Lorcan

Meditating In Cold Tempratures?

5 posts in this topic

I meditate outside whenever I go formally meditating, and outside it is rather cold (Anywhere from minus 5 to 8 degrees celsius).I was wandering if there was any added benefits for meditating whilst exposing on self to the cold. For example wearing only a t-shirt on ones upper body when the temprature of 4 degrees.

Would there be any point/extra benefits to meditating whilst exposing oneself to a temprature of say 4 degrees celsius for about 40 minutes or am I just causing myself unnesscary suffering/uncomfortbleness. And also do I expose myself to being more prone to catching some form of sickness such as the flu or cold.

Thanks.

So wait. I wont run the risk of falling ill because of sitting in 4 degrees celsius for 40 minutes?

I thought cold weakens the immune system making you more vunerable to illness?

Edited by Lorcan

Sitting in the cold likely will have the same effect as Strong Determination Sitting. The point of SDS is to break your resistance to the present moment by putting you in so much suffering that you have to give in.

Cold would do the same thing. You're going to be sitting there, thinking "oh god, how much long do I have? This is unbearable". And sometimes it will be pure misery for the entire sit because you won't let go. Just stay conscious and eventually you'll have a breakthrough.

I wouldn't recommend it necessarily every time you do meditation. But it definitely can have it's benefits.

Unfortunately people are answering you from only the meditative perspective like they do when people ask on here if they should take drugs. Cold will immediately raise your blood pressure and you also risk hypothermia.

The point when facing the cold is to relax and be one with the cold. But I would not advise to do it if you show signs like shivering and so on. It is then bad for you.

Tibetan yogis in snow caves stay warm thanks to their tummo meditation. Then again, I would not advise you to start tummo by yourself without having had instructions face to fae with a teacher.