r0ckyreed

How Long Could You Last In The World’s Most Quiet Room? This is True Spirituality

12 posts in this topic

https://youtu.be/i_Rl98sqz6o

“True spirituality is being able to sit in an empty room and be completely satisfied.”

—Leo Gura

“True spirituality is falling in love with the empty room of your mind.” —r0ckyreed

Edited by r0ckyreed

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

I need more time in a quite room like that

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Yeah, I've come to think that's the ultimate acid test - all alone in a silent room, with no distractions. Then you're all alone with everything in your body and mind that you've been avoiding, with nothing to numb the pain or divert your attention.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

@r0ckyreed I feel like this is like setting the bar really low for the heights of enlightenment to be fair.

3 hours ago, RickyFitts said:

Then you're all alone with everything in your body and mind that you've been avoiding, with nothing to numb the pain or divert your attention.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, Esilda said:

@r0ckyreed I feel like this is like setting the bar really low for the heights of enlightenment to be fair.

How so? 

After discovering what is true, what is greater than being totally at peace and happy with absolutely nothing. Most people need something to be happy. The greatest sages need nothing. That is true happiness. 

EDIT: Just because you become enlightened or Truth-realized, does not mean that you have reached the highest levels of human development and potential.  It is one thing to realize Truth, it is another thing to practice it and live from it.

Edited by r0ckyreed

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

i sit at 3 in the morning by the time i finish it's getting light which is a bit annoying as you are seeing the end on the meditation and wishing it done

solution is wear eye pads or tie a bandanna around your eyes

stays dark now, much better ... simple solutions are good

8 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

Exactly.

How so? 

After discovering what is true, what is greater than being totally at peace and happy with absolutely nothing. Most people need something to be happy. The greatest sages need nothing. That is true happiness. 

EDIT: Just because you become enlightened or Truth-realized, does not mean that you have reached the highest levels of human development and potential.  It is one thing to realize Truth, it is another thing to practice it and live from it.

I'm just unsure as to why this is a great achievement though. This has never really been that difficult for me. I'm not enlightened though.

35 minutes ago, Esilda said:

I'm just unsure as to why this is a great achievement though. This has never really been that difficult for me. I'm not enlightened though.

What is a great achievement? 

Being able to fall in love with reality and to find and live with independent and inner-happiness with needing absolutely nothing is one of the greatest achievements I can think of. What else is achieving things for other than to raise your happiness? 

However, I think these videos are pointing to something beyond achievement. I don’t really see love for reality as an achievement because achievement is ego-based and is future and goal-oriented. I think of Love as acceptance and pure satisfaction with reality completely as it is with no desire to change it to suit your needs.

It does not matter who sits the longest in the quiet room. What really matters is the level, perspective, and state of mind from which they sit in the room. That’s the bias of our society/culture. We place quantity over quality.

Edited by r0ckyreed

@r0ckyreed just feels a bit narcisissistic, it feels u're making a fantasy over something very simple and pure. like goals and future doesn't have to be ego when u're just using your mind. why would simply using ones mind/brain be ego? it makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Esilda said:

just feels a bit narcisissistic, it feels u're making a fantasy over something very simple and pure.

How is sitting in a room narcissistic? Maybe I don’t understand. Sitting in a quiet room does simple and pure, don’t it? However, I wouldn’t judge something too fast. I assume you haven’t done it. I haven’t done it, so I really can’t say, but it seems fascinating to experience almost total silence.

Most people I know cannot sit in total silence with their own minds. Even studies show that people prefer to be shocked than to sit for 15 mins with their own thoughts. If you can do this quiet room while being totally in bliss and no desire for anything else, then you have “accomplished” something most humans haven’t. You have found a happiness most cannot even dream of. Doing this while in pain and suffering is a whole other level.

1 hour ago, Esilda said:

like goals and future doesn't have to be ego when u're just using your mind. why would simply using ones mind/brain be ego? it makes no sense. 

What are the goals relative to? Why do you use your mind at all? It is all for your survival as an ego.

Pretty much everything you do is to survive as an ego. Take note of all of what you do and all your goals and really ask whether it is in your self-interest or not. It is all dependent on your ego, your self-identity.

What doesn’t make sense?

Edited by r0ckyreed

I remember seeing accounts like this and basically from what I can gather is that these silent rooms don't drive you crazy from the lack of sound rather it's what you hear in that silence. Like there are reports of people being able to hear themselves breathing, their heart beating, and other bodily functions that are so minute that we otherwise wouldn't hear such as your blood flowing. And that's the thing that drives them insane. 

If anything, I feel like being hyper aware of those sensations can stop you from focussing on the present moment. I believe the first video talked about the room being -9 db. My guess is that the best for meditation would be 0 or just a little higher (granted I don't know how decibles are calculated nor do I have any idea on what a regular silent room would fall in that spectrusm). 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/