effortlesslumen

Belly breathing as default

12 posts in this topic

Was someone here able to reestablish belly breathing as a default autonomic function? As it is of my understanding, it is the normal way we are acustomed to breath as child, but as the domestication progresses we tend to supress certain behaviours (obviously for necessary reasons) and tense up and chest breathing becomes the norm, which is related to stress response. I am in the darke here, how to change this pattern. Has someone more knowledge?

It helps if you correct your posture. If you're posture was bad, you might suddenly find yourself breathing in a lot more air in the belly and because it feels so good, you might not have to worry about make it a habit. I don't know though. I never stopped belly breathing. Everyone in my family belly breathes.

The goal is to learn to nasal breathe, that by default leads to more abdominal breathing.

Some people even tape their mouth during the day (in socially acceptable circumstances) to rewire the pattern.

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Belly breathing is breathing through the diaprahm to be specific, the muscle underneath the lungs at cerca belly level. When we breath with the chest we use the intercostal muscles, which are all the muscles connected to the ribs.

I learned to belly breath concistently simply through practice. It's been standard for me for years at this point.

You can practice belly breathing by placing one hand on the tummy, the other on the chest. If, when you breath, only the hand on the tummy rises then you are belly breathing. It helps to lay down. Practice so you learn to an intuitive difference between chest and belly breathing. Then you simply have to remind yourself concistently to breath with your belly till it becomes ingrained and standard.

On 28.1.2023 at 7:24 AM, Swarnim said:

It helps if you correct your posture. If you're posture was bad, you might suddenly find yourself breathing in a lot more air in the belly and because it feels so good, you might not have to worry about make it a habit. I don't know though. I never stopped belly breathing. Everyone in my family belly breathes.

@SwarnimIm currently fixing my deeper laying posture issues, so i might see some changes thanks.

Edited by effortlesslumen

On 28.1.2023 at 4:27 PM, Michael569 said:

The goal is to learn to nasal breathe, that by default leads to more abdominal breathing.

Some people even tape their mouth during the day (in socially acceptable circumstances) to rewire the pattern.

@Michael569  I did not know that, maybe i should strengthen my body awareness and try it out if i see a difference. I consider myself a nasal breather but maybe im wrong thanks. 

On 4.2.2023 at 0:20 AM, Basman said:

Belly breathing is breathing through the diaprahm to be specific, the muscle underneath the lungs at cerca belly level. When we breath with the chest we use the intercostal muscles, which are all the muscles connected to the ribs.

I learned to belly breath concistently simply through practice. It's been standard for me for years at this point.

You can practice belly breathing by placing one hand on the tummy, the other on the chest. If, when you breath, only the hand on the tummy rises then you are belly breathing. It helps to lay down. Practice so you learn to an intuitive difference between chest and belly breathing. Then you simply have to remind yourself concistently to breath with your belly till it becomes ingrained and standard.

@Basman Sounds simple. But how did you remind yourself concistently? Thanks

@effortlesslumen 

I believe when I was first practicing it, I would just remember. Bit like meditation where you notice when you are drifitng in thought and return to your breath. Making yourself breath with your diaphraghm when you notice yourself shallow breathing. Daily meditation definitely helped me developing it as a habit since you are working with your breath consciously. 

It wasn't hard for me to learn the habit as I tend to be just good at remembering certain stuff. I don't know if that's helpful.

There might also be a musculature aspect to it. Your body might need a period to adapt and develop muscle control.

Nasal breathing is pretty much the ideal for calm deep breathing in my experience. With your tongue resting on the back of your two little buck teeth, jaw somewhat relaxed.

Edited by Basman

On 16.2.2023 at 11:23 PM, Basman said:

@effortlesslumen 

I believe when I was first practicing it, I would just remember. Bit like meditation where you notice when you are drifitng in thought and return to your breath. Making yourself breath with your diaphraghm when you notice yourself shallow breathing. Daily meditation definitely helped me developing it as a habit since you are working with your breath consciously. 

It wasn't hard for me to learn the habit as I tend to be just good at remembering certain stuff. I don't know if that's helpful.

Remembering something like that, so easily seems quiet rare to me . Not bad

Notice when you're breathing if your shoulders raise up and down it means that you are breathing with your chest which is vertical breathing, this is how most or many people in the west breath beacuse of the modern stressful demanding lifestyle, this kind of breathing is functional in order to act like a doing machine (but not a human being).

Correct breathing is breathing with a closed mouth, through the nose, it's a circular type of breathing that should be felt in your belly, sides and your back.

The breathing should feel good. If it doesn't feel good it means that you either breath too fast or too deep (don't strain the muscles too much).

You'll notice that with belly breathing you become more conscious and aware to your body/surroundings/thoughts/feelings, more attuned to the present moment.

Sometimes it might be a bit dysfunctional and affect your productivity if you have a demanding and stressful career with deadlines or in situations when you have to make things done fast or make fast decisions though. But if you have such a job where you most of the time struggle breathing through the belly and keep being productive, you may consider switching career.

👽