Romazho

I think I am developing the "Main Character Syndrome", is it normal?

9 posts in this topic

I think since I have watched the "What is reality" video late at night trying to fall asleep, I have started to develop the "Main Character Syndrome". 

It was my second time watching this video, but when I woke up it didn't really affect me. I only noticed it when I was at the gym (a couple of days later), I still thought about it from day to day, but nothing too serious. Until, one day when I was at the gym. Usually, the gym is pretty packed, but this day, it was kind of empty.

So, I just sat on a leg machine, looked around the gym, and the idea of reality being an imagination came to me. After this idea, I just started looking differently at the people around me. I was trying to see if they are real or just bots walking around who are trying to act like what I would imagine would make sense to me.

The entire time I was at the gym, I thought that I was like the main character of this imagination. But, then I came back home and it faded away after a couple of hours. 

From time to time, I still get this feeling, but nothing like the first time it happened. Occasionally, I try to force it (because it's a cool feeling), but it doesn't work as the first time. 

Do you also experience this perspective? How often? Am I regressing into a narcissist or is it part of the development? 
I also took the narcissism test that Leo have posted on his blog, I got 11/40 and I took the test very seriously (took me like 15-20 minutes).

Edited by Romazho

"Main Character Syndrome" is just a stupid meme the Left on the internet came up with because they are too lost in populist thinking.

You are the main character of your life, that's just the genuine truth. Don't let shallow social media discourse gaslight you.

@Romazho

Doesn’t sound like narcissism to me. I think you’re fine. Just keep doing the work.

Remember, all “other” characters are you. That’s one of the main insights we are shooting for. If you still think others are separate bots, you didn’t get it.

Isn't it suspicious that in every experience of your life you seem to be in the center of the (yo)Universe?

Edited by Arthogaan

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

I dont get why "main character syndrom" is looked as bad its a progress in conciousness there are nuances to things....

There is nothing safe with playing it safe.

I'd say this is development. But keep in mind that the 'main character' is just as much a mob as the mobs themselves. This state of seeing can be produced in direct experience. So I'd say works towards that. Dissolve the duality between the main character and a mob.

Other people at the gym are your own mind.  Others are imaginary the same as you.  Reality is a hallucination.  Oxygen, food, and water are hallucinogens to keep you in this Trip!

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

13 hours ago, Romazho said:

The entire time I was at the gym, I thought that I was like the main character of this imagination. 

Good!

You are the hero in your story - that is perfectly healthy and as it should be.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

When talking to "someone else" it should be like 

"Why the hell am I talking to myself?"

"Why the hell are my thoughts so perfectly synchronized with what they'll say next?"

It should feel and perform LITERALLY like a lucid dream (except your will while sober will only be able to affect chance, not completely reimagine stuff and fly for example - that would probably require a much higher state than this).

Speaking from experience.

I experienced what your original post is too but that's not the actual thing nonetheless it is still a good line of thought.