Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

The 117th Congress was actually one of the most productive sessions in US history?!

3 posts in this topic

According to wikipedia "Despite Democrats holding only razor-thin majorities in both chambers during a period of intense political polarization, the 117th Congress is considered by political scientists to have been one of the most productive sessions of Congress in U.S. history. Some political scientists have described the legislative accomplishments of this congress as the most significant and sizable since those of the 89th Congress when President Lyndon B. Johnson passed many of his Great Society policies. Major policies enacted by the 117th Congress include the landmark Inflation Reduction Act, American Rescue Plan, Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, Postal Service Reform Act, Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, CHIPS and Science Act, Honoring Our PACT Act, and the Respect for Marriage Act."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/117th_United_States_Congress

I knew that Biden and the Democrats in Congress ultimately got a lot of done, especially considering how extremely divided the US has gotten politically in recent years and the fact that they really only had razor-thin majorities in both chambers of Congress during Biden's first two years of his presidency. However, I wasn't sure before if this Congress would be considered by experts to be such a historic success.

Obviously, the Dems weren't able to achieve nearly as many successes as they did during the New Deal and Great Society eras, but apparently all of successes they achieved during Biden's first two years as president basically measure up to all of the historic successes they made during Obama's first two years as president.

This should definitely be considered an historic win for Biden and the Democrats.

Edited by Hardkill

Also, Leo was right all along about Biden arguably becoming even more successfully progressive than even Obama: 

On 2/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, Leo Gura said:

Biden knocking it out of the park so far.

Let's see how long it holds.

I think many progressive naysayers will be shown wrong by Biden. He will be better than Obama I think. But of course they will still whine that he's not doing enough.

Progressive have been way too harsh on Biden.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:03 PM, Leo Gura said:

The culture has shifted up since 2008. The Overton window has shifted. People get more liberal as society evolves -- even despite MAGA. Conservatives are usually fighting a losing battle. Every liberal president who is elected pushes the envelop forward a bit. Which is why progressives need to calm the fuck down and be patient. It's not going to happen overnight.

8 years of Biden/Kamala will move us considerably forward even if they are neoliberals.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, Hardkill said:

Well, I am glad that Biden has so far been doing well overall. 

However, what about the fact that all members of Congress have become more divided than ever before? What about the fact that our country has been more political divided than ever before? Also, what about the fact that the Senate will be holding Trump's second impeachment trial beginning this coming Tuesday for an indefinite amount of days or perhaps weeks?  Do you guys think those issues may end up slowing the Biden administration's agenda so much to the point of not being able to make any real progress for the country within the next 4-8 years? I ask because that's what some liberal political experts are have been worried about lately.

On 2/7/2021 at 0:21 AM, Leo Gura said:

That is not Biden's fault. That is the just where America is at. He will deal with it as best he can. Obama faced the same obstruction. Republicans don't have any good ideas so all they do is obstruct progress.

It's not possible unify a country when 30% of it are deplorable devils with zero shame, integrity, or wisdom, and while right-wing media is frothing them up into a raging frenzy for profit.