Rasheed

Hair Loss at 18

18 posts in this topic

Hair loss at 18

What can be the cause?

Can high testosterone cause hair loss?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

The vast majority of hair loss cases in young men is due to androgenic male pattern baldness. Its a genetic thing that makes your hair follicles susceptible to the hormone DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), permanently shrinking and finally destroying the hair root in the process. DHT is a more potent form of testosterone, plays a part in many bodily systems from libido to psychoneurology/immune function and is formed from testosterone trough an enzyme called 5α-Reductase. 

There are 3 well known products that can help you fight/delay the hair loss.
1. Minoxidil (Rogaine (C) - twice every day, applied locally at the affected area) + (Microneedling (1,5mm) for better results)
2. Ketoconazole-shampoo (2 times a week)
3. 5α-Reductase-inhibitors (Finasteride) - which is pretty extreme since you basically interfere with hormon-synthesis 

There are more out there products like topical anti-androgens or local dutasteride but I am not convinced by the effect or safety.

95% of hair loss in young men is caused by genetic predisposition- the rest could be due to stress, lack of micro-nutrients (B-vitamins, trace minerals..), thyroid-issues, infectious-diseases, side effects from drugs.....

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, undeather said:

5α-Reductase-inhibitors (Finasteride) - which is pretty extreme since you basically interfere with hormon-synthesis 

Would you say something like Saw Palmetto which appears to have (to a degree) similar function would be comparable in efficacy? I recall doing my thesis on BPH therapeutics and when I was comparing FInasteride and Dutasteride to SP, the differences weren't that huge in those meta analyses. At least in terms of BPH symptoms. Less side effects seemed to be a benefit as well. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Would you say something like Saw Palmetto which appears to have (to a degree) similar function would be comparable in efficacy? I recall doing my thesis on BPH therapeutics and when I was comparing FInasteride and Dutasteride to SP, the differences weren't that huge in those meta analyses. At least in terms of BPH symptoms. Less side effects seemed to be a benefit as well. 

When my hair started falling out couple of years ago I panicked and researched every avilable hair loss product, including saw palmetto. Back then, I couldnt find a lot of decent data, but the mechanism of action (5-alpha-reductase inhibition through fatty acids/sterols) made sense, so I tried it for 12 months. In my case it didnt do anything, even at very high doses (up to 1g daily). The more decent trials showed about 1/2 the effect size of finasteride while only affecting the crown area and not the front. (where I was thinning at)

The reasons why I hesitate recommending SP:
1) As you know, there is a huge issue with different kind of contaminations in supplements. The supplements you get on the internet are usually not very well tested and the propabiltiy of chronically poisoning yourself is pretty high. Maybe there is a good brand out there that does all the necessary tests (like neurohacker does with its nootropic stacks), but I dont know one personally! 
2) You are artificially lowering your DHT levels - that thats not a good thing for your health in general should be pretty clear. I recommend Finasteride as the last resort and with an even lower dose as recommended (0.2-0.75g).  
3) I am a big fan of Minoxodil + Microneedling + Keto-shampoo since you dont act systemically. Personally, I got great, great results with this kind of combo and I never had any side effects. If you can prevent system-therapy with similar results than this is always the preferable treamtment option.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@undeather makes sense, thanks for clarifying that. 

I guess my thing against these 5AR blockers was that they can mess up with a person's libido and sex drive,is that not so? I recall seeing some of those adverse effects of Finasteride which seemed quite vicious. But yah, contamination is always a concern in natural products. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Get used to it. Shave your head.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Hair transplant surgery seems to be a viable option if you’re willing to spend some money.

I started losing my hair at about 20 so I feel you.

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Me as well I think 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Rasheed @Rasheed I've been suffering severe hair loss for 3 months or more. In my case it's covid after effects ( I had it 4 times before getting vaccinated) 

Its supposed to be temporal though. 

Recently Tamed Feral Buddhist Critter                   Restful Cube        

Majority is primarily genetics, passed down through men on your mother's side

Don't waste too much time obsessing about why or trying to fix it though. You can waste thousands of dollars and hours in futility trying to hold on to your hair. Eventually it's all going to go. Just accept it

Like Leo said, just shave your head, and move on from it.

Look at the channel BaldCafe on Youtube for inspiration... tons of videos of guys who finally bit the bullet and shaved it all off, and they consistently look sooo much better after - https://www.youtube.com/c/Baldcafe/videos

Edited by Yarco

I started losing my hair at around my early 20s. I now have a bald spot at the crown of my head. I know how you feel OP, at least to some degree. I feel insecure about my bald spot everyday.

I think mine was caused by too much dihydrotestosterone, because at the same time I was losing hair from the top my head, I was gaining more body hair on my chest, shoulder and back of my neck. 

If you still have a good amount of hair left then maybe try some kind of hair concealer for a while. I haven't used it myself, but I actually want to try it on myself soon. 

Edited by Hardkill

1 hour ago, Yarco said:

Majority is primarily genetics, passed down through men on your mother's side

Isn’t the mother side thing a myth? My mother’s side has amazing hair but not me. Or did I just get especially unlucky?

Edited by Dryas

Thanks everyone for the answers

• I could not understand one thing: So it turns out to be because of testosterone? What difference between TRT vs. DHT ?
  • What’s the best solution which helped you the most other than Minoxodil + Microneedling + Keto-shampoo?

P.S I have lot of hair on entirety of my body, that’s a sign of high testosterone, That’s why I asked if could TRT cause that.

Edited by Rasheed

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

I know this might not be what you want to hear, but you will get over it. Work out lik hell and get a killer physique if you care that much about looks.

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

@Rasheed Go to youtube type in "More Plates More Dates" followed by hair loss. He makes very good videos investigating what causes hair loss and practical solutions for fixing them. Your young so you can still prevent a lot of hair loss take the time to educate yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n-L-g9WaNM

Start with this video and go down the rabbit hole from there

On 12/12/2021 at 10:23 PM, Rasheed said:

Hair loss at 18

What can be the cause?

Can high testosterone cause hair loss?

I think I found a stack to help preserve your hair. I believe there is a cause for premature balding, so seek the true cure 

high testosterone is not the cause of hair loss or male pattern baldness, high DHA is!
and it's because you may have a genetic background for it.
but other than that, try to eat healthy food and enrich your diet with different minerals necessary for the body.
also, avoid canned stuff at all costs!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"