Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pavement

Is this a sign of suppression/trauma..?

3 posts in this topic

What does it mean if someone (In this case a male) doesn’t speak out about physical pain and keeps quiet about it?  

For example there was an incident with my male friend today when he was greeting another friend, this other friend (by accident) Stepped on his bare foot and cracked his toenail causing it to bleed.  
My friend didn’t show pain or say anything about it to the other friend.
He then came into another room to me saying he was hurt and searching for a bandage - he didn’t want to say anything he said because he didn’t want the other friend to feel bad or make things awkward.  
I was shocked like wtf you should have at least made it known you were hurt. He said what would that achieve? He didn’t think his pain was as important as the other person not feeling bad. 
After chatting I found out that also as a child he kept quiet about any injuries, such as a when he had a broken wrist he continued his day as usual and another time hitting his head and not bothering his parents about it.  You get the picture.   
Does this sound like some kind of light Trauma? I would say he’s stable and secure and confident but this was the first time I saw some kind of sign of trauma in him..  

Edited by Pavement

Probably at an early point when he naturally tried to get his caregivers attention to the pain/injury they ignored him or made him feel really bad/guilty about it. That's what happened to me and I haven't mentioned health problems to my parents for almost all my adult life now. It's nice that you're picking up that something isn't quite right..

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

Isn't this often part of "standard male societal conditioning"? At least, that's what I've heard from guys that I've been close to, including my own partner.

I got the same treatment growing up as well though. I had gotten the message that my expressions of pain were inconvenient, undesirable, and inappropriate, whether psychological, emotional or physical. At least a few times, I can actively recall being rewarded and praised for taking pain without showing any reaction to it. I definitely prioritized others' well-being and convenience over my own in this way, and believed that this is what made me "good".

He didn’t think his pain was as important as the other person not feeling bad. 
After chatting I found out that also as a child he kept quiet about any injuries, such as a when he had a broken wrist he continued his day as usual and another time hitting his head and not bothering his parents about it.  You get the picture.   

My, this is extremely relatable.