The Mystical Man

Magnolia (1999)

6 posts in this topic

An interesting film by Paul Thomas Anderson, director of "The Master" and "There Will Be Blood".

It's the PTA movie that I liked the most, but I think none of Anderson's movies are truly great. 

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

At least the soundtrack is great:

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

"Family is endless ammunition for good drama or good comedy."

"The scripts that I write are clean of flowery explanation of what they're supposed to be feeling. It has to be done through dialogue and what they do."

@The Mystical Man Lol i liked the policeman scenes.

But ye i kinda have the same opinion of PTA overall. I was always waiting for it to get epic, to my own standards.

maybe its a visual literacy thing

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

Do what works

4 minutes ago, Ulax said:

But ye i kinda have the same opinion of PTA overall. I was always waiting for it to get epic, to my own standards.

He's always on the cusp of achieving greatness, but something is always missing.

Edited by The Mystical Man

1 hour ago, The Mystical Man said:

He's always on the cusp of achieving greatness, but something is always missing.

@The Mystical Man I feel like he isn't willing to go into the grotesque as much as he could.

I think I like someone like Gaspar Noe for that reason better. And just the french cinema folks in general.

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

Do what works