How can we speak in a way that allows maximum growth and depth on the forum?

Thought Art
By Thought Art in Personal Development -- [Main],
When I am speaking with people on the forum for example I'd like to begin communicating in a more conscious, loving and healthy way that allows each thread the opportunity for maximum growth, depth, and love for everyone involved.  When I see people who are really biased, and sticking to their view... Is there anyway to steer the conversation not towards them like, agreeing with me.... but instead towards opening up the discussion to be more open, where people feel more safe to play with different interpretations, ideas, perspective from an open minded place?  Is that something you can cultivate or something people have to bring to the table themselves?  Sometimes I notice I battle people, or bludgeon them with my perspective and I'd like to begin instead cultivating/ contributing to threads more open ended, safe places for people to explore different biases and perspectives.  Wondering if you had any thoughts on this? I have realized that I never need to be right or prove my point on this forum. Theres nothing to ever lose, or at risk at any point. So, I don't need to defend anything. No one here can do anything to me. Any reaction I have to someones ideas is my own reaction and self doing.   I'd like to instead focus on speaking so we can all learn more about our own biases, perspectives, blind spots, ideas, implicit understandings, and the functionings of our own minds and consciousness.  It's definitely not easy and will take a conscious effort on my part to improve in this regard.   I never need to be right or prove my point on this forum. Theres nothing to ever lose, or at risk at any point. So, I don't need to defend anything. I'd like to instead be an uncarved block of wood. I am completely safe at all times. Theres no risk involved in being open, expansive... Yes, Leo reminds me about the Socratic Method. I've read "The Last days of Socrates" a few years ago. I'll need to get another copy. I remember I found it very inspiring. I think I cried tears reading it. I think I will try to make an effort to apply the Socratic method, non-violent communication, conflict resolution principles and try to contribute to threads in a way that allows people to really open up and explore their own ideas.  Some book Recommendations: The Last day of Socrates - for the socratic method. A method of communicating that allows participant to explore and understand more deeply what they mean by the symbolic references (language) they use. To understand peoples points, implicit understanding, to help them explore their own ideas etc Non-Violent Communication - for tips and practices on speaking from a place of understanding and non-violence  The Space Between Us - Conversations about Transforming Conflict  - A great book on understanding conflict and conflict resolution Fixed - How to Perfect the Fine Art of Problem Solving - A great book for exploring and understanding your own biases, double standards, worldviews, and blind spots Triggers - David Richo How to understand your own triggers and heal them How to have power and influence in dealing with people  - counterintuitive title. Short easy read. Practicing Peace - Pema Chodron - a short book Leo shared with me just now though I haven't read it How To Have Impossible Conversations  (which looks like a book I will pick up) I notice that when people get scared, or feel their 'person' or 'ego' gets threatened it basically derails the thread.  But, if I and we can learn to communicate in a better way this forum can become much much more beautiful. I won't be perfect. My ego gets a pleasure out of combatting with me ideas, or being a bit snarky, silly, etc. Hmmm, We will see. Okay, take care
  • 28 replies