Olly

Multi-tasking Good Or Bad?!

14 posts in this topic

What are you guys thoughts on multi-tasking specific tasks. Here are some examples:

Listening to self-help videos while:

- Eating

- Cooking

- Walking to places

Do you think these are acceptable times to listen to videos or should I focus on one task at a time and stay present? Obviously there is a lot of science background that multi-tasking is bad but what about when it comes to mindless tasks which don't require thinking? 

Thanks!

I can't multitask. I  really need to focus on one thing and do it, then the next one and so on.

I think that focusing on one thing at a time is more productive. Why don't you try both?

Take the time it takes you to do them altogether and how much does it take to do them separated?

And then compare, which one of both methods is better for understanding the idea. Because what is the benefit of doing two things at the same time if one of them will suffer, you will miss some information at some points, for sure.

Unless one of the tasks is not so important to you and you can watch it without paying much attention to it.

My two cents.

:-)

Edited by abrakamowse
grammar

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@abrakamowse Thanks! I think sometimes I do notice myself making silly errors when trying to listen to a video while doing the dishes ;) I think doing things one step at a time also allows me to be more mindful throughout the day..

@Oliver I agree.

:)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

That's a question that interests me as well. I am still not sure what is better. The most common case of my own multi-tasking is exactly this one: eating and listening to some YT videos. I think best is just sharing your food time with someone else and maybe have a chat while eating.

We humans simply can't multitask. The mindless stuff we do multitask are the things that does not require your focus but your MUSCLE MEMORY. Yep, there's such a thing just for the record... so you don't really multitask, your body is doing it like an autopilot while your mind is onto something else.. so don't be surprised if you tripp over smth when you're walking and multitasking :D

It is indeed not possible to focus on two things at once, but rather shift focus quickly from one thing to the other, which results in considerably less concentration.

As for listening to videos while doing mindless tasks, why not? You'll still pick something up. Something is an understatement. Unless you want to contemplate existence while eating, listening to something seems like the second best thing.

On 2/19/2016 at 10:58 PM, Markus said:

It is indeed not possible to focus on two things at once, but rather shift focus quickly from one thing to the other, which results in considerably less concentration.

As for listening to videos while doing mindless tasks, why not? You'll still pick something up. Something is an understatement. Unless you want to contemplate existence while eating, listening to something seems like the second best thing.

That's what I kind of thought too. But I am not sure that's ideal though. I am still in doubt whether that's fine or not. I mean Leo talks about showering and listening to videos. Eating and showering, though, are quite different activities.

3 hours ago, ElenaO said:

That's what I kind of thought too. But I am not sure that's ideal though. I am still in doubt whether that's fine or not. I mean Leo talks about showering and listening to videos. Eating and showering, though, are quite different activities.

Ideal for what? You can't fully experience your meal if your focus is on something else. Though, if you manage to get the food inside your body, it undoubtedly will get the physical benefits from that energy source. Do you want to use that specific moment to experience the food or the video/text/any other thing you might focus on, instead of all the sensations you get from chewing that dead piece of cow/lettuce?

Edited by ttm

Depends on how important the task is. I often multitask in the morning or while cooking, but never while watching videos, eating (...). It only feels bad if I jump between big tasks which need more attention. I get easily distracted as well and it makes me nervous.

Going for a walk or working out and listening to music or audio-books at the same time is really the only multitask I do. I like to give my tasks 100% attention and do great at them, not half ass them and miss 50% of the experience

Depends on what you mean by multitasking. If you plan on doing 2 or more activities that require you focused attention it is impossible to do. You can switch between them pretty fast and it might give you the illusion of multitasking but in reality you are doing both things alternatively and not too well. You can multitask if one of the 2 things you do does not require your attention like walking or eating. There is an episode on the show Brain Games called Pay attention! where you can test your attention multitasking skills... or more like you can see how bad you are at paying attention at more than one thing at one :)

Edited by TheMadScientist

Hey everybody,

maybe this has been poste before, but i found this ted talk to be very helpfull

Edited by Mppdidi
felt like this should be mentioned too.