The Mystical Man

The Lighthouse (2019)

20 posts in this topic

A good film by Robert Eggers, director of "The Witch":

The cinematography and the sound design are great. But what makes this movie worth watching are the phenomenal performances by Dafoe and Pattinson. This film is especially good for fans of Moby-Dick.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

I watched it. I really wanted to like it, but I did not enjoy it at all. Very overrated in my opinion.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Ye I watched this a while back and didnt have a fucking clue what was going on ?

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

Do what works

I just remember it being a bit weird. Like I could see what they were going for, but it just didn't work for me.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I watched it. I really wanted to like it, but I did not enjoy it at all. Very overrated in my opinion.

It's not a masterpiece by any means. It's not even great. It's just good. Good enough for me, at least, because I enjoy the language and the acting.

@The Mystical Man I admit is has its charm. Just wish it was more enjoyable to watch.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It was a bad movie for me. 

Cannot understand where the hype lies. Story is also not great at all. 

Good actors for sure. But Overall more of a trash movie for me

Pattinson's best scene in this movie:

https://youtu.be/F59p73MCDzU?t=73

Dafoe's best scene in this movie:

I can't stop watching these two scenes. They're very well-written and well-acted. Pattinson's rant is especially entertaining.

Edited by The Mystical Man

My favourite movie, it's endlessly entertaining for me and each time I watch it I interpret it in a more nuanced manner. It's a damn shame it didn't resonate with you guys like it has with me and so many others.

@Cubbage I love it too! The vibe of this movie is so unique and immersive. And the acting is also amazing.

Edited by Vibes

Do you guys have some mini-series recommendations? 

My favorites are:

Chernobyl

Sharp Objects

The Night Of

Escape at Dannemora

2 minutes ago, Vibes said:

Do you guys have some mini-series recommendations? 

Have you watched The Queen's Gambit already? Midnight Mass?

Have you watched The Patient with Steve Carell? 

It's not one of my favorites, but I liked how they didn't demonize certain characters. 

Edited by Vibes

6 hours ago, Vibes said:

Have you watched The Patient with Steve Carell? 

On 11/1/2022 at 9:25 PM, The Mystical Man said:

Pattinson's best scene in this movie:

https://youtu.be/F59p73MCDzU?t=73

I watch this scene every day:

"I'm tired of your damned-fool yarns and your Cap'n Ahab horseshit. You sound like a goddamned parody. Givin' and nagging orders like a spinster schoolmarm, and all the while turning this station to the Devil's own rum hole."

"You think you're so goddamned high and mighty just 'cause you're a goddamned lighthouse keeper? Well, you ain't a captain of no ship and you never was."

"You smell like hot onions fucked a farmyard shit-house."

This scene makes me happy.

This scene is great, too:

I tried to recreate the look of The Lighthouse for my film production class:

https://streamable.com/p73cl1

What do you guys think?

"Bellow, bid our father the sea king rise from the depths, full foul in his fury! Black waves, teeming with salt foam to smother this young mouth with pungent slime. To choke ye! Engorging your organs, til ye turn blue and bloated with bilge and brine and can scream no more. Only when he, crowned in cockle shells, with slithering tentacle tail and steaming beard, take up his fell befitted arm, his coral-tined trident screaming banshee like in the tempest, and plunges right through your gullet. Bursting ye! A bloated bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now a nothing for the harpies and the souls of dead sailors to pick, and claw, and feed upon, only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite waters of the Dread Emperor himself. Forgotten! To any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil, forgotten even to the sea. For any stuff or part of Winslow, even any scantling of your soul is Winslow no more, but is now, itself, the sea!"

"I’m tired of your damn fool yarns and your Captain Ahab horseshit. You sound like a goddamn parody. Giving and nagging orders like a spinster schoolmarm, and all the while turning this station to the devil's own rum-hole. It’s all horseshit! Your leg, your sea life, all of it! And if I hear one more word of horseshit coming out of your foul, rotten toothed, smelly old mouth... Shut it! I ain’t finished yet! You think you’re so goddamn high and mighty just because you’re a goddamn lighthouse keeper? Well you ain’t a captain of no ship and you never was! You ain’t no general, you ain’t no copper, you ain’t the president, and you ain’t my father! And I’m sick of you acting like you is. Sick of your laugh, snoring, and your goddamn farts. Your goddamn... goddamn farts! You smell like piss. You smell like jism, like rotten dick. Like curdled foreskin. Like hot onions fucked a farmyard shithouse. I’m sick of your smell, I’m sick of it, I’m sick of it you goddamned drunk, you goddamned no account son of a bitch bastard liar! That’s what you are! You’re a goddamned drunkard, horseshitting, short, shit liar! A liar!”