Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wind

Bull Of Zen?

6 posts in this topic

Remembered Leo talking about this map of the path, but never really quite get it conceptually. Where could I read more about it? Because I don't really understand what the bull is referring to? Enlightenment? And after "riding" it for a while, you transcend even the idea of enlightenment? Or is it referring to the mind? If so, what is the source then?

tumblr_m8t3gd6O1z1qf1xt1o1_1280.jpg

Edited by Wind

Hey. So I've done a summary of "Ten Bulls of Zen" (resource: https://beingwithoutself.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/tenoxpics.pdf) and it's still really hard to conceptualize it as it's extremely subtle.

@Leo Gura and others who are familiar with this map, could you look at my summary and check if I get the definitions of Man, Ox and The Source correctly as well as the meaning of stages? When does Enlightenment happens exactly? Does it happen in the Stage 6 or Stage 8, or in other?

Here's how I understand it:

Man - "You" (Later evolves to "Spiritual You", then "Nothingness", then "Buddha") ?
Ox - The teachings and practices of Enlightenment ?
Source
- Life is serving itself ?

1. Seeking Ox: Ego searches for the escape out of suffering  (a.k.a. for True Self), but it's lost, all paths seems to lead to an dead-end.

2. Seeing Traces: Ego finds the hints of it's True Self in teachings. The right direction has been found. All is one? Where is the True Self? Starts inquiry.

3. Finding Ox: True Self is encountered. Taste of Enlightenment.

4. Catching Ox: Chasing the experiences of Enlightenment. Strong discord between Illusion and Truth arises taking you to the very heights and to the very depths of your mind. Easy to get into old ways.

5.Taming Ox: Ego and True Self go together with little resistance. Switching back and forth? With the proper tending, True Self follows of it's own accord. It is confirmed that it's not something you do, but something you are.

6. Returning Home, Riding Ox: Ego and True Self goes together with ease. The suffering is over. Peace of mind has been acquired. In the beginning every path lead to a dead-end, now every path leads home. No turning back.

7. Ox Forgotten, Man Remains: The teachings and practices has been transcended. They're no longer serving the Spiritual Ego. You're one with all and always were. Your life becomes meditation. No conflicting truths.

8. Man and Ox Both Forgotten: Enlightenment? "Spiritual You" disappear. State of Nothingness. Nothing to do.

9. Return to Origin, Back at Source: Life is observing itself. Life naturally starts to expressing itself for compassion.

10. Entering Market with Open Hands: Selfless service without a though of following such tracks. Not even an intent of saving others - life serves itself naturally. Free to care no strings attached.

Note: Do not hang up on the portrayal of the stages, they are arbitrary. Everyone must go through themselves, no two paths are the same. However, the depictions and description are helpful signposts to warn us along the Way.

Edited by Wind

I will cover this in a future video.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I will cover this in a future video.

Cool, really looking forward. Hope it's gonna be this year :3