how radical levels of open mindedness and wisdom is needed,  that whicb Lex unfortunately has little of, despite him saying how'd he'd love more and so on.

Who is this guy?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura a journalist popular a few years back writing on his blog very long articles on interesting scientific theories like Fermi paradox for example. He doesn't really add much of his own insights, just regurtiating, reporting what's already here. I mean he kind of tries to add something of his own, but his way of thinking is very standard.

@Girzo

1 hour ago, Girzo said:

@Leo Gura a journalist popular a few years back writing on his blog very long articles on interesting scientific theories like Fermi paradox for example. He doesn't really add much of his own insights, just regurtiating, reporting what's already here. I mean he kind of tries to add something of his own, but his way of thinking is very standard.

Standard, and a bit boring.