Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Would reinstating the Federal Assault Weapons Ban in the US have some benefits?

2 posts in this topic

I get that having a nationwide ban on all assault weapons throughout the entire country probably won't dramatically reduce the amount of gun violence that occurs in America. 

However, that shouldn't mean that nothing should be done at all to seriously reduce gun violence problem we have in the US. 

Biden and Clinton in the 90s were able to successfully pass the Federal Assault Weapons Ban Act within the Clinton Crime Bill the Biden Crime Law, which became a 10-year ban that "included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms that were defined as assault weapons as well as certain ammunition magazines that were defined as large capacity."

The results were mixed and it probably didn't lead to a major plummeting in overall gun violence, but from what I understand, it likely helped reduced the amount of mass shooting and murder to some significant degree. Some experts on this matter say that the ban it probably would have reduced gun violence to a greater degree if it was implemented for much more than 10 years.

Biden lately has been saying that he's going to get the federal ban on assault weapons passed again through Congress (somehow):

Let me know your thoughts on this.

I'm sure.  I wish the democrats much luck with that.  

Edited by Heart of Space